main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Ewoks Movies: Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth-Horax, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I remember when Caravan of Courage came out, but for whatever reason I missed it the first time around - hard to believe this is 30 years old; where has the time gone?!....When I saw it years later via VHS tape, I enjoyed it since it expanded what we saw of Endor in ROTJ, and I felt the story was solid - especially liked the giant monster who kept the family in a bird-type cage in that cavern, as well as the huge spider-creature.

That being said, the 1985 Ewok TV sequel "Battle for Endor" was far superior; much more epic, with great battle scenes and more of a fantasy element, i.e. the witch who could transform, etc.

Wonder if these two TV films will ever be released on Blu-ray? I've got the Double-sided DVD that came out circa 2004, and while that's fine, there seems to be room for improvement in the picture quality and color....

Ewok Poet and TigerCraneFist like this.
  2. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Wanted to also mention that I re-watched the entire Droids series about two years ago & really enjoyed this. Excellent animation & story.

And, I tried to re-watch the Ewoks cartoon a while back but really couldn't get into this; it's possible part of this was because the quality of the prints I was seeing were extremely poor (Droids was slightly better). However, these Ewoks stories did seem somewhat childish & kiddi-fied, like a lot of Saturday morning cartoons were from that era.

That all being said, I still want to see both cartoons on a deluxe Blu-ray (or DVD) set at some point. The 30th anniversary of both cartoons will be in Fall 2015....

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  4. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Thanks for the link!

Pretty cool, that. Nice to see a little shout-out for those pictures.

You know, along with a proper blu ray release of the complete Star Wars: Droids series (remaster, deleted scenes, production notes, interviews, accompanying release of modern action figures of characters from the show, etc. -- hey, a guy can dream, right?), I'd like to see the Ewok films out there again.

I still remember watching the film at home as a kid and quite liking it (if nowhere near as much as SW, ESB and ROTJ, naturally).

Heh, I also recall not caring for the intro of the second Ewoks film. "Hi. Welcome back. Remember that family you rooted for last time? Yeah, they're all dead. Well, okay, not the little girl, but the rest? Nope. Too bad, so sad." I mean jeesh! :D

I did like Noa, though. :)

Come to think of it, I'd love to see some action figures made of the Ewok film characters, too.

Anyway, yes, bring on the Ewok movies. Maybe a starwars.com showing, or something?

Iron_lord and starocean90 like this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I also liked those movies as a kid, and I agree about the second one being kinda grim for a kid's movie.:D
    On the previous page I also posted another link (Trivia) from StarWar.com for the Ewok movies.;)

Iron_lord and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  7. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Wow, it's been 30 years since I last saw the first Ewoks movie! I remember I didn't really like it much then, but maybe I would appreciate it more now. I don't think I have ever seen the second Ewoks movie.

8. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Caravan Of Courage is pretty good and enjoyable; It gets far too little credit.

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Kaink and Teek were Disneyland specials, I think. I am currently trying to get 'em from somewhere, so I cannot say more. :p

A civilisation that didn't discover metal, living in a backwards world where everybody has a different interpretation of Force and nobody calls it that way? I'd say it's perfectly SW. :)
    I could get you a better link. :)

This may be the same problem I'm having with Caravan of Courage - I didn't grab a DVD yet, and the audio on YouTube is so bad that I would need subtitles to make sure I've understood everything correctly. :(

Also, while I can see a lot of 1980s animation stereotypes in the cartoon (e.g. gasping at every given opportunity), some stories are quite challenging in terms of seriousness, depth and moral: there's death implied in Asha and To Save Deej, some serious bullying in Sunstar vs. Shadowstone...

Don't! The edits are horrible, horrible, horrible.

Number nine...that book rules my word and next to Revenge of the Jedi drafts, it's a clear proof that the character swap myth is just a myth. <3

Trebor Sabreon and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    starocean90 likes this.
  11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I enjoyed the ewok adventures that had that Star Wars feel, same with Willow but Lucas lost his touch by the PT, he went green screen.

12. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    He holiday special is still an interesting piece of star wars history. Don't forget that some star wars fans buy the prequel films even if they hate them because they simply have to own everything star wars related.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    There is a great interview with Eric Walker in the September 2015 issue of Empire. Was wondering if I could post the scanned pages.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd advise against doing so. Empire doesn't strike me as being lenient toward that sort of thing, no pun intended.

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That's a shame...but ohwell, their loss. ;)

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

On November 24, 1985 - thirty years ago today - Ewoks: The Battle for Endor premiered on American television.
    To celebrate this, I thought I'd start a thread for the fans of the Ewoks movies, since we don't appear to have one that I could find.

I'm pretty vocal about my love for the Ewoks movies on these forums - more than most I'd say. I wasn't born yet when The Battle for Endor was released (born i '86), but I watched it back in 1994. I had recently seen The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi for the first time, and had instantly become a Star Wars fan. Then The Battle for Endor was shown on Swedish television, and I was really excited (I loved the Ewoks in ROTJ - still do). When I watched it, I just assumed it was the next Star Wars film - the sequel to Return of the Jedi.
    So I actually saw this film before I saw A New Hope.

It wasn't until a couple of years later that I found out about Caravan of Courage - and that from an old Marvel Star Wars comic book from the 80's that I bought at a second-hand bookstore. However, that film proved to be very hard to find. The Battle for Endor was available for rent at my local video store back then, so I used to rent it and watch it quite often, but they didn't have Caravan of Courage, and it was never shown on TV.

A few years down the line, I convinced the video store to sell me their copy of The Battle for Endor (it turned out no one but me ever rented it), so I was happy. But I just couldn't find Caravan of Courage.

It wasn't until the year 1999 that I finally saw it. It was shown on Swedish Canal+ together with the Star Wars trilogy, and of course, The Battle for Endor. I was very disappointed.
    I thought it was too kiddy, and it had very little to do with Star Wars. I then more or less forgot about the Ewoks movies.

When the films were released on DVD in 2004 (eleven years ago yesterday to be exact), I bought them immediately, just to have them. I watched them, but found both films to be boring and too kiddy.
    After that, I didn't watch the films for many years. It wasn't until about a year or two ago that I finally put on the DVD and watched them again.

I now I love them! I guess I grew out of my "I'm too cool for this kiddy stuff" attitude sometime after my teen years.
    I still think Caravan of Courage is inferior to The Battle for Endor, but now I'm able to see it for what it is. And it has some really awesome effects and matte paintings - the boar-wolf is wonderful, and the Gorax is one of the best man-in-suit effects ever created. It also gave us a much broader perspective of the "Forest" moon of Endor - deserts and mountains, not to mention all the new, strange and wonderful creatures.

[​IMG]
    (The Boar-Wolf was later mentioned in the new-canon novel Aftermath, and is therefore canon)

While I think Caravan of Courage is a good film, I think The Battle for Endor is a great film. It's kiddy, yes - but not that kiddy. I mean, it begins with the main character's family getting killed.
    It's a wonderful childrens film, and I still enjoy it immensely as an adult.
    It truly is, to me, a Star Wars film, and it will always be a part of my personal canon!

Oh yeah, it also gave us our first Nightsister:
    [​IMG]
    (Played by the great Siân Philips)

Do you have any special memories of the Ewoks movies? Do you like them? Do you have the DVD? Would you want a new release of the films? Which is your favorite of the two?
    Do you think it's about time they made a third one?

Discuss!

And happy 30th, Battle for Endor! [face_party]

[​IMG]
    (King Terak, a Sanyassan marauder. I'd love to see more of those guys in the future)

[​IMG]
    (Teek, originally planned to be a puppet, was played buy a little person in a suit)

[​IMG]
    (These guys are still canon, since they appeared in The Clone Wars)

[​IMG]
    (Here we actually get to see the gas-giant Endor)

[​IMG]
    (And, last but certainly not least, a shot of the Gorax from the first film. Because it's awesome!)

Blur, Ewok Poet, 13977 and 4 others like this.
  17. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    As an Ewok fan myself , I'm glad you made this thread . SW Ewoks and Ewok Adventures are both great.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    When I was a kid, my mom recorded both of these and I watched them both so much I broke the VHS tape they were recorded on. I picked up the DVD when it came out and I have to say they weren't quite as good as I remembered as a 4 or 5 year old, but they are still fun to watch every now and again. I'm not sure which one I like better now but as a kid The Battle of Endor's sad beginning kind of made me prefer Caravan of Courage.

Also I didn't realize they made Charal a Nightsister but I guess that makes sense.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think it was Kevin J Anderson who retconned Charal into a Nightsister in a "guide to characters" or something like that.
    Say what you will about Anderson, but it makes total sense. Her appearance, as well as her magic ring, goes well with other things we've seen of the Nightsisters.

As for the beginning of TBFE - yeah, I see how that would make a kid sad if they'd seen Caravan first! To me, it had sort of an opposite effect. It made me care less for the characters in the first film when I finally saw it.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    TigerCraneFist

I merged your thread with this one because we already had an Ewok discussion thread. Next time please you the search button on the forums to make sure a thread about the topic you want to post about hasn't already been created.

21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I knew of this thread - but it's about the cartoon, not the movies. My thread was about the movies.

I think seperate threads for those is better than having it all in one thread - they are different shows after all.

22. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I merged the wrong one my bad. But there is already a thread about the Ewok movies (this one) and we don't need multiple separate threads on the subject.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Illustrated Star Wars Universe and The Essential Guide to Characters came out very close together - December 1995 and November 1995. Charal is not in The Essential Guide to Characters- but Cindel Towani is. I know Charal was a Nightsister as of The Illustrated Star Wars Universe at least - I'm not sure if any info about her made it into Cindel's entry in the earlier book.

The much later Book of Sith, in the Nightsisters section, written by Mother Talzin, discussed various talismans, with the comment "One of our brethren has yet to return the Talisman of the Raven".

24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Fair enough!

I'd just like to say that I respectfully disagree. This thread was on page five or six, is about Droids, The Holiday Special, and the Ewok movies. It's very unspecific, and seemed to have run its course.
    My thread was specifically about the Ewok movies, and was created to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the second movie. They are, until next year, the only live-action Star Wars spinoffs - I think they deserve a little more recognition is all.

But you're the boss [face_peace]

25. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I understand where your coming from but at least this thread can appeal to a few of the old classics under one thread. I mean, it's better to have a single thread covering a few topics that users can discuss then to have seperate threads that make it harder for users to find and look for constantly with the search function and wonder if the thread is the one they are looking for.

I do however enjoy the Ewok movies and I agree with you that they do deserve more recognition.