main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    When you say the tablets of the law of MSW, what do you mean?

2. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014

DLB: I actually kinda (cough) agree with you; what we know is he's the only "officially"known Jedi (Maz is assumed, possibly an apprentice correct?) with that being the case, the search for Luke could be pivotal as it may determine the fate of the galaxy so to speak. Superweapon versus Superweapon + GM Skywalker (trump card); Rey new apprentice needs father-figure (Han dad or Luke either way she needs Luke) we know the Bespin saber is key so (saber + droids + Rey = Luke Skywalker)

To me that's why at least what I hope because the "New Hope" needs the "Original Warrior" as does the Resistance

3. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    What do you think?

4. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    What does the tablets :confused: of the law of MSW [face_flag] mean?

And who says Han is the same? [face_relieved] And what would that have to do with Luke being crazy? [face_thinking]

5. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014

I'm not sure, that's why I asked you.

6. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

7. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    How Luke would feel reading this thread[​IMG]

8. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Luke wouldn't read the thread. He'd choose to ignore it. Just like a childless loser.

He could swoop in and save us from all this banality, but he doesn't. Why? To prop up the Septic Tank? Lol :emoticon: :emoticon: lol if that's the case what's the point of him even being on the boards, right?

9. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Just a quick response to those arguing Rey has no room to grow in TFA. I think this is a huge leap and more, a misunderstanding of how characters are supposed to grow or have their growth measured. It's not power level; it's internal growth or change.

I think when we first meet Rey we'll meet someone who doesn't really want to get involved in galactic events. She will when she's in danger, but not necessarily for others. TFA will challenge this stasis by introducing her to a number of characters she wants to help. But then some new obstacles will be put in her way, and she'll probably have to decide if she can face Kylo Ren: perhaps the original reason she didn't want to get involved.

I think Rey may have a chance to face Kylo when Han sacrifices himself. Obviously he's the one that faces Kylo there, not her. And he pays the price. But his sacrifice will be a lesson to Rey, and lead to her overcoming her fundamental block.

So Rey's definitely not perfect in TFA. I think she'll feel guilt for not taking Kylo on when Han did.

As for why she finds Luke at the end: 1) She's grown all she can on her own at this point. Now she needs her mentor to help her through the darkness of Han's death. 2) She probably isn't a Jedi Knight yet, and couldn't defeat Kylo one on one, and probably not Snoke either. 3. The narrative has reached the point where Luke needs to be involved. There are things the new group of heroes can't accomplish without him. They'll need his wisdom, and probably also his strength.

But when people start talking purely in external terms about characters like they're in a video game and not a narrative, then you know there's a huge misunderstanding about what makes character work: internal movement, not kick ass powers.

10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Posting this old Billy Donnelly report in here because it came out way before the MSW call sheet stuff, yet pretty much matches it all and because while he has only made about three or four posts on TFA he actually appears to be the most accurate scooper percentage wise (as far as we can guess at this stage).

http://thisisinfamous.com/exclusive-luke-skywalkers-whereabouts-star-wars-episode-vii/

The rumor mill has been working overtime in that galaxy far, far away, as everyone thinks they have some bit of information as to how certain events may go down in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII. Of course it’s incredibly difficult to nail down what is true and what isn’t in this current climate, because there is a lot of unstable information surrounding this production for one reason or another. In shifting from the Michael Arndt draft to the script written by J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan, some plot and characters made the move while others didn’t. As a result, that’s left some people with intel that was correct in the past but isn’t anymore, or with knowledge that is only partially true. Toss into the mix reports I’ve received that there are multiple copies of the script floating around even on-set in an attempt to muddy the waters as to spoilers getting put, and it’s quite the mess the trudge through in trying to locate reliable information.

But, in spite of all that, I believe I’ve managed to dig up something solid regarding Luke Skywalker’s whereabouts in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII. Now I have managed to confirm this with multiple trusted independent sources who have all relayed to me the same knowledge, which is why I feel on enough solid ground to fill you in. However, I am also well aware of the gamesmanship that exists with Abrams’ mystery box, so it’s very possible they’ve been put in a position to know the wrong thing. That’s just the way it goes, so it’s time to proceed with confident caution.

If you want to try remaining fresh, I suggest you turn around and exit the way you came, as we’ll be getting into some fresh details, so this is your SPOILER WARNING

It’s been pretty well established that Luke Skywalker has disappeared from the scene when STAR WARS: EPISODE VII opens. After all, if Han Solo has to go looking for him with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega’s characters, he’s definitely off the grid somewhere. Much fan speculation has been built around the idea that it’s a rescue mission and that, following Luke’s victory over the Emperor, he’s somehow been captured by the villains of the new film and is possibly being used to help power this super weapon that they have at their disposal.

However, my sources tell me that couldn’t be further from the truth, and that people have been thinking about this thing all wrong.

From what I’ve been told, Luke hasn’t been missing for a full 30 years, only about 10, with his early time post-RETURN OF THE JEDI being spent rebuilding the Jedi Order. Yeah, Luke had some things to do, in order to help get things back on track after the fall of the Empire. In addition, he has grown so powerful with his command of the Force that he can literally move mountains or bring down ships with merely a glance.

But then Luke begins to feel a disturbance in the Force… and starts to feel the lure of the Dark Side. If word about the Emperor’s resurgence is true, I believe his presence and desire to court young Skywalker once again is the root of this new evil. Because he knows just what a danger he would be if successfully convinced to switch sides, Luke goes into a self-imposed exile and disappears.

EDIT - this would obviously be Snoke I think. But is he feeling the lure of the dark side after his order is destroyed? Did he kill the seven?

But where does he go?

Where might he possibly set up shop in order to deal with this struggle once again?

It’s an existing planet from the STAR WARS Saga he’s been before where one might go to contemplate the Force and potentially face down the Dark Side.

Figure it out yet…?
    [​IMG]
    How about now?
    That’s right.

DAGOBAH!!

Luke Skywalker relocates to Yoda’s old home planet, and that is where he will be found and reunited with his old lightsaber by friends both old and new.

EDIT - now either Skellig IS Dagobah and Luke is so strong with the force he has made some serious renovations to the place, or maybe Donnelly is wrong on the location and he's gone to somewhere equally powerful with the force but a new planet altogether - Skellig (or Donnelly is just wrong altogether - but everything else seems to potentially line up).

He may have to do some renovations if a man of his size wants to live for that length of time in Yoda’s little hut, but, if he has such a strong grasp of the Force at this age, sounds like it shouldn’t be much of a problem. A couple of shifts of the eye, and he’ll be all set.

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    How Luke would feel learning his order was destroyed and he went into hiding while Han stayed behind and fought for the galaxy and that he would never see Han again.

So, normal ever day Chewbacca and Han can save Rey without impacting her status as a new hero but Jedi Master Luke Skywalker saving her would hinder her introduction as a new hero? :oops:

So, a collapsong hill and every day Chewbacca can save Rey but Luke can't?

12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I can't wait till the film comes out and these issues look as ridiculous as they look now ( I appreciate this is begging for some major crow if I'm wrong, but I'll risk it).

13. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    T-R-

Well, Luke isn't there. So he doesn't help. This is like asking: "So a bunch of everyday soldiers helped take Berlin at the close of WWII, but old former WWI commander Robert Bullard couldn't leave retirement in Florida to help?"

Luke is in what is likely a self-imposed exile somewhere. The Resistance needs him, but they haven't been able to find him. It takes Rey, the Percival of this story, to "awaken" him. And once he's awake, the First Order better watch out.

I actually wonder if this trilogy will be the reverse of the OT, in a way, and that the second film will essentially be "Episode VIII: The Resistance Strikes Back." You know, like poetry. It rhymes. But backwards. Backwards rhyming poetry.

14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    What evidence is there to prove that Poe's X-Wing squadron's attack across the lake/sea is not the same planet that Skellig is portraying, may be they're attacking Luke and right at the very end Rey arrives as Luke comes out of a smoking ruin and says "is it safe yet?" :p

Seriously though, could the Skellig location be used for any other scenes?

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Of course it could. :p

T-R- and Django Fett like this.
  16. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    TR your right Luke sucks! SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE I lied, he might suck for you! I watched ANH yesterday and just seeing Luke again will be very special. TR Luke is awesome and every time people says he sucks remember he saved his Father. He is and always will be awesome![​IMG]

Dra--- likes this.
  17. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
  18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    [face_rofl] Sometimes it does get overstated in here.

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Its amazing how on the money Donnelly seems to be. Virtually everyone (myself included) was doubting him. Still, I don’t think Luke is on Dagobah. I would prefer it to be a new planet, preferably one that holds some significance with the Force.

Satipo and Dra--- like this.
  20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    It sounds like Donnelly was updated correctly on the story, but that maybe his updates weren't the final version of things.

So my question is whether or not they stuck with Luke "rebuilding" the Jedi Order directly after ROTJ? If so, it could be that only some of Luke's Order was destroyed by the seven. Which many of us have already speculated. But we're still unsure of pure numbers here: what does Donnelly mean by rebuilding. Two Jedi or twenty?

And then we have the tantalizing detail that Luke may have grown super-powerful, and this "disturbance" in the Force which may have led him to desiring the dark side.

As Satipo speculated, it would be very interesting indeed if that "disturbance" was some of Luke's Jedi being destroyed. It would make sense that a super-powerful Luke might be tempted at swift revenge (the dark side), but, being the Luke we know, exiles himself in order to overcome this impulse.

Quite a few of us have already speculated that it might take Luke a few years to overcome this desire for revenge. What state of mind will Luke be in when Rey meets him? [face_devil]

21. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Love it. :)

DarthLightlyBruise and Immortiss like this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Although all of them made themselves nicknames straight out of the gate even though some are not the best.

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

T-R- and ChildOfWinds like this.
  24. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
  25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    my last post was typed in as a quote. i tried several times to make it as a new post, not in quotations, but it wont change it.

so i am reposting it here.:

This relentless assumption that Luke on Skellig Michael for ten years was automatically a horror show (and a "complete waste") is relentlessly narrow-minded. And seemingly disconnected from a key element of the Star Wars saga, which is about connecting to the living force.

your not telling the whole story. not even close. as bad as a decade exiled would be to us, the big issue is that all that Luke worked for up to, and including those ten years failed, and was destroyed. yes Luke can learn something and do it better this time. But still comes off as 30 years of failure

nightangel and ChildOfWinds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.