main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Well, what I mean, is that some folks degrade Lucas's contributions to film making, emphasizing his weaknesses, while others hold him up as an icon of creative genius.... the man who IS Star Wars. I'm more of a realist, I think. Like pretty much everyone, Lucas is a man of strengths and weaknesses. I personally think he got to be too much of a fan of his own myth in the PT, and failed to use restraint. He began to believe more was better. It's what some folks don;t like about the SE as well. The frame began to be so jammed with STUFF that the whole thing starts to feel unfocused. But I'm losing the thread here now.

I've always felt that Star Wars, like any other cultural icon, is greater than the sum of its parts, and is more than Lucas could ever imagine. It has taken seed in our brains, imaginations, and emotions. No matter WHAT LFL does, whether or not Lucas is leading it or not, there will be some segment of fandom that will not like it. Can't be avoided. I personally am inclined to just enjoy the ride, but some folks take this all very personally. When rumors of the ST first surfaced and it looked like Lucas would be in charge, I was excited, despite my opinion that Lucas was passed his glory days. But again, I am of the opinion that Star Wars lives in our collective imaginations far more than could possibly be contained in the mind of even George Lucas. But I am post-modernist and don't much credit "authenticity" in the intent of the author. Just give me a Star Wars movie to love. ;)

Darth Downunder likes this.
  2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    It's still kind of surreal were getting episode 7 tbh. I remember the hype and excitement for Revenge of the Sith in 2005. I loved the marketing for it and man was it sad that it was going to be the last Star Wars film. Today, it is my favorite Sci fi, and one of my favorite films, of all time! I really do hope Hayden makes an appearance next film.

3. Sab Jo

Sab Jo Jedi Master star 2

Jul 2, 2013
    "I'll be interested in seeing what the self-described "saga fans" make of TFA when it comes out.
    Last edited by Strongbow, Today at 2:34 PM"

You'll probably find that, for the most part, their opinions will be quite reasonable. Relatively few arguments based on emotions or sweeping assertions. Many will likely call out unoroginality or fan catering when they see it, but even then I'm sure that most will enjoy it immensely for what it is.

4. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Deliveranze Now that is something to realise. I remember also thinking - this is it - the last time for all this.

But it's not !

Yip, Sab Jo saga fans are the ones who have accepted most changes so are unlikely to be the ones most upset.

Now I know it doesn't seam that way here, but this change you have to admit is a big one - handing over the reigns fully. If you are not a Lucas fan then it means nothing, but for saga fans it is. But even then I don't see much reason for bitterness if a discontinuity is formed, because of course saga fans include the OT as well and are not going to be averse to a little X-wing action are they?

It's the central story arc that is the reason for the apprehension, and as yet no one really has any idea how this is going to pan out or wether it is going to be as satisfactory a frame for all the whizz bang as it was for the other six - and it's going to be a while yet before we get any pay off to asses that - like Luke removing Vaders helmet, or Anakin melting.

Long way to go yet.

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I know right? I can't wait to see where this trilogy goes. I really hope episode 8 gives us something big like idk, what if the New Republic starts to go down the path of the Old Republic? You know? Like a big plot twist to stir up the saga. Even if the prequels never go down in history as amazing, the fact that they exist and always will makes them feel real to me.

6. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

This is what I don't get, the OT was also more is better (just with models, puppets, and blue screen), the only restraint were those placed on him such as budgets and limited technology. If you like it or not, Lucas was a man who pushed the envelope and even with ANH he fought constraints others try to place on him, while JJ seems to be much more of a conservative film maker bending to the wills of others such as Disney and angry fans. Basically he always was a more is better type guy and the OT reflects it just as much as the PT does.

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    The Force Awakens Newest HOLIDAY Footage!

8. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015

IMO the music didn't fit. I think they should have used something else from star wars.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. S2N2

S2N2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 29, 2015

The rumors seem to suggest that he will. I hope he shows up too. As a force ghost though. Not as a flashback or a clone. A clone seems a little too out there for Disney to try though anyway.

I remember the buildup to ROTS as well. It was a great time to be a fan! I was 13 when ROTS was released so I was exactly the target demographic for the movies, and I couldn't have enjoyed that whole PT era any more than I had! I remember getting picked up from school on opening day and going straight to the movie theater with my friend. I left completely satisfied with the completion of the Saga.

I enjoyed the whole marketing of the movie as well. I enjoyed that they marketed it as connecting the entire saga since it was (at the time) the last star wars that would be made, and it connected the PT with the OT. The fact that a new movie is coming out again in a month IS surreal.

I have been critical of things I have seen from TFA so far. Mostly the OT iconography (x wings, tie fighters, etc) and the possible plot direction. But really despite all that, I am still extremely excited for this. I am a Saga fan, so I love the OT just as much as the PT. Getting to see Luke and Han and the princess progress their characters in a new story and (hopefully) getting to see the legacy of Anakin Skywalker is awesome.

I just hope the ST can stand with the Saga and feel like it connects with ALL of the movies. I think bringing back Hayden as a force ghost would be a large step towards achieving that.

10. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I wonder if part of the reason for inserting Hayden into ROTJ's ending was because Uncle George intended to have Anakin as a main figure (as a ghost, of course) in the ST.....[face_thinking]

11. S2N2

S2N2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 29, 2015

Yaaaaaa I wonder. Hard to say. I think regardless of his reasoning, the fact that he added Hayden opens up a great opportunity to create some consistency with the entire Saga in a way that doesn't shoe-horn PT themes into an era that is many decades removed from the old republic. Of course the story would have to call for Anakin's return. I wouldn't want them to just throw him in for that sake of it. I would still enjoy the cameo though ;)

12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    So is this at times. Just a much smaller circle ;)
    More for teens though than very young kids, hence the multiple dismemberments, Owen & Beru burnt to a crisp etc. Lucas is a bit like Han Solo when he refers to "kids" as his audience. He means young adults & teens. In any case what the intention was is different to what it has evolved into. The movies are now PG-13. So they're definitely not kiddie movies. The classic audience for SW has & probably always will be teenage boys, with everyone else also able to enjoy it.
    Of course, it was a re-release of a 13 year old movie. Those going to see it were mostly fans of that movie.
    That's inevitable, & out of respect for Lucas & fans of the SE's they'll always have those available too. They should call the SE's the Director's Cuts (eps 1-4) & the George Lucas editions (eps 4-5). Plenty of movies have the originals & a director's cut. Everyone gets what they want.
    That's annoying but it has nothing to do with the marketing. It's a magazine making their own decisions. Criticism of the CGI in the PT has been happening for 10+ years.
    Probably just didn't like that plot point. Found it uninteresting. Mind you alot of accountants & taxation professionals were riveted buy it ;)

thejeditraitor and Strongbow like this.
  13. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I think you could say that for ROTJ to some extent, but not for ESB. ESB was a pretty brave film, imo. It eschewed a huge space battle. It separated the heroes. Heck, Luke spends a huge hunk of the film with just Yoda. Narratively, it was quite unique. ROTJ did represent the beginning of Lucas's fall to the dark side IMO. He couldnt resist giving the Ewoks goofy gadgets. He couldn't resist the Chewie Tarzan yell. But still, it managed some restraint. But by the time of the SE's, it just seems to me like Lucas lost all sense of knowing when to stop, or more likely, he stopped listening to folks who were telling him he was going to far. Just my opinion, of course.

Darth Downunder and DarthAhem like this.
  14. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Agreed. I think it would be cool to see Anakin's force ghost in VIII if it was part of the story and unforced.
    Hayden's performance in ROTS is unjustly or at least overly criticized by some people, imo.

15. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
  16. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I really like those posters!
    Especially the middle one.

17. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

In the original one from 1977, it was written "summer" instead of "winter".

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I seem to recall replying to this post before, but in case I wasn't clear, I will do so again.

Intellectual discussion: awesome!
    Beating the same dead horses and trolling: not awesome!

It's that simple.

1. Never said that.
    2. Many times this is indeed the case.
    6.5, 6.6, 7.7. Those are the PT IMDB ratings. Seems they had a lot more fans than non-fans.
    I never said that.
    They say that all the time. In fact, I distinctly recall you yourself saying something that was almost word for word like that.
    In case you missed the thread title, this thread is for prequel FANS. I have no problem with you on a personal level but given your stance on the prequels I really have no idea what you are doing in here. Same goes to everyone else bashing those who are not thrilled about Disney's approach to E7.

19. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    The overall quality of the movie should have absolutely no bearing on whether this opinion is justified or not.

20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    & you left out my very next line which was that the many fans who disregard the PT don't do so for the "fan fiction" reasons but bcs they just prefer to ignore them as if they don't exist. Same result though.

thejeditraitor and Strongbow like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Coming to your galaxy this winter. I loved that motif with the OT. Did they do that with the PT? Lessens it if they didn't.
    And The story of a boy, a girl and a galaxy. That was great too.

22. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    You were still implying that it was odd for people to dismiss a movie as fan fiction without having seen it. I completely disagree. There isn't a single thing TFA could do (including being the greatest movie of all time) that would change that opinion. As I've said in other posts, I have no doubt the movie will be very enjoyable and entertaining.

Cryogenic and Darkslayer like this.
  23. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Guys! We don't want this thread to be locked!

As heels1785 mentionned, not only once, but twice earlier, this thread is meant to discuss the new Star Wars content and movies, not to criticize the quality of the prequels.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I completely agree. But is obvious that there is at least a single person posting in this thread who has nothing but disdain for the prequels.
    I should have amended my post to say "primarily" for kids, as I agree that it appeals to both - but kids were first on the list.
    That part of the thread gave me a combination of a minor depression and a headache. I still haven't finished catching up on that part. [face_laugh]

But I will say that for a while there was very little to discuss, so I found it a bit more reasonable in those cases. Still not a huge fan of those days though.

25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It's a ridiculous label that is clearly meant to trivialize the new movies. SW will be an ongoing iconic property that will last probably forever. It was always going to. To label all future content as "fan fiction" is just a silly childish insult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.