main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Lair's Xanatos Challenge Stories - Updated 11/20! VaderLVR

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by fallen_one, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallen_one

fallen_one Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2004
    [image=http://altair-rigel.com/TFN/obi_ew/XUL04.jpg]

Welcome Xan Fans! This thread is where we will be posting our responses to the challenges from Xanatos Underground Lair Anyone interested in the fallen Jedi is welcome to join in as either a writer or reader.

First challenge: Write a post showing Padawan Xanatos and Master Qui-Gon's relationship before it went sour. Xan can be any age but it has to reflect the love and affection they felt for one another in the beginning.

Second challenge: Xaniwan = Write a post that shows a scene between Xanatos and Obi-Wan. The only restriction is that it has to be board friendly. ( sorry o_e ) They can be any age and anything can happen. Let your imaginations run wild! :D

Third challenge: = Third challenge: What if Xanatos hadn't died in the OT world? What if any effect could he have had on the Original Trilogy and its characters as we know it? Would he have sided with the Empire? Or would the actions of the Emperor and Vader have given him a change of heart? Write a viggie showing Xanatos alive and interacting in the OT.

Fourth Challenge; Evil Xanatos Challenge!! [face_devil]

1) Xan must be truly evil. ie: He can?t be undercover and just pretending.

2) He can not be redeemed! No Hallmark moments at the end.

3) Your challenge is to make him as close to his Jedi Apprentice counterpart as possible!!!

Fifth Challenge Xan Drabbles!

1. A drabble is a work of exactly 100 words. 99 is not enough and 101 is too many.

2. The title does not count toward the 100, and it may be up to 15 words.

3. Xan must feature in the drabble.

Sixth Challenge: Xanatos and Granta: Write a vig that shows Xanatos interacting with his son Granta. Anything can be taking place in the vig and you can also make it an AU. What could have happened between them if Xan had lived?

Seventh Challenge! July 28th

Xanatos's first kill: Write a vig showing Xan's first kill and how it affected him. Did he enjoy it? Was he still Light enough to regret it, etc?

Eighth Challenge 8/29: Redeeming the Fallen One: What would it take to get Xan to return to the Light? Would it be an event? A person? And would he be willing? Or fight it? Write a vig that shows Xan's redemption.

October challenge: In honor of Halloween, the October challenge is to write a spooky, creepy, scary vig! Xan doesn't have to be the Evil Spooky One, he just has to be the main focus of the vig. [face_pumpkin]

New Challenge What type of woman would get involved with Xan? Write a vig that explores her. Must show their first meeting, his reaction to being a father and how the relationship turned out.

2. fallen_one

fallen_one Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2004
    First challenge: Write a post showing Padawan Xanatos and Master Qui-Gon's relationship before it went sour. Xan can be any age but it has to reflect the love and affection they felt for one another in the beginning.

Jade Solo: Qui-Gon teaches Xan something.

Indra: untitled

KrystalBlaze: untitled

Layren:
    Sticks and Bones

tangled_sphere You Always Come Back

Second challenge: Xaniwan = Write a post that shows a scene between Xanatos and Obi-Wan. The only restriction is that it has to be board friendly. ( sorry o_e ) They can be any age and anything can happen. Let your imaginations run wild!

obi_ew: Guilty by Association

VaderLVR64: To Face My Demons

VaderLVR64: From the Mouths of Babes

JadeSolo: Xaniwan is Good

Indra Need To Know

tangled_sphere Destiny

Third challenge: What if Xanatos hadn't died in the OT world? What if any effect could he have had on the Original Trilogy and its characters as we know it? Would he have sided with the Empire? Or would the actions of the Emperor and Vader have given him a change of heart? Write a viggie showing Xanatos alive and interacting in the OT.

VaderLVR A Gift From the Past

obi_ew Risen From The Ashes

tangled_sphere In From The Cold

BrokenNoseofQui-Gon Best Served Cold

Indra Intervention

Fourth Challenge: Evil Xanatos Challenge!!

1) Xan must be truly evil. ie: He can?t be undercover and just pretending.

2) He can not be redeemed! No Hallmark moments at the end.

3) Your challenge is to make him as close to his Jedi Apprentice counterpart as possible!!!

Make him mean and nasty!

VaderLVR An Uneasy Arrangement

Bekah_K A Good Day

obi_ew Boulevard of Broken Dreams

tangled_sphere The End To All Nightmares

Indra Small Pleasures

maderic No Explanations Allowed

JadeSolo The Silent Subjugated

Fifth Challenge: Xan drabbles: A drabble is a work of exactly 100 words. 99 is not enough a

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Okay technically I'm cheating with this but I wanted to get the ball rolling. :p This is a flashback from one of my older stories.

Underneath a Sky of Dust

"Take another step Jedi scum and I seperate the kid's head from the rest of his body!" The bounty hunter snarled.

Qui-Gon halted his forward progress and locked eyes with his apprentice. Rich dark blue eyes peered out at him from between whisps of ink black hair. They glistened with unshed tears and fear.

Inhaling deeply, the Jedi again took a step forward but stopped when the bounty hunter pressed the ornate vibroblade he held against the boys throat. As a trickle of blood slid down the fragile throat, Qui-Gon's hand tightened desperately on the hilt of his lightsaber.

"Your fight is with me Inoda. Let the boy go. He's just a child," Qui-Gon urged the man.

Inoda was a brutal bounty hunter. An older human, he had recently begun picking off important government officials for money. He didn't care who they were or why they had been targeted as long as he got paid. Since his campaign began he had allready executed ten dignataries from as many different planets.

Qui-Gon had begun trailing him a month ago and so far had managed to disrupt his last five jobs. The most recent had occurred yesterday here on the planet Kyath. Enraged at once again being thrawted, Inoda had concealed himself outside the Jedi's rented rooms and had snatched Jinn's Padawan as the boy hurried to run an errand.

Qui-Gon knew he was fortunate that the bounty hunter hadn't killed the boy immediately in retaliation. Now he had to figure out how to retrieve the boy without harming him.

"Let him go and I'll put my lightsaber down. We'll settle this man to man," Qui-Gon promised.

A smirk curled the corners of Inoda's mouth as he gestured behind him with a jerk of his head.

"How about I toss him over this cliff and we see how powerful you Jedi really are?" Was his chilling offer.

Glancing down at the top of the boy's head the bounty hunter chuckled cruelly.

"You've interfered in my business too many times Jedi. Maybe I should just take the baby Jedi and sell him."

The bounty hunter stroked the boy's smooth cheek with the flat of his blade, leaving a path of smeared blood.

"He's pretty enough. I bet I could make a nice tidy profit," Inoda taunted.

Qui-Gon could only watch helplessly as the bounty hunter slowly backed toward the cliffs edge, dragging the boy with him. Stopping right against the edge he smiled at Qui-Gon cruelly.

"So which do you prefer Jedi? I slit his throat or I toss him over the side?" Inoda shrugged carelessly. "Your choice. Either way he dies."

Frustration consumed Qui-Gon as he realised that the bounty hunter trully intended to kill the boy in order to hurt him. Looking once again into his Padawan's eyes he felt his heart stop briefly.

The fear had fled the blue orbs only to be replaced with a steely resolve. Unsettling to see in a nine year old boy.

Qui-Gon shook his head vehemently.

"No!" He ordered.

Inoda threw him a confused glance before shrugging.

"Fine you can't decide. I can respect that," he chuckled. "I'll help you out and just do both."

Everything seemed to suddenly move in slow motion. Qui-Gon's muscles bunched as he launched himself forward, while Inoda's hand tightened on the blade.

A scream built in Qui-Gon's throat as his tiny Padawan suddenly propelled himself back against the bounty hunter with a Force enhanced shove.

"NO!" The Jedi screamed in anguish as he watched both figures disappear over the edge of the cliff.

As he reached the spot where they had stood only seconds earlier, he felt a powerful ripple in the Force. Falling to his knees he peered over the edge, desperately searching for the broken body of his Padawan.

A sob of relief escaped him when he saw the boy dangling several feet down the cliff wall. Somehow he had managed to grab ahold of a branch and now swung dangerously by his fingertips.

The Jedi knew that later he

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Bleh!!! :p

No, it was very squishy and mushy. And Xan makes such an adorable little kid. [face_love] Hehe, but I liked the line about Qui-Gon needing to meditate over being happy that the bounty hunter was dead. :cool:

5. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Ugh!

Summary: Qui-Gon teaches Xan something.
    Timeframe: pre-JA
    Characters: Xanigon
    Genre: Xanigon
    Rating: G for Gross
    Disclaimer: Run away!!
    Author?s Note: This is for Shaindl. :D

?Well,? Qui-Gon Jinn says, rasping for breath, ?that was close.?

?I?ll say,? his apprentice murmurs. The young man?s cheek is pressed against the cool floor of the starship, his mournful gaze focused on a slight singe in his robe.

?Are you hurt?? the master asks, concerned that his padawan is very still.

?No, just tired.? Xanatos deCrion lifts his head to smile. ?I wonder how long it will take them to figure out that you jammed their comm system.?

?You find that amusing??

?Well, yes, Master. It bought us a little time, and they looked pretty funny running around and not knowing what was wrong.?

Qui-Gon frowns slightly. ?It is not right to laugh at their predicament, Padawan.? He himself smiles. ?No matter how much we feel they deserved it.?

Xanatos grins, pushing himself up to a sitting position and running fingers through his black hair. ?Am I now sentenced to scrub the floor of the Great Hall??

It?s an old joke they share, springing from Xanatos?s more troublesome side and the punishments handed to him that don?t often involve anything beyond a bucket of soapy water and a rag. But just the memory of how badly his back and knees always hurt is enough to make him cringe slightly, even though he hasn?t really done anything wrong today.

?I can?t wait to see you explain this to the Council,? he says. Qui-Gon?s reports are usually very entertaining, especially when received by that look on Master Windu?s face. But upon seeing his master?s face now, he cringes even more. ?What??

?On your feet,? Qui-Gon urges. ?You need to find a better place to get some rest, for you have a very important task to complete once we reach Coruscant.?

?What?s that?? Xanatos asks suspiciously.

?You, Padawan,? and Qui-Gon drapes an arm around his Xanatos?s shoulders as the young man stands up, ?are going to write our mission report for the Council.?

?But then what are you going to do until we get home, Master??

Qui-Gon looks back toward the small ship?s cockpit. ?I am going to reassure the pilot that he made the right choice in giving us a lift.?

Two days later, Xanatos hands a datapad to his master, thinking his report is one of the best first-reports ever written by a junior padawan. He has proofread it several times, examining it closely for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and coherence. He has moved sentences to other paragraphs and then moved them back. He has made sure that his choice of words will not confuse the average reader, but is still varied enough to show that he has an excellent vocabulary. It is a work of art, his report, and he is very proud of it.

Until Qui-Gon starts smiling, trying to contain his laughter as he reads through it.

?Master??

?It?s very good, Padawan. Detailed yet concise. It?s just...?

I have a bad feeling about this. ?Just what?? He edges closer to get a better look at what his master is pointing at. ?I don?t understand. What did I do??

?You spelled that word incorrectly. As well as several others.?

?No, I didn?t. I know how to spell that word, Master, and I spell-checked everything else.? Xanatos doesn?t mean to sound insolent, but he knows he is right.

And Qui-Gon, much to the apprentice?s irritation, continues to smile. ?You did misspell it, Padawan.?

?Then how is it supposed to be spelled??

Qui-Gon clears the screen and types out the word. ?This is how you wrote it: behavior. But you left out the u. It should read ? ? he types the word again ? ? like this: behaviour.?

Xanatos stares in disbelief. ?Master, I used standard spelling. What you just used is the more formal and slightly archaic method that you see on Alderaan.?

?So what is good enough for Alderaan is not good enough for you??

?No! I mean, i

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Jade That was adorable. True Xanigon mush. Plus you got to make fun on Shaindl. Better watch out for her cane - she's pretty fast for someone that old!

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    oe I remember that one! I loved that one too! [face_love] how sweet of Qui at the end! Telling him to never frighten him like that ever again! hehehe how sweet!

Jade that was great! Hilariously so! I know sooo many people who are finicky at the way things are spelled (even if they are not spelled that way in actuality - they just like it that way because of it is their way)

Great work you two :D :D

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Jade!!! that was so cute!!! LOLOL! Loved Qui-Gon showing him the um.. "Alderaanian" way of spelling things :D Great job!! I've enjoyed both of these so far! Will write one later after I move ;)

9. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    o_e Aw. So sweet and beautifully written. A terrific way to start off this first challenge. :)

Jade =D= I grovel at your feet. That was excellent. :D

10. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    o_e That was so cute. I love little Xani. :)

Jade Very cool. Great idea for the challenge. Hey, wait a moment, I use that spelling, too. :mad: :D

11. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    o_e ;) Underneath a Sky of Dust is still fresh in my mind and just as good.

Jade [face_laugh] That was wonderful, I had thought I was the only one who put the ?z? in realised. :D

EDIT: removed ?z? [face_mischief]

12. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    OE, you know how much I loved that story of yours. Great to see part of it out and about again! :)

Jade, you told me you were going to write it and I absolutely loved it! Guess we know now why Alderaan was blown out of the sky, don't we? ;)

Shaindl

13. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Isn't Alderaan always described as one of the most beautiful planets of the galaxy? I bet it's partly because they write correctly. :D

Anyway, here's my try. Betaed by Shaindl. [:D]
    It doesn't have a title, basically because I couldn't think of anything.

The darkness was total. No light managed to sneak into the small cell the Jedi was held in. He couldn?t tell what colour the walls were or anything else about it. He had lost all sense of time, not knowing how many days he had already spent inside this room. He had measured the cell by touching the walls around him and had discovered that he could almost touch two walls at the same time.

Qui-Gon Jinn had been sent on a mission without his Padawan and he knew that the 18-year-old hadn?t taken it well, but at the time Qui-Gon hadn?t thought much of it. It was only the signing of a treaty that finally defined the boundaries of the three countries on the planet of Murith. Nothing would happen that would require the presence of two Jedi, so Xanatos had been given the opportunity to catch up on his studies. But something had happened and everyone, including Qui-Gon, had been so surprised by the sudden terrorist attack that nobody had reacted in time.

The terrorists had kidnapped Qui-Gon and put him into this cell. Since then he waited and he had no idea whether his captors had already made any claims. He meditated most of the time, as best he could with the Force-inhibiting collar around his neck. It didn?t work very well, but it helped him centre and prepare for a possible attack, should someone enter the room. They had given him food twice so he guessed he couldn?t have been there for more than three days. The constant darkness was grating on his nerves.

It was then that he felt it. It was a faint stirring at first, only a fleeting feeling that something was about to happen. Qui-Gon stood up and listened intently. Then the door suddenly opened, hesitantly, as if the person opening it was afraid of what he might find. A hiss could be heard and a familiar dark blue lightsabre sprang to life. Qui-Gon hardly dared to breathe.

?Master?? It was no more than a whisper.

Qui-Gon sighed in relief. He rushed to the door, opening it wider. ?Xanatos.? There wasn?t much light, but his eyes were so used to the darkness that he could clearly see his apprentice?s wide blue eyes. ?Padawan,? he said and pulled the boy towards him in a brief embrace.

Xanatos seemed as relieved as his Master. ?Thank the Force, I found you, Master. We have to leave. I managed to slip in here undetected, but I don?t know how long it will take them to find the two guards I knocked out.?

?You will have to guide us out of here, Padawan. I don?t think I?m in any condition to help you right now.? He pointed to the black collar around his neck.

Xanatos took in the sight of his Master then and Qui-Gon became aware of how he must look, unkempt, dirty and emotionally exhausted. Something changed in the young man?s eyes suddenly and he nodded grimly. ?Let?s go, Master.?

The Padawan took the lead, Qui-Gon only a few steps behind him. They went through another door and light exploded before them. Qui-Gon snapped his eyes shut, trying to shield them against the sudden onslaught. After a moment he opened them again and could see the shape of his Padawan already running down the corridor, his eyes accustomed to the light. Qui-Gon stumbled on, following the shape. Xanatos held his ?sabre in his hand but didn?t ignite it. The building seemed to be some sort of bunker, but it was extremely large, the hallways stretching out before them.

The alarm went off without warning, without them seeing anyone. The unconscious guards must have been found. The Jedi started to run, Xanatos in the lead skidding around corners, his sabre in a secure grip. Qui-Gon was panting, trying to follow him. His imprisonment had taken more out of him than he had wanted to admit and in addition to that the collar was inhibiting him from using the Force to guide him or give him strength.

They rounded anothe

14. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    [face_laugh] Good one Jade! Score one for the youngling! :D

15. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Jade, please note Indra's completely correct assertion at the beginning of her latest post. :D

Indra, you've really got this thing for showing Xanatos just before he goes over the edge, don't you? :p I love that everything he did was based on love for his Master. Wonderfully handled!

Shaindl

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Indra, great job showing Xan's beginning slide into darkness. And the fact that Qui-Gon ignores, forgives him for it only highlights the blindness that Qui-Gon will later live to regret.

Wonderfully done.

Well... except for the spelling... :D

17. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh my! Indra that was soooo sweet and sad! Poor Xan! He did it all for his Master! [face_love] Great work! :D

18. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Wonderful job Indra. I can see something like this driving Xan close to the edge. :)

19. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Well, Shaindl, that's the most interesting period, isn't it? [face_devil]

20. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Oh these are all so good! Love seeing Xan show his handsome face on these boards. Great work to all the authors.

21. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Indra, another happy reader. Xan is slipping and Qui-Gon is not seeing the depth of the error.
    He did free his master but [face_shame_on_you] Xan.
    :)

22. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    o_e Wonderful story with Xani in trouble. Evil bounty hunter! :D The boy nodded before once again throwing himself against his Master's chest with a muffled sob. Holding his Padawan close, Qui-Gon felt a great wave of love wash over him... Awww...great mush o_e! [face_love]

Jade [face_laugh] Loved the disagreement over spelling!!! And their little quarrels, that was precious. ;)

Indra :eek: Poor Xan! Definitely treading the edge here and Qui-Gon doesn't see the large shadow looming over both of them. Very well done!

Great challenge responses you guys! [face_love]

23. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    o_e- Awww! Very sweet, very real mush. :) The last paragraph was great.

Jade- Nice spelling. ;) I liked the joke about the "scrubbing out the Great Hall". I don't know, it was just a cute little saying between the two that I like. It drove home the father-son relationship. :D

Indra - Awww. :( How sad. Xanatos reaction was so... well-thought out, and I loved his reasoning for it. Qui-Gon was so... how do I put this... Qui-Gon. The emotions were very well played out, and I commend you. Great work. :)

----

And now here's my little offering, although I don't think it's quite "mush" like, more along the lines of mush-refrainment. ;) Oye.

----

Adrenaline still pulsed in his head. He clenched his hand and unclenched it, his palms slick with sweat. He rubbed them against his trousers in disgust, and settled on watching his Master carefully lay a spray bandage across his upper left arm where the vibro-knife had cut through.

He was still sweating, and although he hated that, he had to almost smile. He wanted to be back in the field, back fighting that monster of a Wookie who handled his blade like he had been born with it. It had been a devastating task, one that required all his strength and his attention, but he had won in the end. It was a worthy challenge, and he had passed it. That thought caused his already pumping blood to race even more, and his pride to shoot up another notch.

?You?re okay, Xanatos?? Qui-Gon asked him, wincing as he bent to apply another spray bandage to his leg. Qui-Gon had not been as lucky as his apprentice. The mission to Kashyyyk had, originally, been very straightforward and easy. They had been sent to negotiate the release of land from one tribe of Wookie to another. Xanatos had found the mission very boring, since Qui-Gon had done most of the talking, and when they weren?t in a meeting with the ambassadors, there wasn?t much else to do.

Except when a member of the ambassador party had decided to take matters into their own hands and plant a bomb on the ship of the opposing side. All sides had been wild for revenge when the thing had gone off, killing two. Qui-Gon had Xanatos had rushed to the delegation hall where the meetings were taking place, and had found both sides raging with knives. It had been a tremendous effort to restore peace in the hall, but the negotiations looked very bleak, and Qui-Gon had come off injured for it.

?I?m fine, Master,? Xanatos replied, almost miffed. In the past three years they had been together, Xanatos had only been injured once. Qui-Gon said he was lucky, Xanatos said it was more about his skill in being attuned with the Force. Xanatos allowed Qui-Gon this misconception, though, because he did believe his Master was genuinely worried for him. ?And how are you??

Qui-Gon smiled ruefully. In sharp contrast to the single Wookie Xanatos had managed to disarm, Qui-Gon had been charged with disarming three, and that had proven to be a very tough challenge. Xanatos admired the way his Master had taken the task with a cool demeanor and pure grace in his fighting style. Although Qui-Gon preferred the political aspect of their job, he was still a brilliant swordsman, and Xanatos looked forward to the day when he would beat him during their training sessions.

?Oh, nothing much, my Padawan,? Qui-Gon said. After they had disarmed the combatants, both sides had agree to a armistice, although the land release was now considered cause for battle. The Jedi had convinced both sides to delay the meetings for two days and allow the Jedi time to regroup and both sides to calm down. The Wookie side who had planted the bomb had offered their very best commendations in apology for their actions. The room was large and well furnished with red curtains hanging from the window that overlooked the trees. Xanatos was very pleased with it, and was happy that Qui-Gon had agreed. It was obvious that Qui-Gon appreciated the gesture as he sank into the soft and plush sleep-couch with a small sigh.

?I?m glad, at least, that you?

24. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    That was great! Loved the ending anyways no matter what you say! :p hehehehehe And anyhoo... if you want to change it later... what's to stop you? ;) It *is* fanfic and changeable/rearrangeable ya know! ;)

Great work! Loved it ;) Sad to cuz he never makes it to Knighthood!

25. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Great characterisation of Xan, Krystal. He's self-assured and independent. It fits very well.

"But I relish the day you move on to be a Jedi Knight. It means I did my job well."

Sad, as we all know how it will turn out. :(
    I liked the plot in the background with the ambassadors and all. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.