main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Pronunciation of the new planets...?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hi guys,

So... Some planets were named and some were not. So it got me to thinking - How do you pronounce the ones not mentioned??

Hosnian Prime = hoz-knee-an pry-mmm
    Jakku = seems to be jack-oo or jark-oo depending on accents
    D'Qar = ? Is it dee-car?? Or something else?
    Takodana = Tack-oh-darna
    Ach-to = ? Is it ack-to or ack-toe??

Anyone want to take a crack at the planets not mentioned in the film?

:cool:

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  2. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    What new planets?

3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Mostly what I got out of it, but I have always said D'Qar more like "Duh-car," or I'm not even sure how to spell it, but like a really fast soft D, "duh" kind of sound. Takodana doesn't have an R at the end lol, just Tack-oh-Dan-uh to me.

They say both Jack-oo or Juh-KOO, almost like some people put extra emphasis on the last part of the word. It's kind of funny.

Dak Oolron and Dewback like this.
  4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
  5. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

Haz-knee-an-pry-mm

Jah-koo

Dee-car

Tahk-o-dah-nah. Where did u get an r sound?

Ahk-two. This 1 I have not heard yet pronounced Ahch rhymes with mock in Ahch-Tu I think

Bowen likes this.
  6. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hosnian Prime - Hose-nee-an Pry-mm

Jakku - Jah-Ku

D'Qar - Dee-Car

Takodana - Tack-O-Dana

Ach-To - Arch-Too (sounds like the sound we make when sneezing... [face_laugh] )

7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I say it the same way you do... No idea why I put the r in??

8. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    If I have ever learned anything from George Lucas it is you are allowed to pronounce names in Star Wars however you like. Honestly, it is probably one of those things that makes the Star Wars galaxy so interesting. Like the real world people have accents, and pronounce things differently.

Colm and Darth Basin like this.
  9. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

Yes! I even heard the word Twi'lek pronounced as Twy-leck & Twee-leck in the same TCW episode! Also over the cource of TCW I heard Coruscant pronounced as....

Core-o-sant

Core-a-sant

Core-ou-sant, ou rhyming with two, and

Core-rue-sant with an extra r even though there is no second r.

To-may-toe, Tah-ma-toe!!!!!

10. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    You mean like Dick-car, Dickar, D'Qar

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah exactly like Dickar, that's it. I just feel if it's D' it's not a hard stop on that letter like D-Car. That doesn't make sense to my brain.

I know that supposedly it's Twee-lek but sorry I refuse to say that :p Sounds stupid. I've always said Twy-Lek. That's what it looks like to me - no idea why "i" becomes "ee" lol

12. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016
    I'm convinced it's "d-car" personally!

Ach-To is either "Ach-toe" or "Ach-two". I think it might be the latter, as it sounds suspiciously like "Act two"...

Bowen likes this.
  13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Ach-to isn't the official name as far as we know though, is it? All we know for sure is that it was referred to as that in the script, but it's not been officially named.

14. Knights of Ben

Jan 30, 2016
    Is that not pretty definitive though? I suppose episode 8 could change the name, but I don't see why it would.

15. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I think it's a placeholder name, and was only ever named as such, which is why it sounds so much like "act two"; it's quite telling that since release its the only planet that hasn't been definitively named. I could be wrong, but until there's an officially released source, the name is not set in stone

16. Knights of Ben

Jan 30, 2016
    And you could be right as well of course. It's just I wasn't aware of any previous examples of the name of a location in an official screenplay being used as a placeholder for a reveal in a subsequent movie, unless it's already implicit in the text (I.e. the name is clearly a codename in the context of a spy movie, for example). That said, yes this does appear to be the only source where Ach-To is mentioned, and I suppose there is already plenty of mystery around this location already...

17. Jakku

Jakku Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    'Ach-to' can be read as 'Act 2' or H²O, ie water, for a water world. Probably just a placeholder name.

Apart from place names, I was amused by the different pronunciations of 'Falcon', by characters facing each other saying it.

18. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    That's pretty close to how I say them.

On a side note, does anyone think Takodana is a weed smoking reference? I mean it's a green planet, the band was playing reggae, and the name almost sounds like toking down now.

Darth Basin and Bowen like this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, it's how "i" is pronounced in most languages so ;)
    As someone from a country where "Twi-lek" looks like it should be pronounced "Twee-lek", I'm glad they went for what's intuitive for me for once. You should've heard how I pronounced Tatooine as a kid :p

Dewback likes this.
  20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha, I guess that Twi-lek to me looks like twilight, which isn't said "Twee-Light," but "Twy-Light" so I can't really understand that. Plus it just... it sounds really lame, TBH lol. It's like WHEEEEE, the TWEEEE leks :p

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Sorry to go off topic, but I've only just noticed your signature. I'm probably very late to this but what does it refer to? Have you written books/essays about those films? Would be interested to read them if so

22. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah, I've written two books on the Star Wars prequels, so those are the full titles of the books. I believe both should be available on Amazon still though there's an ebook version of at least one of them (used to be two). Kind of like a full look at the impact of each of the films and all of the crazy hype surrounding them, their various successes, etc. I also wrote a separate essay in a published book titled "Finding the Force of the Star Wars Franchise: Fans, Merchandise, & Critics." My contribution was "Hokey Religions and Ancient Weapons: The Force of Spirituality," which was an examination of the various religious themes in the prequels. I had a lot of fun writing that, I was first author with an old professor of mine from college.

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    What about Starkiller Base? Isn't there rumours that it was called Ilum or similar before The First Order took it over... ?

24. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Well, if we see from some map of the Galaxy in DK Books' excellent "TFA: The Visual Dictionary", the planet Ilum sits on almost the exact location of SKB... So rumor has it that SKB is indeed the former Ilum and it was chosen for the high amount of crystals, or something like that, needed to suck the light of its nearby sun and power the massive laser beam weapon.

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

25. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    I always assume the 'canon' way to pronounce star wars words is what we hear in the films. It really annoys me when there's references to new character names or planets in print, online, books or whatever but they never say it in the movie so everybody starts pronouncing it differently!

of course if you watch interviews with George he pronounces almost everything "wrong"/different from what they say in the movies.

Side note, some people i know think when Han said "boba fett" in ROTJ he said "Bobba" as opposed to the clear "Boe-ba" that you hear in AOTC. I think the way Han said it it was kind of somewhere between?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.