main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I suppose now is not a good time to admit I love cheesy synth scores. Goblin and John Carpenter still get me through my work day.

tom likes this.
  2. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

They just signed on a 5-film deal for the Snoopy Cinematic Universe.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That is definitely the gold standard. Yeah, watching that movie with that score is just an astonishing experience.

Did you see that indie horror film from earlier this year, It Follows? I forget who did the score, but it has this amazing, very seventies synth score. Great movie all around, but that score was one of my favorite things about it. Definitely a movie I highly recommend; very thought provoking and genuinely disturbing. Great ending. But you can hear some of the score in the trailer if you find it online too.

4. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    No, I have not seen that film yet. I'll give a peek to the trailer and if I like I'll eventually rent. Thanks for the tip.

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    the entourage movie is getting broslapped by the critics:

The Wall Street Journal:
    “The jaunty style of a hit TV series has been replaced by huge spasms of false energy and a sense of barely concealed flop sweat.”
    Toronto Star:
    “…it is a fly trapped in amber, celebrating excess and male privilege in a sexist way that feels very old and decidedly out of step with the 2015 world.”
    Time Out:
    “In 2015, however, bros only come before hos alphabetically, and what once felt like an innocent tale of wish fulfillment now plays like the masturbatory fantasy of a men’s-rights activist.”
    Detroit News:
    “You may not have missed them, but Vinnie, E, Turtle and Drama are back, as empty and self-centered as ever, in the aimless, vapid Entourage movie.”
    The Globe and Mail:
    “These characters represent the most repellant clichés of male friendship, where guys can only relate to each other through a discourse of casual misogyny and female conquest.”
    The Chicago Sun-Times:
    “It’s like catching up with an old friend and remembering why you don’t hang out with him anymore: He’s stuck in a rut and he has nothing new to say.”
    BuzzFeed:
    “Entourage is the movie about Hollywood we deserve — one that’s breathtakingly honest about how great the industry is if you’re a rich white dude, and how terrible and unwelcoming it is for almost everyone else.”
    But maybe The Philadelphia Inquirer said it best:
    “Let sleeping bros lie.”

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

it was a great book.

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
  8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Today's episode of AMC Movie Talk

AMC Movie Talk - First THE MARTIAN Trailer, A ROBIN HOOD Shared Universe?

10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Hopefully it will be a great movie. Scott needs a good movie.

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    If Scott could tap into what made the Duellists and Alien so great: characters, scenery, scope and absolutely tapping into the emotions of the story (revenge, fear/survival in the case of my examples), then he'll probably do well with the Martian.

He's gotten lost in the spectacle end of things as many have; if he could just focus on character and insert some of his wonderful painterly eye upon the film, he'll have a hit. I really did not like his last two movies (was shoe-horned into seeing Exodus but that's another story)... but I wish him well.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    If it wasn't for M. Night Shyamalan, Ridley Scott might be the director with the worse fall from grace. Which is such a shame because I held up him to be at or near the same level as Steven Speilberg. I love Gladiator and I that I think that movie brought back the genre.

I really don't have high hopes for The Martian, but I do hope it's worth the price of admission. However, looking at the cast, it feels like I'll be watching a different version of Interstellar.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Today's episode of AMC Movie Talk:

AMC Movie Talk - First MOCKINGJAY PART 2 Trailer, BATMAN V SUPERMAN Synopsis

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I ended up watching Blackhat and I can't understand the extreme hate the movie got. Yeah, it's not Michael Maan's best and yeah, Thor's accent is pretty cheesy - and his character is Teh Bezt Hacokrz Evah - but I think it's fairly engrossing. The tech-speak is pretty out there but, basically, if you know what an IP address is then you'll be able to roll with it.

Next few movies lined up are Iron Giant, Starman (haven't seen it before! John Carpenter and Karen Allen, hot damn!), Paul & E.T. picking up on a theme? Then doing the four Jurrassic flicks by Saturday nite.

As for The Martian, I really hope halfway through the movie Matt Damon's astronaut randomly meets another astronaut played by Matthew Mcconaughey who then tries to kill Damon's character. "LET'S SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT, @$$%%^!"

15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    For me, let's have Damon's astronaut meet Matthew's character from Reign of Fire. Then I'd watch.

Kenneth Morgan and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think it's good for him to get out of the historical-epic-as-incredibly-awkward-anachronistic-twentieth-century-liberalism-promotion genre, and he's also away from the opportunity for religious/philosophical commentary, so most of the things that have been dragging him down are gone. He's adapting a pretty straightforward space survival story that gives him a good chance to get back to tighter sci-fi storytelling that's not bogged down in grandiosity. I'm really excited by what I've seen.

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Glad you are. That is all that matters.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Amazon is a multi-trillion corporation, it's practically bulletproof. Gilliam making Man Who Killed Don Quixote will bring the company so it's knees.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "So, Terry, how's the film coming?"

"We lost a billion dollars."

"A bil- Terry, what happened to the billion dollars? What the **** cost a billion dollars?!"

"No, I mean, I had it in the sack, right? And the sack vanished! Anyway I need another five million for effects."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Today's episode of AMC Movie Talk

AMC Movie Talk - INDEPENDENCE DAY 2 Poster, BAD BOYS 3 With Director Joe Carnahan

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Today's episode of AMC Movie Talk:

AMC Movie Talk - STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS At Comic Con, Chris Hemsworth Cast In GHOSTBUSTERS

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Chris Hemsworth as Annie Potts?

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yup. He's going to be the new Loni Anderson.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.