main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's talk about sexism.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Ender, it's strange you haven't chosen a legitimate criticism of beezel. Even if you didn't understand his original post, multiple others who write in more lucid fashion have confirmed the benign reading of his post. While several people expressed confusion, no one else has said they share your interpretation. I think that makes it pretty clear that, in his own unique way, he was trying to articulate why he disagreed with this ruling. Nowhere did he imply that the woman's underwear made the activity "OK."

There are 14,000 things to criticize. You needn't stoop to accuse him of saying the opposite of what he actually did.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, agreed.... I didn't get that he thought it was okay because of the underwear. I was addressing the wtf wording of his post. The guy needs to hire a translator.

3. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Or just stop with the bizarre analogies. This one ranks alongside "fancy water."

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't think I saw the fancy water thing.

5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The wonderful thing about this is that if you're confused about what the reference is, and how it could possibly make sense, you still understand exactly the same amount I do.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh I 100% had no idea what he was saying and just assumed based on past statements of women-hating that it was regressive. Like you said, he needs to translate posts before making them!

7. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Beezel's post is so garbled I have literally no idea what point he's trying to make.

Is it to do with legal issues/securing a conviction under some kind of law? Is there some weird law in the States relating to nudists taking photos of each other that could somehow provide case law for the kind of situation in the article posted? Is it somehow illegal to photograph a nudist regardless of their state of dress?

Is it to do with morality? In which case what on earth kind of parallel exists between a bunch of people, by choice, going about their daily business without wearing clothes and non-consensual upskirt photography? Is he trying to say that nudists/naturists are perverts? Or that shoving cameras up people's skirts without asking for their permission is as healthy and morally 'ok' as a bunch of people choosing not to wear clothes? I'm baffled.

Juliet316 and harpua like this.
  8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    it's certainly garbled and a rather random analogy, if you can call it that, but i think it's pretty clear what he's attempting to say. someone purposely going to take pictures of nudists is obviously intending to commit an improper act (i.e. taking pictures of naked people) -- the fact that the nudists aren't actually nude when he gets there (leaving to one side why nudists would be congregating together in their clothes in the middle of winter in the first place...) means he obviously can't get his money shot. however his intention was still to go along and take happy snaps of all the 65 year old men with beer bellies and 70 year old women with breasts down to their waists, so that still makes it wrong. the failing in the example is that taking pictures of a random bunch of people in the forest who are fully clothed isn't quite the same, or shouldn't be, as taking a picture of underwear underneath a girl's skirt, whatever the initial intention, but yeah.

harpua likes this.
  9. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Nudism, pretty much by definition, is being nude by choice in public places... taking photos of nudists in public places seems no different to me than taking photos of clothed people in public places. Nudists take photos while on holiday in the same way that other people do? Documentaries about nudists involve filming people in the nude in the same way that documentaries about non-nudists involve filming people non-nude. Why is taking pictures of nude people choosing to be nude in public an improper act? It would be strange and impolite to take photos of total strangers without asking first whether they're clothed or not, but as long as it's in a public place and someone's nude by choice, I don't get the differentce? I know Americans have a really weird attitude to nudity, but it can't be *that* extreme?

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Moderator star 10 Staff Member Moderator

Apr 27, 2005
    On a related note, it seems like the Mass. state legislature has revised the upskirt picture taking law that got thrown out by the State Supreme Court and Gov. Patrick is expected to sign the new legislation into law today.

11. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    what about the nudist picture taking law?

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well for one thing nudism isn't legal in most states. Secondly, I think the law is more aimed at covert photography in private settings than in public settings. The whole peeping Tom thing.

Now, beezel seems to have correctly interpreted the ruling, which is that people wearing skirts or dresses in public are fully clothed, regardless of the state of their undergarments. Beezel is arguing that the point of the people who take these photos is to catch one of them who isn't wearing any undergarments, and that they fail is immaterial. That's where his nudist analogy comes in: somebody hoping to take pics of naked people who happen to be clothed is just missing his target but had guilty intent.

His analogy fails for several reasons. He misapprehends the law, which is focused on the state of the victim's undress and not the intent of the pervert. The analogy of nudists is also poor because one might reasonably expect a nudist colony to be full of nude people, but I don't think most people riding public transport go sans undergarments (though it might be different where beezel lives). And finally it's wrong because it gives the idea that the only covert photography that matters is when somebody isn't wearing underwear, which is wrong: upskirting should be illegal regardless of what's going on under the skirt, which is why a new, properly-drafted law is required. Under his system, there would need to be a finding of fact whether any of his victims lacked underwear since intent alone cannot constitute a crime and that's the grossest thing ever.

So yeah it's not just that it's poorly written. It's also a really bad point.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

13. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I think we can be fairly certain that things are very different where beezel lives.

I imagine beezel lives in a world like a Salvador Dali interpretation of Escher. Up is left and sideways is melting into a bucket.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Where pigs fly, cats are living with dogs!

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  16. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I hope the punishment is not too harsh. These guys are just using technology to see what we've all tried to see with our own eyes.

or is there someone here who hasn't looked up a girl's skirt?:p

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  18. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i love it when the creeps are all "oh come on, you know you're all just as creepy as i am"

19. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    you're not a man, zapdos... i am. i know the truth. we've all done it.:D

20. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    oh, yeah, sorry. the sexism thread is where men talk. excuse me

21. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    you don't have to be silent because you're a woman. you should however be silent when you don't know what you are talking about.

22. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    yeah but you're not a man either, wannasee. at best you're a boy

23. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    As I man, I certainly notice if an attractive female is wearing a short skirt, sure, but no, I don't attempt to look up said skirt. That's just weird.

24. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    boys are better than girls:p

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    wannasee, give it a rest. You're not as shocking as you think you are, just tedious.