main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I agree as well, which is why it seems this entire "She gives it to Finn because she knows he'll give it to Rey" stuff is contrived, we as the audience hunting spoilers know Finn will eventually give it to Rey, but how would Rose know for sure, there's nothing to suggest her ability even works in a linear fashion but they naturally assume it because why not. And don't you think there would be something in the documentation about a second vision or even feeling suggesting Rose sees these things?

2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    That's people over thinking that part imo. It's more to do with stakes for the audience and keeping us guessing. She gives it to Finn because Rey rejects it. Rey ends up stepping up when it matters. Everything happens for a reason.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    rose knows that if finn takes it he and rey will be close together. it'll be there when rey needs it and she will.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  4. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    As I said , that's a contrived reason to make it seem Finn isn't all that relevant to the arc. "Well, Ive put the sabre in this dude's jacket strap in case you do ever need it" Come on now, why would JJ even need to do that, lol.

5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I think people are looking at the lightsaber incorrectly. The lightsaber isn't meant for Rey, Finn or Poe. Its meant for Luke(hence why its being returned in the end). The lightsaber is mechanically acting as the "death star plans." Now, obviously the death star plans aren't meant for Luke. But, the plans needed to pass through Luke to get him to the finale.

What I am saying is that the lightsaber isn't choosing anything. Its just an object. What the lightsaber represents is the force. Thus, the lightsaber is making sure all of our heroes be where they need to be.

For Poe he is the "man on the quest." for the lightsaber. He fails his mission but the lightsaber puts him in the right place to be saved by Finn.

Through BB-8 the lightsaber eventually connects with Rey which in turn connects her with Finn.

Then the lightsaber is handed off to Finn which in the end brings him to the Resistance as well as (possibly)to connect him to Rose to be trained as a Jedi

Then lightsaber passes to Rey by accepting her powers and moves her on the "path of the Jedi."

Finally, its handed off to Luke(to whom it was intended) who receives his long lost relative to finish her training.

The lightsaber is a "table setter." In arthurian myth, its acting more as a grail than excalibur.

6. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004

I'm an envisioning a movie with Finn and Poe off doing something while Luke trains Rey. Then Rey and Luke have to go save their asses. Unfortunately it backfires and they ALL get frozen in carbonite.

Star Wars IX is about Leia kicking ass taking names and saving them all. End scene is her spanking Kylo Ren, her naughty, naughty son while Force ghost Han Solo laughs.

7. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Indeed might as well stuff it back into BB-8.

8. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

I don't think thats the proper context. Mechanically that is what needs to happen. But I don't think that is necessarily the context for Finn. Its also not really how the force works. The future is "always in motion" and you can't really predict what will happen. It also robs Finn(and Rey)agency.

I think for Rose she sees potential with Finn and hopes the "will of the force" will work itself out.

Its like saying the only reason Han intercedes with Luke is to actualize him to destroy the death star. On the surface that is true. But in the complete context its about Han gaining his idealism back.

9. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    rey has the skills but doesn't want the burden. finn doesn't have warrior skills or confidence in himself. he is given the saber as part of his rite of passage but also because rey doesn't want it and it needs to be with them. han and the saber give finn his focus and his courage, enough courage to face kylo even though he has no training. finn is defeated and that spurs rey to take up the mantle she previously denied and fight. thus both of them find what they were missing.

10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I agree with the force stuff, but I disagree on the saber stuff - I think it is meant for Rey and it is essentially Excalibur. I think Luke is the Grail.

Great post either way about the force. Love it.

11. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

If it was excalibur then she wouldn't be returning it. Arthur(or the Fisher King) is Luke. The sword belongs to him. Rey is Perceval she is bringing the object back to make Luke whole.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  12. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Which is still a stretch considering how Luke replaced that Lightsaber but I get the thematic idea not that I want a Fisher King Luke.

13. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    But this is why it doesn't make sense, I get the thematic payoff you're highlighting , but if Rey is more worthy because of skill then wouldn't it be more productive for their Agenda to put the saber in the hands of an experienced fighter like Poe?The next skilled person probably after Rey and Han. Especially if the force isn't a factor here with Finn. Giving a novice like Finn the saber seems to suggest Rose sees the potential in Finn to combat the dark forces if Rey refuses. The point I'm trying to make is him getting the saber has to have some type of development for his character too or else he comes off as a mere plot device , it can't all just be in service to Rey.

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think she will end up holding on to it, and Luke still had his endor saber, but you could well be right.

15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    maybe it does. they may both be jedi in subsequent films. oh and she's probably the skywalker that needs that particular saber. which would explain why it "belongs" with her.

16. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    I think she'll create her own double blade saber. That staff is just too on the nose imo.

17. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Personally, I'm in the double bladed lightsaber staff for Rey camp. They seem to be teasing it.

18. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    I actually love the idea of the lightsaber being special and the Force choosing certain people. It just feels like a welcome return to the Force that was presented in ANH by Obi Wan and ESB by Yoda. This is the Force that myself and so many others fell in love with. For me one of the biggest problems with the PT was that all of the mysticism and gravitas surrounding the Force, lightsabers, and the Jedi were stripped away. The Force is soooo much more than just a "super power" and can't be measured by a blood sample, and I feel like Abrams really understands that.

19. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Its also redundant. The lightsaber is largely Rey's "link to the past." Once she learns her family history the lightsaber is largely inconsequential.

Han Drolo likes this.
  20. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    That would be cool. I like your theory so more than happy if it all pans out that way.

Seeher and Zuckuss the Ruckuss like this.
  21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Its not actually the lightsaber that is making him whole. Its Rey. The lightsaber is just the metaphor.

22. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Lol U got a degree in Lit or something.

23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I love that.

Will be interesting to see how the Bespin saber has come in to play and why everyone is after it now.

Seeing the handle they and the story group appear to have on SW, I'm confident they'll make it work although initially I was in the "Bespin saber - that's ludicrous" camp. I just don't see them getting so much else right and dropping the ball on something like that. You could tell from the ABC interview that the story group and KK have put in a Hell of a lot of time deconstructing the originals at least, and I'm sure the PT too to try and nail down what works about SW and what doesn't. These guys get it I have zero doubt and a lot of faith in them.

DarthPinoy likes this.
  24. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    Yea, Zuckuss always has the good ****.

25. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012

Eh I am waiting for the finished the product. MSW is not helping my faith, although that might be more of their spec then the facts at play. But the movie will get a fair shake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.