main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's correct. The movie and its story doesn't come from the author of the franchise, it comes from fans. Therefore the assertion that it's (licensed) fan fiction is valid and accurate.

It's meant to point out the difference between these new movies and the previous ones, and what they chose to do as opposed to what they could have done (i.e: follow the story Lucas provided them and keep him as creative consultant).

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Labeling Kasdan, the Story Group, Lucasfilm, Ben Burtt, ILM, John Williams etc as merely fans on the same level as some average Joe who writes his own stories is the height of idiocy. It's a cheap attempt at trivializing the new movies by people with an axe to grind.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Aren't they following Lucas' plot lines for E8 and E9, the spin-off movies and the book/comic gap between ROTJ and TFA?
    People are blowing this out of proportion imo.

Dagobahsystem, Davak24 and Darkslayer like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That's what I've heard. I really hope you are right.

Jedi Knight Fett and Pensivia like this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Because of this, I don't think TFA is that different. It could be, so who knows?
    And since most of the people who have been working on the previous movies are still there, the ST isn't fan-fic.
    Not that that would be what I would judge that on. If I don't like the ST as much as I do the NJO series and its AU endings, I'll just make it AU continuations. Still a continuation but not my preferred one.

Davak24 likes this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It's not meant to do so in a mature & respectful way. It's meant to insult & demean. Don't pretend it's not. Question is, why is it allowed? heels1785? People who question the legitimacy of the PT or TCW get warned & banned over in the TFA forum. It's clear a few PT fans here have little regard for the many PT fans who are also invested in the new movie. The TFA = fan fiction meme should be banned. It's no different to questioning the canon status of content that is officially canon, which is against the TOS.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Alexrd Darth Downunder I think you both have valid points. If GL had written no story I'd agree with DD but since he did I agree with Alex

8. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I said this before, but the hard-liners have every right to not include the ST in their PERSONAL canon. You want the story to end there? Fine. No one is going to strap you to a chair and force you to watch the ST.

But the facts are the ST & PT are equally canonical now. That can't be denied. Any films made set post ST are going to have to acknowledge the ST as canon.

And it's not a case of "Boo Hoo- Lucas can't make the version he wants." He sold the rights. They're gone. Poof. A Lucas helmed ST ain't gonna happen in this reality. Lucas himself made that choice. Nobody pried the rights from his white-knuckled grasp.

9. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

Respectfully l disagree. In ANH there are cantinas full of goofy aliens, a moon sized battle station that can blow up planets, and magic space knights with laser swords. ESB has snow monsters, big ground battles in the snow that was a huge challenge to pull off with the white background, an asteroid chase, giant space slugs living in asteroids, and flying cities. Even Yoda is a bit silly being an ancient wise elf type figure. Star Wars has always been goofy and why some have always seen it as silly kids stuff.

CIS Droid, Alienware and Cryogenic like this.
  10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Spot on! As for the fan fiction thing, I'm not suggesting people shouldn't express their preference for Lucas derived stories. Just not by way of a childish & insulting label like that.

Strongbow likes this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I can see it both ways. Therefore I fully recognize TFA's canonicity while also reserving to the right to state that in several ways it reminds me of a fan film.

Alienware, Cryogenic and Darkslayer like this.
  12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I think the bizarre aliens in Mos Eisley can't be compared to, say, the Ewok hang-glider. Likewise, something like the space slug might stretch credulity, but it's not silly in the same kind of way as Chewie doing a Tarzan yell. It's a matter of degree, but IMO, those things go over the line a bit. Not enough to really gum up the movie ala Jar-Jar, but he was headed that way.

All in my opinion, of course. But we're a bit off track.... I can;t even remember what I was talking about originally!

Man, you can say what you want and think it too! But like it or not, these will be "official." I'm not sure what the point would be to argue otherwise. It's like the people who refuse to acknowledge the PT as canon. Whether they like it not, it is!

13. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Well, the sad reality is Lucas doesn't want to have to deal with the "fan" (and I use the term loosely) bull**** anymore. In a "just" world, Lucas would be able to do as he pleases with his concept without the fear of insane backlash.

But, at the same time, it's his choice. If he wanted to direct the ST badly enough, I'm sure nothing could've prevented him.

Darth Nerdling and Darkslayer like this.
  14. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    That most recent trailer looks pretty good.

However it puts this whole thing into perspective. Basically up to now each 'trailer' has been a few seconds more either side of the same scenes, with much conspicuous by it's absence.

The first thing anybody saw was a guy in a real suite, and a quick shot of the falcon.

"Is this OK ? - oh it'll be lots of prctical effects as well."

The second one was mainly to do with "look - here is Han and Chewie - everyone OK with this right?"

Cue grown men crying. Oh by the way this director is influenced only by the originals so please don't worry - there will be men in uniforms.

Finally, finally many gradual increases later we are getting what looks like a proper Star Wars trailer containing some bigger sections, some nice shiny CGI space battle work, even an alien head, and a scene that actually looks just like a digital matte from AOTC (though of course each one of those stormtroopers is an *** cough ** extra - really ).

Crazy fan pandering spoon feeding.

Much fear I sensed in Disney !

Cryogenic and Darkslayer like this.
  15. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Pun?

On the latest trailer, I really liked how they used the Zam the Assassin music but they could've picked a better piece. Didn't really fit the trailer.

CIS Droid and Darth Downunder like this.
  16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    SEVEN more pages???

And I'm only just now able to access TFN again?

Either you have to be geographically closer to the TFN server; or the Force isn't with my net connection. :(

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

I don't think he's questioning the legitimacy - techinically, JJ Abrams has called himself a fan to carry on GL's legacy, and the story is fiction. I understand that there are some undertones to his comment, most likely, but I don't see anything that violates the TOS.

Edit - it's been a problem for many of us this weekend, Cryo - glad to have you back.

18. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    What are we going to do when the film comes out ? We won't be able to vent our spleen until the middle of summer.

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat..."

Pensivia, Alienware, Sab Jo and 2 others like this.
  19. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Hooper drives the boat Chief.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sab Jo like this.
  20. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Look, I don't consider it fan-fiction, but I respect the right of those who do to express that point of view. Maybe some take "fan-fiction" as a slight, but they only mean that they don't consider it "real" Star Wars not only because it doesn't come from the vision of Lucas, but that it contradicts his vision because they tossed his treatments.

Those on this thread who don't consider it "real" Star Wars aren't doing so in a hateful way by a vast majority. Most of them are depressed. Some of them have stopped posting. Some have returned their tickets. They see Star Wars as Lucas's vision. They understand that TFA could have followed his vision, but the CBS interview confirmed that they chose not to. This is a disappoint for them. Their point of view shouldn't be marginalized. They already feel marginalized enough by what has occurred.

21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I agree. Hayden coming back would only work if he returns as a ghost. The saddest confession I have to make is I didn't see episode 3 in theaters. I was 7 at the time and I had serious hearing problems due to ear infections as a kid and I hated movie theaters with loud sounds...which of course is a major problem. Also I had the junior novel and knew Dooku was going to be decapitated and I wasn't sure how graphic it would be. When I saw it on DVD, I was polarized slightly due to the darkness that permeate the film.....Now I absolutely love it and it's as iconic to me as the OT is to others.

22. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

I also had problems to access theforce.net yesterday evening and this morning.

Cryogenic likes this.
  23. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Same here. I was bummed!

Jedi Knight Fett and Cryogenic like this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Want me to quickly summarise it all for you? ;)
    Fair enough, thanks for the answer. I don't agree since it's being produced by the legitimate owners of SW, as chosen by Lucas. But whatevs.

25. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Nice to meet you Cryo. I have lurked here for months and I think you have very well written posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.