main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Romantic Future of Kylo Ren and Rey

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sunbloom, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowan_greenleaf

rowan_greenleaf Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015

Agreed, he could end up being worse -- but based on what we saw in TFA and what we've heard of Del Toro's character, I don't think so. We shall see.

A possible explanation is that Finn's role as catalyst to the story is likely complete. Now that events have been put into motion, he is no longer key to the story and may as well not wake up from the coma for how instrumental he is going to be, imo. I WANT him to wake up because I enjoy him, but there's nothing that Finn and only Finn can bring in order for the story to progress. Putting an end to the FO's baby snatching operation would be a satisfying conclusion to his arc, but anyone else can do that.

Kylo Ren and Rey's connection, whatever it ends up being, IS integral to the story. Hence Kylo's screen time may increase, while Finn's may decrease. I freely admit this is speculation/wishful thinking on my part, but it's a reasonable explanation. Though to be fair, the rewrites may have been put in place to address exactly this. People loved Finn, and maybe Disney wanted to ensure there was enough of him to go around.

As an aside, please don't let anyone run you off from this thread. Your posts are pretty cool, and it's good to have something to debate rather than just agree on everything.

This is what I expect to see. Disney knows that people love StormPilot. Giving Poe and Finn more screen time together is an easy way to satisfy the audience without actually giving those characters a romantic arc together, which might ruffle feathers internationally. It's a smart move.

panki, civilsecret, Zeralyos and 5 others like this.
  2. Diddy Minty

Diddy Minty Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2016
    FrolickingFizzgig I love that you love Spike as much as I do!

I guess Back To The Future had some uncomfortable incest moments too, so I can see why some people's minds are going there r.e The Star Wars universe. But... nope.

From talking Reylo with friends and family, I would say the biggest stumbling block to them being able to imagine it is the issue of whether they're related or not. It won't change everyone's mind, I know, but it opens some people up to the possibility.

I would be very surprised if Kylo Ren and Rey didn't get the most screen time in Episode VIII, whether that's in scenes together or not. I expect Mark Hamill to get decent screen time, but I think he will still be used sparingly. If Finn and Poe are paired together (I'm talking plot wise not relationship, although I would love StormPilot) I envisage they would be more the B plot to Rey and Ren's A plot and would get less screen time, but not significantly less.

panki, civilsecret, Zeralyos and 9 others like this.
  3. FrolickingFizzgig

FrolickingFizzgig Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2016
    You seem to stalk this thread all the time, jumping in any time you can to mention Finn. Finn this, Finn that. Okay, you love Finn. Trust me, we've heard. This is still not the place to discuss Finn. Want to talk about Finn with me? Send me a PM. I promise I'll answer it, but otherwise, I think I'm done replying to your attention-seeking posts about Finn. They almost always allude to your bias anyway.

4. MyOnlyHope

MyOnlyHope Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Fascinating! Another piece added to the puzzle. Interesting that Rey doesn't know how she arrived on Jakku. In Rey's forceback, her younger self seems to know exactly who she is calling to "come back." Perhaps her memory was tampered with after being abandoned on the desert planet?

5. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    That's essentially what I was going to say, but I wasn't sure if it would be worth my time or not. As of right now with the developments we've been given, Finn is just going to wake up, join the Resistance and complete his story arc. It's just a simple fact that his arc seems to surround the First Order as a company of war. I would love to see him save the other stormtroopers, as I've said. It would be a worthy B-Plot for the Resistance, and it would lead to Finn coming to face real personal-demons, something I wanted to see from him in The Force Awakens. I don't think "anyone" can complete this specific arc. Finn started it when he chose to go rogue, and he'll be the one to finish it in order to bring his story full-circle. Hence: "You don't know the First Order like I do." This is all assuming Finn ISN'T Force Sensitive, as I personally don't think he is.

As for Ren and Rey, you spelled it out. They are currently integral to the development of the A-Plot. Just think about the Original Trilogy for comparison. The A-Plot always surrounded Luke's journey to becoming a Jedi and facing Darth Vader. Of course, certain developments changed how that end came about. Family relations were revealed, all that. The B-Plot — while encompassing many different elements — essentially surrounded Han and Leia's love story. How much did Han and Leia interact with Luke after A New Hope? Not all that much. Why? Because his development took him in a separate trajectory, toward Yoda, Vader and the Emperor.

6. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    I definitely expect more Poe/Finn scenes. I really believe that's what the script edits were about — that, and Disney's realization that Christmas sells. People loved Finn and Poe, and as rowan_greenleaf said, giving them more on-screen interaction would be a great way to satisfy people without actually taking the plunge, so to speak. They had great chemistry and I personally do want them to remain separate from Rey and Luke, not just because it would be beneficial to Rey's character development, but because we need some comedy too.

Also, Spike <3

7. MissG

MissG Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2016
    It's interesting I actually believe that Reylo and Finnrey can co-exist, yes that probably means a love triangle of sorts and unless they leave it open( which could very well be the case) there could only be one outcome. From my personal observation of events in TFA I feel that Reylo would be one sided with Kylo chasing Rey ( even if I hope and pray to be proven wrong), which means Rey could very well still get together with Finn, Poe, a new character or even alone. I know if done well I will enjoy the movies no matter who she might get with, the only difference would be if there is not even a hint of something romantic between Kylo and Rey( I include one sided interest in it), there'd be no repeat viewings for me.

Force22 and Beardwalker like this.
  8. Nod79

Nod79 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    It really does seem like she has repressed memories. It occurring some time after she gets left behind makes a lot of sense...I didn't even think of that possibility. She also looked shocked and confused at what she was seeing in the Force vision. It's also interesting that she says "somebody" in the survival guide, and Maz says "someone" in the castle scene.

It's also fascinating how it seems like Jakku has such a strong connection to the Empire and Palpatine.

panki and Valency Jane like this.
  9. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    All this A and B plot discussion is worthless since its largely subjective. The deemed A plot could be the weakest aspect of the sequel (like Padme/Anakin) and the B plot could be infinitely more entertaining. If someone says they enjoyed the Han Leia aspects of the OT, none of us are qualified to say their favorite is better or more important.

10. Beardwalker

Beardwalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    Just a heads up to anyone and everyone, this post is not a character promotion, just another possible interpretation. The somebody from the survival guide could be seen as Finn at least in a temporary aspect since we don't know if anything has been made "right" for Rey. Finn got her off Jakku, even though he kind of forced her off Jakku, which lead to Maz. Talking to Maz appears to have gotten her to accept that fact that waiting on Jakku was going to be in vain. As of now she has a new possible family with Chewie, Leia, Finn and all the resistance crew (RIP Han). So now she has a purpose to live for other than waiting for someone to return.

11. IoJovi

IoJovi Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2016
    I may have stated this before, but I would give up both ovaries for Rey to be of Palpatine lineage.

12. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013

I don't know about repressed memories or memory wipes - but it is just that she was left on Jakku at a really young age and after 14 years she doesn't recall everything in HD quality. So when the forceback happens, it is much clearer than her fallible memories.

13. Saracene

Saracene Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 10, 2016
    I don't expect Kylo to have more screen time than Finn in the next episode. Finn was a part of pretty much every action sequence except the trench run in TFA, and the war between the Resistance and First Order will be a huge element of the series, with more large-scale action sequences. Kylo is just not the kind of character who is going to be on the ground running around with the stormtroopers.

Nanosoft, Sgt. Carver and Force22 like this.
  14. MyOnlyHope

Jan 20, 2016
    Of course! But that purpose is to seek out the belonging that lies ahead of her, confront and find compassion for the one who represents everything she opposes, unravel the mysteries of dark and light, and bring hope back to the galaxy... not Netflix and Chill with Finn at the Resistance Base.

panki, civilsecret, Nod79 and 5 others like this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, I'll give you this, you're dedicated.
    Maybe they could combine and form FinnReylotron: Defender of the Universe! :p

panki, darth_frared, Speksy and 7 others like this.
  16. Diddy Minty

Jan 28, 2016
    The reported Episode VIII script rewrites can't have been that extensive or integral to the way it was already plotted out as production was only delayed by a matter of weeks. The addition of more Finn/Poe scenes does seem a likely explanation given the runaway success of that pairing with fans. As much as I want Reylo to happen, I think if it wasn't already planned and written, no quick rewriting was going to put it there. We have discussed at length the kind of things that would have to happen plot wise to take things in a Reylo direction, and if Rey and Kylo aren't already planned as the A plot in VIII, that will probably be that.

panki, Speksy, civilsecret and 4 others like this.
  17. IoJovi

Feb 8, 2016
    OMG I posted today on my tumblr about my very first ship. Guess who it is? That's right... Allura and Lotor. There's a pattern with me shipping villains, I admit...

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    Based on everything we've heard, I expect Episode VIII to be a lot less action-oriented, at least in a manner of speaking. I would say Finn, Poe and the Resistance are going to take on the action-centric parts of the narrative, with Rey and Luke focusing more on training, exposition and giving us much-needed answers about the history of the Jedi, the Force, Ren and Snoke. I'm sure it'll all culminate into something else by the end, but I really get the feeling Finn and Rey are going to be on their own — separate — narrative paths. Splitting Finn and Rey up just in Episode VIII just makes a lot more sense because the writers will be able to cover more narrative ground with the same number of characters.

panki, Speksy, civilsecret and 3 others like this.
  19. Diddy Minty

Jan 28, 2016
    My personal preference has always been for Rey to be Obi-Wan Kenobi's granddaughter, but coming from Palpatine's family would be a great twist. Anything but Rey Skywalker!

panki, Speksy, Valency Jane and 2 others like this.
  20. MyOnlyHope

Jan 20, 2016
    In a way, that will probably happen! One day, after this saga is complete, we're all going to look back on the image of Finn, Rey, and Kylo facing each other in the snowy woods, and think: "Aww... you guys might hate each other now, but soon enough you'll all be bringing balance back to the force and to the galaxy as an adorable trio." <3

Speksy, civilsecret, Sforza and 4 others like this.
  21. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    I dunno I know its not a complete change but as said before by me that a man of Johnson's caliber they can write 10-15 thousand words in a quick turn around. However, am not saying that is what happened [face_laugh] Plus the rumors never said just Poe I do think other characters have had there time expanded too.

Diddy Minty likes this.
  22. IoJovi

Feb 8, 2016
    ANYTHING but Rey Skywalker. There is far more evidence that she's of Kenobi descent than Palpatine, I admit. I loved the character of Sheev, and he was the one aspect of the prequels I actually liked. I really love Ian McDermaid as an actor. Plus, it would add even a more of a yin-yang aspect to Rey and Ren on top what's already there. He originates from a place of light, and she originates from a place of darkness.

However, if she's of Kenobi descent, it makes the very last scene in TFA that much more impactful, as she offers the lightsaber to Luke.

23. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    Basically if Rey is a Skywalker:
    [​IMG]
    There are way too many great quotes from this show.

panki, Speksy, civilsecret and 8 others like this.
  24. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    It would make sense that the edits were more centred around comedic content, not important narrative content. They really wouldn't have had the time for that.

panki likes this.
  25. IoJovi

Feb 8, 2016
    I am 100% certain the rewrites did not involve any changes to the integral plot overall. They may have added a few more stormpiloty fluffy moments and that's perfectly fine by me.
    If anything, I think they were looking for an excuse to push the movie out to December purely for financial reasons, and the rewrites were a perfect excuse.

panki, Speksy, civilsecret and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.