main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Tales of the [Jedi, Empire] series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RafSwi7, Dec 23, 2021.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Given that the short had to successfully navigate the continuity of two different films, Dooku and Qui-Gon each just having more pressing matters to attend to is perfectly fine.

It is interesting to note that per this episode, the Jedi Order lost three prominent masters (Sifo-Dyas, Qui-Gon, Yaddle) within a period of days of each other. At some point the Jedi learned that Sifo-Dyas died (although I don't know if we ever found out how, that whole thing is still kind of a mess) - I wonder if they ever learned what happened to Yaddle, or if from their perspective she just left the Temple one day and never came back. Maybe their deaths were felt in the Force?
    Unfortunate timing, if so, given what's on the horizon...

[​IMG]

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think people would be less burnt out if we actually got some character development by all the Ahsoka, instead it's just the same old over and over. Dave has actually missed multiple tricks here imo

AusStig, Barriss_Coffee and Sarge like this.
  3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah. I like Ahoska just fine, but her shorts didn't feel like they added too much to her character, at least in contrast to Dooku's episodes creating a narrative of how he grew increasingly embittered towards the jedi and republic before finally falling to the dark side.

4. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    With one episode occurring when she was an infant and another compressing the events of an entire novel into maybe ten minutes, I think it's reasonable to question whether the Ahsoka episodes were intended to convey the same sort of narrative arc or character development that the Dooku ones did. As others have noted in somewhat more negative terms, Ahsoka's character arc during the Clone Wars era has been filled in considerably, while enormous swaths of Dooku's story remain untold. Different characters, different approaches, apples, oranges, etc.

One of the things I'm noticing isn't getting discussed much is the Naboo scene in episode 6 - a sweet moment that underlines Ahsoka's friendship with Padme, and features some really excellent voice acting by Ashley Eckstein. That was nice to see, and offers another example of these shorts navigating the continuity of the prequel trilogy to their advantage.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Dooku also just commuted an act of espionage and, beyond finding out what Qui-Gon knew about Maul, was likely intent on getting out of the temple that day. Also consider that the temple itself is pretty massive. Going to find Obi-Wan isn't just taking an elevator up one floor and down a hallway. So you'd have to be pretty intent on it to make the trip out of your way.

AusStig, CosmoHender and Vialco like this.
  6. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Eh I guess. Like I said it's fine, but it feels very contrived to align with dialogue in AOTC.

Vialco likes this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    As someone who has a friend that works two blocks away that I haven’t seen in over two years, it doesn’t stretch belief for me. Dooku’s guilt which he vocalizes later to Sidious, likely keeps him from trying to meet his Grand-Padawan.

CosmoHender and Dawud786 like this.
  8. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    That's the quintessential challenge of any story like this - it has to work within the continuity beats that the films have already established, while making the plot devices that conform the story to those restrictions invisible rather than obvious. It's never going to be perfect. The solution we have here at least feels true to the characters and the circumstances; there were many worse possibilities. "What a dreadfully ill-timed turbolift malfunction. Too bad, Qui-Gon, I was really looking forward to meeting your padawan."

9. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Enjoyed TotJ series. Nice animation and neat stories. Episodes 3 and 4 were really good. Will definitely rewatch the series someday.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I've found the Sith Lord episode the most rewatchable.

11. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Still no episode guide on the official site or Database updates.

Make me wonder if there are some behind the scenes changes being made about the last episode. the twitter backlash was quite noticeable.

12. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The OS's updates are sporadic. Obi-Wan didn't get guides or Databank entries for months after the series finished. I was surprised that Andor's were coming weekly, but that could be the focus for now, and TOTJ will get its updates once Andor's done.

13. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    They would only make changes if the viewing numbers weren't what they wanted them to be. Not because of what's going on on Twitter.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Lucasfilm's resilience to "Twitter backlash" over the last several years has been rather remarkable. I very much doubt they're doing anything at all in response to it. Star Wars Twitter finds something to be angry about on a pretty regular basis, and if Lucasfilm spent time and energy addressing every "backlash" it would pretty quickly turn into a fan relations nightmare.

That being said I wouldn't mind seeing someone from the Story Group, or story-group-adjacent, post an article to starwars.com fully explaining the current approach to "canon" taken by the creators and making it clear that, in cases like this, one story isn't "overwritten" or "invalidated" by another. Both are fully canon and both are depictions of the same events, customized for the medium and the artistic intent of the creators. Not sure if such an article would calm some of the weird outrage that gets going when this sort of thing happens, but it couldn't hurt.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, I think people vastly overestimate how much companies care about social media responses, as long as they get the views/money they want (and sometimes not even then if it isn't in the demographic they wanted or if there is some personal vendetta by a higher up)

...though, interestingly, some of the early screeners mentioned that the characters in resilience had names that were edited out of the final product, which suggests there is something going on with story group behind the scenes.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They could do an explanatory video, with Anthony Starr, where he explains that canon means LucasFilm can do anything they want.

(Wonder if anyone else here has been watching The Boys?)

Lomer2012 likes this.
  17. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    George Lucas being the Soldier Boy to LFL’s Homelander.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Come on, I've my criticisms of Lucas but he doesn't deserve that.

AusStig likes this.
  19. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020
    What kind of backlash?

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I don’t think that approach would make much sense. Two things can’t be both ‘fully canon’ if they contradict one another. One has to take precedent. They should just take the approach that everything is canon in so far as they don’t contradict the screen media. Where they contradict they are simply inaccurate.

AusStig likes this.
  21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Agreed. After I rewatched it, I watched the end of AOTC and Sacrifice. I really wanted to see more of that abandoned factory tower that serves as Sidious’s lair. It’s noteworthy that he flew his own ship to the tower in 32 BBY, but by 22 BBY he was accessing the tower through tunnels instead.

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Do you really want to know more?

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  23. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020
    I don't use Twitter, so yes. I want to know what happen.

24. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The usual complaints about continuity and canon, especially in regards to whether "The Sith Lord" contradicts Dooku: Jedi Lost and Master & Apprentice, but the main issue was "Resolve" seeming to overwrite the Ahsoka novel as well as effectively erasing a key female, POC, LGBQT+ character in the process.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, I'm sure someone will oblige you as to latest news from that pit of scum and villainy.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022