main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: Defy the Storm by Tessa Gratton and Justina Ireland

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Jul 22, 2023.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Coming March 2024!
    defy-the-storm-cover-284nfdaw-web_299c8d7a.jpeg

2. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    From Comic Con

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh sugar. I am pretty hyped for this.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, this plot has been cooking for a while.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  5. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Have seen a meme regarding this situation for some time ago, but it is based on moment from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, so it would not pass a censorship.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I believe you can post it within a suitably tagged spoiler code.

7. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Ok
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Crude but funny.

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'm super excited for this to be released!

I enjoyed the collaboration between Gratton and Ireland in Phase 2 (as well as their independent entries in Phase 1 and 2 respectively).

I recently did a re-read a Test of Courage and will be revisiting Mission to Disaster as well before this releases to hype myself[face_dancing]

whostheBossk and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    MercenaryAce and AusStig like this.
  11. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    YAY

REATH! He is a knight now right? Does he have a a padawan?

12. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    IIRC, there were no mentions of him having a Padawan in promo-materials for Phase III.
    This is legitimately funny.

MercenaryAce and AusStig like this.
  13. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
  14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I can't tell you how bummed out I was when I came to the first chapter featuring Jordanna Sparkburn and Sylvestri Yarrow. I hated Sylvestri in particular, her pining was unbearable. Hopefully she's less insufferable being with Jordanna now.

15. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    Brilliant book in my opinion, maybe the best in the High Republic so far.

This was a really good sequel to both Mission to Disaster, which I loved, and Out of the Shadows which I was ambivalent about. I was surprised how little Imri and Reath were featured but I didn't mind at all. The journey for Avon, Vernestra and Jordanna in this book were all quite amazing. In general the book tied so many threads from previous books together, it was beautiful to see. Also loved seeing the further development of Devas relationship with the Starros clan tying nicely into the comics. Deva is in general a pretty cool ambivalent character. Xylan Graf reminds me of Axel Greylark and I didn't like him in Out of the Shadows but he worked really well in this I thought. Vernestra dragging Elzar was quite cool as well, I share her dislike of him. Also it's really lovely to finally see some progress in the fight against the Nihil in this and Escape from Valo. The epilogue with Reath and Azlin was quite intriguing, interested to see where it goes.
    Overall I'll give this 10/10, it was just that good. On par with Light of the Jedi which was my favourite High Republic novel so far.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t know what it is about this one but I just kinda didn’t like it. It was fine. There felt like there was to many perspective shifts. Also maybe I am missing something or maybe it’s because I read literally hundreds of different things between this and reading the last young adult novel that I just kinda forgot the plot. But I don’t think that’s the case as I listened to Eye of Darkness months after reading my last high republic book and that’s one of my top canon novels.

but yea this one is getting around a 7.9 one of the weaker reads. Maybe I just need to a break from Star Wars literature. But this wasn’t doing what I wanted.

Maybe it’s because I have grown way more invested in the stories of the adult novels. Maybe it’s because I think the young adult novels of phase 1 and 3 have been all over the place (phase 2 was great)

I really wish this was doing something more for me. But it just wasn’t clicking in the right spots and no before you ask I don’t know what the right spots would have been. Just several times throughout the novel where I was like oh boy I hope this ends soon. Maybe it was because it took itself to seriously. In that regards Graf was a book saver.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Finished this on my commute today. Going to give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

More detailed review beneath the spoiler tag as always for those interested.

Justina Ireland and Tessa Gratton continue to make a strong team in this YA novel, though I did think Path of Deceit as the kickoff to Phase II was a bit more of a spectacular offering overall. This definitely feels like a pretty clear sequel to Out of the Shadows, Ireland's previous Phase I High Republic novel, though it is definitely helpful to be familiar with the details of the adult novels and the comics as well.

Vernestra and Avon really shine is this book. We continue to see Avon's mind blossom as a scientist as she finds creative solutions to problems and does her experiments that could have implications for finding a long-term way to resolve the crisis with the Stormwall. Vernestra, too, develops from feeling lost at the beginning of the novel to being someone more confident in the particular path she needs to walk as a Jedi, and the fact that it is her interaction with Imri, seeing how much he has grown, that is so pivotal for her is truly beautiful.

Vernestra and Imri reuniting and then Vernestra realizing Imri is ready to be Knighted and Knighting him was such an emotional high point. And Vernestra's confrontation with Elzar Mann after she discovers the truth of Chancey Yarrow's death on Starlight Beacon and how Elzar basically gave into the Dark Side in that moment is also a very powerful moment.

I felt that I liked Jordanna and Xylan more in this novel than Out of the Shadows. Jordanna's drive to save her family provided some of the tensest moments in the novel, and what happened to the moon where her family live (basically like what the Nameless do to the Jedi) really raises the scale and scope of the Nihl and Nameless threat that the Jedi are dealing with. [

Plotwise, I would say the first half of the book can feel a bit slower and disjointed compared to the second, but I think the second half makes it worth being a bit patient with this book and seeing how it all comes together and what seeds are laid for future Phase III content

AusStig, Ventrix and theorenwulf like this.
  18. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just finished the book. Annoyed that Reath is yet again relegated to minor character with very little to do.

AusStig likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well he'll be the star of the next YA book at least, and I'd wager the third one as well. Vern got to be the star Jedi here, and maybe they've scaled back on her a bit due to her focus in The Acolyte.

20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Where did you get the info about Reath being the lead of the next YA book?

(also how many books are there in this phase?)

21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    The publisher’s summary. Also the Wook. And this phase has the same amount of books as phase 1, 3 adult, 3 YA, and 3 MG.

AusStig likes this.
  22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Ok, I see the info about Reath.

I thought it had the same about as phase 2.

23. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So I finished the book.

It's alright. It suffers from having too many characters in too many places.

I like that they are working out how to deal with the Storm Wall. The Graff was a lot of fun, maybe the most fun of the group.

Avon killing was interesting, I was expecting a 'bigger' reaction, but at least it stuck with here.

The blight was, interesting, it's apparently related to the Nameless, which does make sense the force is part of all life after all.

I was shocked that Avon apparently having a crush on Reath, that was the biggest twist for me.

Oh and the ending scene with Reath seems to just be set up for the next book, eh not the best way to end the book.

24. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Just got finished with this book prior to Temptation of the Force coming out since I have heard it is pretty much a direct prequel to that book. Thought it was pretty good though I suspect how much enjoyment people get out of this book will depend on their investment in the Vernestra character. Vernestra is one of my favorite characters in High Republic as Justina Ireland writes that character really well in my opinion.

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Though it was a tad hypocritical for a Jedi who has left for a year to come back and criticise the Council so thoroughly.