main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Squadrons and Alphabet Squadron in-depth story breakdown

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sturm Antilles, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Okay, so I know that this game and book series more or less take place at 0-1 years after Endor, but after looking around online, I have so far come up empty on a breakdown as to exactly what segments -- chapter by chapter -- might coincide with game events and vice versa. I have owned Squadrons and the whole paperback set of the Alphabet Squadron Trilogy for nigh on two years now and have yet to begin either one (other than a couple of trial runs through Squadrons on the tutorial/intro chapters.)

Did anybody read the books while playing the game and take not of specific events along the timeline of the stories? If so, I'd love to recreate that when I delve in. I prefer to do it in the moment rather than afterward. My OCD and all.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So I haven't played the game, but I believe it coincides with at least part of Shadow Fall- basically the parts where Hera is off doing her own thing is when Squadrons is happening. Then of course there's Aftermath to toss into the mix.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    This is a start.

Does anybody have some page numbers and specifics?

4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Alphabet is referenced in Squadrons cosmetics,and I think Vanguard squadron might get an off hand mention in one of the Alphabet books but I can't remember which.

5. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm talking about a timeline of the book trilogy (and the Aftermath Trilogy by proxy) in relation to specific missions in Squadrons. Or does the Squadrons campaign more or less entirely take place prior to the Alphabet Squadron (and Aftermath) book series?

Times like this is when I miss Nathan Butler's Star Wars Timeline PDF. (RIP.)

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  6. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    It really was a stunning work.

I've never played Squadrons (don't think this machine could run it) so my timeline sheet only includes the Aftermath-Alphabet Squadron intersection. I'll try to avoid spoilers for this thread since you haven't read it yet. When I came up with my dates, I assumed a 365-day, 7-day week calendar.

Alphabet Squadron Chapter 1 occurs the same week that Operation Cinder launches, which is 17 days after the Battle of Endor. Chapter 2 opens around 40 days after the Battle of Endor. The book's narrative continues for about another month or so.

Aftermath opens 3 months after the Battle of Endor. The last chapter is at about 4-5 months ABE. Life Debt picks up around 5 months ABE. Shadow Fall chapters 1-12 can be sandwiched between chapters 15-16 of Life Debt, and then LD Chapter 21 is followed by SF Chapters 13-22. LD Chapters 22-42 run until the end of the year.

Victory's Price picks up at 11 months after the Battle of Endor. Most of VP and Aftermath: Empire's End run almost perfectly concurrently. The Battle of Jakku occurs exactly 369 days after the Battle of Endor, or 12 months and 4 days.

If there were transcripts online of Squadrons dialog that references days/weeks/months after Endor or Operation Cinder or other landmark events, I could potentially slice up the missions to intersect with book events. Unfortunately, I have yet to find such a transcript.

Foreign32567 likes this.
  7. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Thanks a bunch, Golboco! This gets the ball running further and helps me place sections within my own post-Endor timeline. I saw your initial post from Reddit (just before I posted here), from about two years back, so your username here stood out. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    Golbolco likes this.
  8. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Glad to hear it! I think I'm about due for uploading a new copy to the web, there just haven't been any major revisions since my last go. But, depending on how this thread goes, I hope to include Squadrons in it!

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  9. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    The very first mission of Squadrons takes place almost immediately after the destruction of Alderaan, possibly even before the Battle of Yavin. The game then jumps forward to after Endor, and at that point everything seems to happen in very quick succession. I never got the feeling more than a few days at most passed between missions, so once Hera leaves the Alphabet Squadron books for a bit I'd say the entire campaign (barring the first mission) happens in one big chunk.

We also know it has to take place while Sloane is an Admiral, but not yet a Grand Admiral due to her uniform's appearance.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    Dawud786, Golbolco and Sturm Antilles like this.
  10. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Thanks, Ewoklord!

Here's a rough timeline of what I have so far, including connected side-stories like Shattered Empire (just the "in-between"/relevant issues) and Blade Squadron content. You guys go over this and suggest any notes, changes, or additional references. I'd really like to pin this period down and have this thread be a resource for everybody, not just me.

The Alphabet Squadron Trilogy - Alphabet Squadron (Chapter 1) (Note: This takes place 17 days after the Battle of Endor.)
    The Alphabet Squadron Trilogy - Alphabet Squadron (Chapters 2-23) (This begins 40 days after the Battle of Endor.)

Shattered Empire #3 (3 months after the Battle of Endor)
    Shattered Empire #4 (3 months after the Battle of Endor)
    "Turning Point" short story (from Star Wars Insider #169)
    "Blade Squadron - Zero Hour" short story (from Star Wars Insider #160)
    "Hare-Brained Heist" (from Star Wars Adventures Annual 2019)

Aftermath Trilogy - Aftermath (3-5 months after the Battle of Endor)

Uprising mobile game (3-10 months after the Battle of Endor)
    Star Wars: Squadrons (main campaign; 5 months after the Battle of Endor)

Aftermath Trilogy - Life Debt (Chapters 1-15; 5 months after the Battle of Endor)

"Blade Squadron - Kuat" short story (from Star Wars Insider #168) (concurrent with Aftermath - Left Debt?)

The Alphabet Squadron Trilogy - Shadow Fall (Chapters 1-12)
    Aftermath Trilogy - Life Debt (Chapters 16-21)
    The Alphabet Squadron Trilogy - Shadow Fall (Chapters 13-22)
    Aftermath Trilogy - Life Debt (Chapters 22-42; 6 to 10 months after the Battle of Endor)
    --
    The Alphabet Squadron Trilogy - Victory's Price (11-12 months after the Battle of Endor)
    Aftermath Trilogy - Empire's End (11-12 months after the Battle of Endor)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  11. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Hmm. If Sloane is not yet Grand Admiral during Squadrons but parts of Squadrons intersect with Shadow Fall, then I probably need to move Shadow Fall backwards and decouple it from Life Debt. Rae Sloane becomes Grand Admiral fairly early on in Life Debt's narrative, doesn't she?

12. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I wasn't aware that the campaign intersected with Shadow Fall. Okay. Some workarounds are needed.

Doing a text-search of the eBook of Life Debt, the first mention of Sloane as a Grand Admiral is from Chapter 3:

"Sloane stands in the center of a glowing blue circle and speaks to the galaxy. 'This is Grand Admiral Rae Sloane, commander of the Imperial Navy and de facto leader of the Galactic Empire.'"

Golbolco likes this.
  13. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Looks like it's time for me to reread Shadow Fall too. I'll probably have to find a playthrough of Squadrons on YouTube, or maybe I can check the Timelines guidebook that came out last year and see if it has anything relevant.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    She is seemingly appointed as Grand Admiral between Aftermath and Life Debt. There are, I recall, two months between the two.

My assumption was to place Alphabet Squadron before Aftermath, but Aftermath before Shadow Fall, and then Shadow Fall intersects with Squadrons and Life Debt begins after.

Sturm Antilles and Golbolco like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Squadrons game wasn't out yet when Alphabet Squadron 2 was released, so I did not experience them concurrently, just 4-5 months apart. The relevant, broad stroke details, would be:

-Shadow Fall has a point where Hera (and her command ship the Temperance) leaves the battle, and then return later before the end of the novel. This is when she is participating in the bulk of Squadrons' story, by design.
    -Squadrons is dealing with the development, delivery and protection of the Starhawk prototype (the Starhawk).
    -The production-run of Mark I Starhawks result in the 3 that show up in Aftermath Trilogy and participate at the Battle of Jakku. I believe they first appear in Aftermath: Life Debt, though I forget if Aftermath 1 mentions them already being active. In either case, all of Squadrons takes place before the Mark I's show up (since the information about the prototype, and the engineers that built it saved during the game events, are being used to make the Mark I's).
    -Most of Victory's Price's finale takes place during the Battle of Jakku, which overlaps with much of the finale to Aftermath: Empire's End.

Beyond that, I don't have specific notes on the chapters/missions breakdown/overlap.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I’d have to go back and look more specifically, but Victory’s Price also goes a little beyond Empire’s End, with the last chapter or so taking place sometime after the Battle of Jakku.

17. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    The other thing I'd add is Battlefront II's campaign, which intersects a lot here too. The prologue and first mission take place during RotJ, then missions 2 through 6 run concurrently with the first three issues of Shattered Empire, with mission 5/6 and issue 3 depicting the same events from different perspectives.

Then there's a jump, with mission 7 tying directly into the events of Life Debt, as it's about Han searching for info on Kashyyyk. I'd say it's probably between Aftermath and Life Debt. Mission 8 directly follows that, then there's another time jump.

Mission 9 happens right before the Battle of Jakku, so is probably happening concurrently with the beginning of Shadow Fall and Empire's End, and then Mission 10 is the battle itself, happening during the climax of both novels.

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Luckily I've played Battlefront II's campaign (albeit in full just once), so I have fairly extensive notes on when those missions take place.

Man, between just these books and games (and Shattered Empire), the year after RotJ is like the most "stuffed" point in the timeline next to, say, 0-3 ABY or the Clone Wars. I think it took Legends upwards of 20 years to fill the same time period with pretty much just Marvel #81-107, the Rogue Squadron comics, The Truce At Bakura, the Trioculous Saga, Shadows of the Empire: Evolution, and Dark Forces II. (And then obviously later on things like Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.)

I'll adjust some more things in my notes and post more details later. I might just bite the bullet and play Squadrons now, and then later do a re-play in the midst of the Aftermath and Alphabet Squadron books and see how it properly connects. If not otherwise done by anyone else, I will be the one to do a page-by-page breakdown and share it here.

Golbolco likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A continuity note worth remembering is that the book incorrectly refers to Hera's ship as a Nebulon-B when it's an MC80 in the game. It was confirmed that the Neb-B description is an error and may be changed in later printings.

20. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Actually, I got the impression Alphabet Squadron was more like 2 to 4 months post Endor, from what I read. Cinder was at it's height from 17 days to about 90 days post Endor, but it may also have continued at a lower level, at times. Still, it seems to be largely over, by the time of the main novel.

Aftermath book 1 is about four months post Endor, although I initially (from a One Canon viewpoint) preferred about six, instead.
    Life Debt is two months later, and spans two months. Whilst Empire's End spans 11 to 12 months after Endor.

Shadow Fall is apparently a couple of months or more post Alphabet Squadron, and also directly mentions Squadrons' plotline about halfway through the book, with Hera away aiding in the missions in the game, with Vanguard Squadron. The book spans a month or more, seemingly.

So Shadow Fall, Life Debt and Squadrons should all overlap each other, fairly closely.

Plus, there's the Battle at Fondor to throw in somewhere - the second one, in the Adventures graphic novels, I believe.

Oh, and Hera's cruiser is an MC75, yeah...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    Sturm Antilles and Golbolco like this.
  21. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    These basic reminders and notes are all good and great, but the real meat that we need is actual page numbers, quotes, and concrete references. That is what I'll be doing...whenever I actually get to the book(s) and game. (I'm currently working through Jedi: Survivor and a few other things at the moment.)

Golbolco likes this.