main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Jedi (Fallen Order, Survivor) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Glitterstimm, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The copious amount of back-tracking required in many of the levels can be a bit of a slog, but most enemy encounters can actually be avoided if you just Jedi-sprint through them. Cuts down on the playtime substantially.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    But it's also a good way to test out & perfect your newly unlocked powers before major boss fights

3. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Seen some speculation that the alabaster-skinned villain from the trailers may be a Jedi from the High Republic era . . .

I’m not at all caught up on what’s been happening on that side of the franchise, so no ideas on what more could be happening there. It does seem noteworthy that many of the enemies are prequel era battle droids, which would support a story that looks to the past.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Digging through the second visit to Zeppo during this session (my longest session yet!), going through the crashed Venator and Ice Caverns. Enjoying the environmental navigation (though took me a few deaths to visually understand/recognize an ice slide U-turn, as well as the wall run panel next to the two ice cavern gears).

One thing I'm finding difficulty with, though, is really understanding the combat system. At least when it comes to creatures & (to a much lesser degree) K2 droids (basically any non-trooper/Inquisitor enemy, because their behaviors are harder to interpret than humanoids). Part of it is because I did the tutorials 10 months ago and part of it is it not being intuitive/responsive at all. And difficult to figure out through trial and error practice since so many creatures can kill you in 1 or 2 shots and respawning takes so much time to reload and return.

So, part of it is I need to find a refresher video on the basics (doesn't seem like you can access it in the game itself, unless it's on the main menu which I'll have to check for next time i do a session). But as a quick question or two since I'd like to take down the rare rabid beastie inside the Venator at some point but even the normal ones take a stim to get through currently.

So, I'm assuming that when an enemy turns red it's actually a warning for a serious attack and not, as one would assume, a signal to attack an exposed target, right? In those cases you are supposed to- what? Hit evade? Use sticks and/or L1 to sprint away? Because what ends up happening when I try those things is I still get hit because I'm obviously within melee range. And if I try to run, I seem to do so slowly or not at all (I suspect because in combat you're locked onto a target?) so I'm either still unable to avoid the attack or it is able to close the distance with a strike anyways and the result is basically the same either way.

Basically, I'm trying to understand what kinda generic ratta-tat-tat pattern they want you to construct to fill in with your combat option/evade/run choices. Like, that beastie's info says rapid attacks and moving around a lot disorient it, but doing any of that just brings you face to face with its belly, it still attacks you anyways and the only time it seems to stop or react to your actions and allow you an opportunity to really strike is when it flashes red (and which point it seems you're screwed and, thus, would be a very poor combat strategy).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Red equals unblockable, major attack that you dodge or get hit very badly by.

Also, drop the difficulty - you can put it back up once you're familiar with the system.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  6. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Red attacks are unblockable and can't be parried, but some can be interrupted with Force Push/Pull. Dodge/evade if possible, but interrupting will usually expose them to your own attack which is always nice.

Against powerful enemies like purge troopers or large monsters, the strongest tactic is usually to parry their attacks, which will deplete their stamina bar and expose them to devastating attacks. All enemies have their own move sets with timings, sneaking attacks into their combos or at the end is crucial.

The2ndQuest and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for clarifying. What's the suggested way to study an enemy's attack pattern? Evade at a distance? The K2 droids are a pain because they close distances so quickly that I haven't been able to get a read on them consistently- I just know to avoid the choke slam. And the big beasties don't really give you a choice to run with their reach.

While I am trying to get through the game quickly, I'm still trying to keep it at Jedi Knight. It seems like a fair challenge overall so far and hasn't given me too much trouble (I expect to die at bosses a few times). I was tempted to drop it against the Second Sister on Zeffo, but then I found out you only need to drain her life meter to 50% to trigger the end of the encounter, thankfully. But I was able to get a pretty good read on her attack pattern. It was more just the lack of basics that I had forgotten that was handicapping my response to it.

Besides, between this, Fire Emblem Awakening and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I seem pretty good at going through half or more of a game without understanding or using their core game mechanics ;). Pairing up characters? Why would I do that? ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Glitterstimm and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    J: FO is ultimately a Souls game, specifically, it’s a Sekiro clone. Cal is carefully sized to make enemies’ attack patterns bigger and trackable. Respawn weren’t nearly as elegant as From, but it’s the same concept, the enemy animations just aren’t so crisp.

Ironically though their name is apt, you have to grind those respawn points and fight through encounters by trial and error. Many encounters can be bypassed by just running/jumping as well, to get to a new campfire/meditation/save point.

Also, if you haven’t gone to Dathomir yet, there is a major upgrade there that opens up new combos for Cal. You can get it without pushing very deep into your planet/level.

The K2 droids: iirc, their stamina bar is pretty weak, one or two parries will open them to a finisher. I think they are weak to force push too, and also there’s a nasty BD1 upgrade you can get that wrecks them, but I forget where it’s at.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    The2ndQuest and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Haven't played any Souls games yet (just weren't available on platforms I had- and, somehow, Elden Ring has become the game I have heard the most about without ever having seen a screenshot or seen footage from it [face_laugh]. But that's what happens when you primarily get your gaming news and reactions via podcasts, I suppose...), but I understand the base, NES-like concept of "you will die, try and try again" that they have.

Was actually very disappointed about 10 years ago when I had hoped to register "preparetodie.com" for a video game-related site only to find the Souls series had already claimed it :p. But I guess I hadn't thought of JFO in that context, given its heavier Metroidvania qualities. But I can definitely see it.

And, yeah, I haven't gone to Dathomir yet. Been hoping the story will take me there soon, since I chose the other planet at the first branching opportunity. But will take a trip there on my own at some point, for certain, if necessary. Apparently there's also an upgrade that lets you swim underwater back on Kashyyk that I assume I'll be able to acquire the next time I go there.

...and what/where is the stamina bar? [face_clown]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    Glitterstimm likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Enemies have two bars displayed - health and stamina. If they block you, they still take a stamina hit, so if you keep up the offence you can break their ability to guard.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  11. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    The strongest way to deplete enemy stamina is with parries, hit the block button right as their attack is going land on you. Mashing block can work too :cool:. Many enemies will be exposed to a finisher move when their last stamina is depleted that way, iirc

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

JFO really shows how all Souls games could and should have difficulty settings for accessibility.

Jedi Ben and Glitterstimm like this.
  13. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    I’m inclined to agree. There is a severe elegance to how From balances their games, a kind of cruel perfection, but ultimately they would probably be better served with difficulty options, they’d gain more than they’d lose.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Like it wouldn't affect current players but as someone with poor reflexes in one hand due to nerve damage, I can't play the originals.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I have to admit - it feels really strange me giving advice on how to play a SW Souls-like!

solojones likes this.
  16. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's looking good.

18. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I see there is more sliding and wall jumping :p

Ghost, TiniTinyTony and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The complaints on the sliding tended to be around the lack of control response speed and design. Sometimes you couldn't see what you needed to, nor have the buttons register in time.

The wall running was generally far better - no surprise as they first did it in Titanfall 2. Well, save for that one too goddamn long section on Kashyyyk...

What I would want them to fix is the whole "click L2 to grab" on climbing. Add an optional auto-grab / climb setting.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Ugh, yes!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It was what, 8-9 jumps? Plus a camera perspective that made it harder still.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I think I had to do it twenty times before I succeeded.
    But apart from that one place I never minded the wallrunning.

Ghost, starfish and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, every time apart from that one it was great.

You ever play Titanfall 2?

24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    No, I'm honestly not much of a gamer. I mostly play SW games, as well as some of the classic Nintendo franchises. I'd like to play more video games, but I so seldom have the time for it these days.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Titanfall 2 is a short but excellent game. It's about 5-6 hours long. It's often on sale for £3.99 too.

TCF-1138 likes this.