main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Spew Warnings - cartoons by pronker (edited July 17. 2022)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by pronker, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I love what you've done with this one.

Best of luck for the challenge!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    This is Unintentional Pop Art, which resulted from 1. downloading from deviantArt a template for celebrating their 19th birthday, 2. coloring it after drawing on it in Photos in a fairly mundane style, penguins and background being white with black used for lineart and colors used in Photos, too, 3. clicked "save copy" and ... then ... BLAMMO! White background, white penguins reversed, except for their black feathers, which turned gray. Kitty and the dA mascot, Fella, stayed the way I colored them. 4. Piece shows where I erased overcoloring marks. I'm at a loss to explain first, why this occurred, and next, why I didn't get an original to at least try again with. The only file is this one in Downloads. :/ Any ideas as to why or how to keep it from happening again greatly appreciated! :)

EAD 082219: Per the ever-gracious and helpful Corellian_Outsider, "Since it is PNG, its definitely the Alpha channel of the PNG acting up when the file was converted to JPEG."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  3. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [​IMG]
    This is a chibi saola from deviantArt's contest to win a Wacom tablet, which concluded July 14th: "Draw An Animal You'd Like To Befriend." Crayons and colored pencils on white stiff board. (There is nothing below the drawing, do not look behind the curtain! Move along, nothing to see here![face_devil])

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  4. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [​IMG] WIP. After obtaining this oil or acrylic *I would like to know how to tell the difference* in an auction featuring the painting I really wanted and which now hangs on the wall, it seemed like this extra one ... needs penguins. The plan is to add them diving into the water, which, after wrestling with perspective, seems effective if the four POM birds swing in on ropes or dive from the upper third of this painting, so as not to obscure the subject lake and mountains. There are two figures fishing from the outcropping at bottom middle if you look closely and the photo shows the painting as a bit darker than it actually is. The blues and browns are still muted, however. Any advice welcomed. :)

Another question is how to clean this because it's slightly dusty. One online hint is to rub bread on it to absorb detritus and another is to rub it with spit, ew.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nice atmospheric painting!

I'm not sure if anyone was able to answer your question, but in terms of telling the difference between an oil and acrylic painting, it's a very easy test. Simply hold it up and tilt the painting at an angle so that the light catches the texture on the canvas. If the painting looks 'lumpy' or as if it has a lot of layers, it's likely oil. In contrast, acrylic dries very smooth and it won't have much of a texture at all. If anything, it may look rubbery... or like plastic. Hopefully, that will steer you in the right direction. :)

Also, dusting is also very easy! No need to use spit (I've never heard of that one before... LOL!). All you need is a soft bristle brush, which you can rub gently over the painting.

Tia and pronker like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That painting turned out lovely. Really nice pallette.

pronker likes this.
  7. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks for replying - yes, a mod replied with the 'looks rubbery' comment standing out. I did this, and yes, it looks acrylic. I'm cleaning it next. :)

HanSolo29 likes this.
  8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Excellent, I'm glad to hear that!

Please keep us informed on how the cleaning process works out for you, or if you have any other questions. :) An acrylic painting should be much more forgiving in terms of maintenance. You may even be able to get away with using a white cotton cloth, water, and olive oil-based soap for some of the more stubborn areas.

9. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    For tumblr's #2023Madaparty, I 'improved' the thrift store painting, adding acrylic Penguins of Madagascar characters in the foreground over acrylic original landscape. *sigh* Photobucket no longer hosts free accounts, and LiveJournal seems to have changed its procedures re uploading, so here goes ("open image in new tab" works, I'm open to other suggestions): [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
  10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey @pronker

Yeah, Photobucket has been pushing their agenda lately to get people to hand over their money. I received an email from them weekly for the past month or so about how to pay to keep my account open. No thanks.

But anyway, there are some nice alternatives that you can use to host your images. I would recommend either ImgBB or Imgur – both are free to sign up. I think there is a data limit, but I don't think it's overly restrictive. I've been using Imgur for years to host all the images I use on the forums.

pronker likes this.