main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leia's lightsaber form?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Game3525, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Has it been said what form she uses?

2. DarthUr

DarthUr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Form VI would fit her personality.

3. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking, Form VI or Form V.(Got to stick with the family tradition[face_mischief])

4. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Likely a not terribly answerable question. She began her lightsaber training before the rediscovery of the forms, and while she trained again later in life, she did so under Saba Sebatyne, who was herself trained well outside the auspices of the form-embracing order, and therefore likely didn't teach the forms. If she did, Saba herself would almost certainly not have been a Form VI user (and for that matter, given the aggression Leia regularly displays, she probably isn't either, if she uses any "form" rather than a more mixed style).

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, with my belief that the 'forms' are more philosophies of fighting rather than actual moves, I'd stick Leia solidly into V. She's usually quite aggressive, iirc.

6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Yeah, Leia like her brother and father before her is pretty burly in the dueling department.

I don't imagine her ever displaying the kind of lightsaber versatility that Luke does though. That dude's practically mastered every form simply because of this uncanny natural aptitude for the lightsaber that enabled him to pick up form V just from fighting Darth Vader. I don't think Yoda or Obi-Wan ever trained him in forms specifically except the most basic uses of the lightsaber and deflecting blaster bolts... and chopping up as many metal bars as fast as possible.

7. DarthUr

Oct 14, 2008
    Well, Luke is supposed to be the uber-Jedi Son of Suns who can do anything.

Doesn't TUF imply that he singlehandedly reinvents Vapaad, too?

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I wouldn't call it an implication so much as an outright nod.

And honestly-it does make a sort of sense. Luke isn't the most inwardly calm Jedi ever, but he's got exceptional mental discipline-easily that of Mace's, and probably then some. I could see him inventing something akin to Vaapad.

Altough frankly, Luke doesn't need Vaapad to be the baddest Jedi ever. :p

9. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Could Leia also have the Saber style copying mojo that Luke has?

I thought that they were supposed to have the same potential

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    George said they did.

Whether or not Leia has actually reached that potential, I don't know.

11. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Force potential =/= other talents. Luke is an exceptionally talented swordsman. That's immensely augmented by his force abilities, but he's pretty obviously a more talented swordsman than his father. Admittedly, Vader was holding back a bit, but Luke still picked up enough Form V to be able to hit him in the shoulder after having had less than 6 months formal training - just from dueling him. Leia is unlikely to have that exact same talent, especially since we know she has other talents that Luke doesn't. :)

12. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Somehow I never saw Leia relying on V. I mean she was in her fifties when knighted. I vaguely or barely remember her fight with Alema Rar but I saw her a very kinetic fighter. Doesn't V imply a certain amount of aggression and tapping into hard force driven atacks? I picture Leia utilizing IV and maybe III to a degree. Had she trained from an early age a form II master would have been nice. A Dooku level elegant fencer.

13. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Form IV is Yoda's specialty... I don't see Leia doing alot of Force assisted leaps and such in a fight... she's all bashing blades and boots to the ribs and stuff. That's her father's style.

14. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    TUF quoted Luke's blade as 'whirling so fast, he appeared to be wielding 20 lightsabers at once.' Definitely something similar to Vapaad. Not sure it mentions the word Vapaad per se, but to me it sounded like a definite variation.

Plus, Luke is so adept at lightsaber combat, I'm sure he's recreated a large majority of what the Old Republic Jedi regarded as different forms and lightsaber styles. Same with Leia, I'd guess.

But to answer the question, I'd agree with what was mentioned above --- her style mostly seems to incorporate a mixture of forms. Like Luke, I'm sure she (and a lot of other NJO Jedi) alternates between styles and forms as the situation/opponent varies.

15. SuperLariat

SuperLariat Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    From the text I can remember, Leia seems to be about form IV.5, somewhere between IV and V. A lot of the big, powerful attacks and physicality while maintaining a certain amount of deftness, alighting onto tree branches, weird angles and anti-grav fighting situations.

16. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Luke could probably watch a holotape of lightsaber instruction and pick it up like it was nothing. He's insanely gifted in all things Jedi Arts related.

Leia's obviously extremely gifted in diplomacy, and she should be honing her Force skills in that direction. Why no one ever thought "dude, Leia's perfect for being the Jedi negotiator" is beyond me. She's scrappy and always was, but she's not a warrior in the sense that Luke is. Leia's skills have always been largely political, while Luke wasn't even tested in an X-Wing and ended up being an ace fighter jock in the Battle of Yavin even without having killed the Death Star. Leia was always the pretty face of Rebel politics, and later the pretty face of New Republic politics. Why she can be the regally beautiful face of Jedi diplomacy is beyond my ability to fathom at this point. Apparently being ranked Jedi Knight and having a lightsaber on your belt means you have to hack at people and kick faces in. She better be taking the role of public/political face of the Jedi in FOTJ with Luke being exiled from the Order and known space to appease CoS Nutsy Daala, is all I have to say.

17. DarthUr

Oct 14, 2008
    There was the convenient excuse that the control system of a T-16 Skyhopper was so similar to that of an X-Wing that they trained X-Wing pilots in Skyhoppers.

Of course, unless a Skyhopper actually was identical to an X-Wing in its performance and handling rather than just its controls -- in which case they'd be able to just sell Skyhoppers as X-Wings -- there's no freaking way Luke should be as proficient with one as a seasoned combat pilot.

But then, I always got the impression that Luke bulls-eyeing womp-rants was supposed to be a far more impressive act than he was aware of given his backwater past -- like stories of an untrained teenager playing sandlot baseball throwing 100-mph fastballs casually as though it were no big deal.

18. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    didn't Callista give Leia some training? That might influence her style. Callista probably new the Seven Classic styles, given her background.

19. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I think whatever training Leia got earlier in life, Saba's training now dominates her fighting style. That much is obvious from the focus on her final duel with Alema Rar and how she got through it due to reliance on Saba's training and also her knock-down, drag-out tooth-spitting brawl with Tarfang in LOTF.

I think people want Leia to use form VI or IV or even II because it sounds like it better fits the parts of her personality that we associate with her diplomatic skills, and her insane ability to retain a level of calm capability.

But I actually kind of like that she has such a wildly different fighting style; also I like that it calls back to the fact that while she's an excellent politician, that doesn't necessarily mean that her personality is even-tempered. Luke inherited his talents (swordsmanship, piloting) from his father, while Leia inherited many of hers from her mother (political talent, diplomacy), but in terms of personality I think that Luke far more resembles his mother while Leia takes after her father.

Either way, it's pretty much established canon that Leia fights really, really dirty when she fights and is pretty aggressive about it too. I doubt it's any classical form, though if I had to guess, I'd imagine there'd be heavy hints of V because that's Luke's form and is therefore, I imagine, a fairly common one for NJO Jedi to learn and it fits her aggressive style.

But I also quite like the idea of her using Form I, which I recall is pretty blunt and to the point, which seems to be Saba's thing.

So I guess I'd say Form I with hints of Form V and a LOT of dirty tricks and brawling.

20. NewStaryknight

NewStaryknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2007
    Thats true. I always that thought Alema's snark comment to Leia in TUQ was a bit off. She said that she was too old to start being a real Jedi which was totally bogus. What she should have said was that she was too old to start being a Jedi as powerful as Luke.

21. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I thought form I was just basic swordplay and not necessarily something that people tend to specialize in because that's what one learns basically to wield that lightsaber. So maybe Luke was actually given barebones instruction with form I by Yoda and Obi-Wan(it's long been a theory of mine that the seeker remotes are programed to move randomly in patterns that force the lightsaber wielder to use movements from certain forms, like setting them up for certain movements). I still think Leia's more of a form V fighter because of how brutal her fighting is, and form V is all about that brute stength batter down the opponent's guard and destroy them.

22. NewStaryknight

NewStaryknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah, and I guess thats one of the reasons why she put off her knighthood for such a long time. She knows that she takes after her father when it comes to her temper, but I like how she usually is always able to notice this fact before she does something she might regret.

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I thought form I was just basic swordplay and not necessarily something that people tend to specialize in because that's what one learns basically to wield that lightsaber. So maybe Luke was actually given barebones instruction with form I by Yoda and Obi-Wan(it's long been a theory of mine that the seeker remotes are programed to move randomly in patterns that force the lightsaber wielder to use movements from certain forms, like setting them up for certain movements). I still think Leia's more of a form V fighter because of how brutal her fighting is, and form V is all about that brute stength batter down the opponent's guard and destroy them.

No; Form I is an actual form in and of itself; it bridges the transition from swords to lightsabres for Jedi.

24. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Like I said, form I is basic swordplay and it doesn't emphasize any particular style of fighting over another. It's what Jedi learn first, all Jedi.

25. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Doesn't mean you couldn't be a badass with it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.