main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What people would like to see from me next month's fanon?

* Munto Codru’s Wild Wizards?
    * Green Kensei and Green Kensei space?
    * Different blasters/blaster tech?
    * Near-arkanian species?
    * The Proud (a UR species)?
    * Lost Force traditions?
    * Threats in the Unknown regions?
    * Fashion styles/subcultures?
    * 'Slugthrowers and Sorcery' a literary genre?

2. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    It was suggested that I bring one of the devices I used in a recent story here. Rather than carry a lightsaber (MURDERSTICK!), this Jedi character used stunbags. They're described as leather bags filled with some sort of compressible bean, used via telekinesis for stunning/bruising/disabling. The average Jedi can adequately handle 6 or so, while a TK Adept can master flinging 12 or more around. I'd be happy to have a discussion about these weapons, if anybody had any suggestions. :)

Gamiel: I'd be most interested in the Wild Wizards.

For the challenge, I got the Twilek language, and "Who are you calling, scruffy-looking?"

3. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Thank you for posting, Jedi_Perigrine, and thank you too for entering the challenge. :) I've added your post on stunbags to the index, and I've listed your name and dice results in the participants list at the end of the challenge post.

Just one small heads-up about fanon thread post procedure: whenever you post new fanon material here (according to the guidelines outlined in the OP), please also send this sock a PM by way of notification. Thanks!

Finally to announce a few updated posts: Findswoman has updated her fanon post on Gand flora and fauna with the weg and its fur, as well as her main Gand fanon post with entries on the First and Second Evaluations and the zaguur-juna, the inanimate-objects counterpart to the officially established zaviir-juna. (And yes, that is me—I have become pretty adept over the years at referring to myself in the third person, perhaps unsurprisingly. :p )

Jedi_Perigrine and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Hello again, everyone!

Hope no one will mind my posting again with a friendly reminder that there is exactly one month left to complete your stories for the Fanon Quote Challenge—the due date is October 9.

And as always, I'd be glad to hear how are going for you in the challenge, and to answer any questions, provide prompts, etc. as needed. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Interesting. My post disappeared.

Oh well, Take Two: thank you for this reminder, as while I have been struggling which of my backlog of fics to update, I had a) forgotten all about this one; b) forgotten one of my fics had a deadline.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I still have about 500 words for my story, but the whole idea has changed. At this point, I'm not sure if it should be a multi-chapter or not. But we'll see.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Raissa Baiard

I'm having the Hoatzeri being the only race that follows "Red Alert" as a colour convention.

Hope you don't mind, and if you have a better colour, please advise.

8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    That's fine; I don't mind.

As you've probably noticed, the Hoatzeri aren't nearly as developed as most of the other fanon species, so I'm open to suggestions and additions. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I think you have done fine with the race.

Seeing as you wanted one as a copilot for Luke, I am surprised you have not found a use for the species.

Edit: 1,037 words added. The most for a long time that I have managed in a single update. Adding my own OCs helped.

Findswoman likes this.
  10. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Thus far, I have come up with several ideas--but none of them have worked out enough for me to even start writing. But I have yet another one, and a possible opening sentence, so I might open a word processing file today and look into it. I will say one thing about it: the character who seems the most likely candidate to say "I'm kind of a big deal" will not be given that line.

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    As for now I am trying to continue my current fic, we will see if I take the time/get the inspiration to also do something for this contest in time.

Findswoman likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Conversely, I find it encouraging that this time, I am not having the worst progress.

Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  13. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Great to hear from everyone. :)

You're most welcome; glad to help. And it's great to see your productivity taking a good turn! Interesting how OCs can have that effect sometimes? ;)

Muses are definitely known to do that from time to time, and I hope this one won't be too much of a moose. :p Whether you go with single- or multichapter, it's welcome in the challenge; for multi-chapter stories, it's best if the part(s) that include the quote and the element can be up by the deadline if at all possible. But you probably already guessed that! :)

That's definitely good news—wishing you much success with that new document. And now I'm of course all curious to know who (or at least what kind of character) you do intend to have say the line!

Whatever you decide is fine, and I totally understand; this will, of course, not be the last challenge ever presented in this thread. ;)

Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I managed to write down an outline for my challenge entry yesterday, which qualifies as huge progress as I hadn't written a single word before. Now finding time to write the actual story is another matter altogether, but I decided I should think positive!

15. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Yes, definitely think positive! Hope the progress will continue to pick up—a journey of a thousand miles begins, etc. :)

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since Jedi_Perigrine wanted to hear about Munto Codru's wild wizards; here is my post about them.

My fanon regarding Munto Codru and the Codru-Ji are below the spoiler, I quote it here since I thought my image of the planet and it's people could help in explaining some of stuff I mention in the main post
    MUNTO CODRU’s WILD WIZARDS

The main part of Munto Codru’s civilization are focused around the grand castles and clan keeps and the cultivated land around them, between those areas exist large parts of uncontrolled wilderness were nature with all its wild beast have been allowed to roam free. In those areas live the wild wizards.

The usual wild wizard (who can be of either gender and both are called wizards) lives in a cottage, either alone or as part of a small village, together with his apprentice, family and/or servant (can be the same person/s) but roams a much larger area, because each wizard have a territory, a caern, which the wizard fully know every nook and cranny and recognize every animal by sight and sound. The caern is seldom larger than one days travel by foot from the center to every side and is seldom left for any longer time by the wizard once he has established it. The reason for this is inside the caern so is the wizard power greatly enhanced thanks to his uttermost knowledge of everything inside it.

There exist wild wizards who don’t have a caern, usually apprentices who have not been able to inherit their masters caern for one reason or another – the master is still much alive and well; there was more than one apprentice and the other one got the caern; the apprentice and master split as enemies; etcetera. Those travelling wild wizards are known as 'wizards of the road', 'wind followers' and 'caern seekers', among other titles. Most wizards of the road settle down after some years and create their own caern or take over one who have been left empty but a small number never stop traveling and even take apprentices to teach on their unending journey.

Force philosophy
    The wild wizards don’t see anything mystical (at least not as most core worlders understand that word) with what they do; to them their ability to manipulate nature is just a logical conclusion of their great understanding of nature and their surroundings.

Appearance and equipment
    The wild wizards don’t have any uniformed look but their lifestyle do that nearly every one of them is dressed in well-worn and practical outdoor clothes, seldom looking any different from other Codru-Ji of outdoor occupation.

The movies and plays on Munto Codru usually give wizards a long flowing cape and a brood brimmed felt hat with round top and usually with some fetters sticking out of the hatband. Many wild wizards have at least one such hat, both because it is actually rather useful and too identify them as wizards when they need to make an impression.

A wild wizard usually carry around a doctors/veterinary bag (don’t really matter which since they will use what is in for both animals and people) filled with a combination off modern medicine, natural remedies and sturdy medical equipment.

A sturdy quarterstaff, often with a calabash and some other item hanging from the top is not unusual to see – both in real life and in the stories.

The wizards of the road have a similar appearance to their accommodated counterparts but are usually seen on the back of a mount or piloting a wagon and are followed by a pack animal or two and some sturdy guard beasts. They are also often armed with some range weapon, usually a slugthrower carbine or rifle.

Most wild wizards have in their home at least a small laboratory, sometime just their kitchen, for preparations and making of medicines and drugs. The wizards of the road usually also have a small, portable one, often their kitchen equipment, even if some of them – usually the one who travel with a wagon – have a, relatively, larger one with them.

Skills, technique and abilities
    Wild wizards are masters of all that nature provides and doubled so inside their caern were there is no plant that they don’t know how to use, no animal they cannot catch or command.

Much of the wild wizard’s power actually comes from his great mastery of his caern, inside it all the animals are his friends and easily answer his commands and he know all the shortcuts and hiding places making it possibly to seemingly teleport. Most wizards are also able to feel people coming and going inside their caern.

All wizards are also able to sense how the weather is changing and going to be and even manipulate it slightly, a skill some wizards fully master.

Since so much of a wild wizard’s power comes from their caern so are the wizards of the road notable weaker, they try to compensate this by always traveling with a bunch of loyal animal companions and caring a trusty blaster/slugthrower. There is also among the wizards of the road that you find the most, and best, weather manipulators.

The wild wizards also have a great knowledge in how to create medicines and other useful applications of what they can find in their caern. This they later sell or put to personal use, many of them are trained healers and some even have the academic papers to show it. Unless an advanced surgery is needed so is there little that the wizards cannot heal.

* Common skills/techniques: Alchemy; animal friendship; aura of awe; aura of unimportance; bind item; command animal; enhanced senses; danger sense; detoxify poison; familiar; farseeing; healing care; healing meditation; instinctive diagnose; transfix animal; weather sense; weather manipulation; “blessed harvest”; [more to come, I am open for suggestions]

Tools and Style
    The wild wizards are not a tradition that employ chanting, flamboyant gestures or elaborated rituals; their way is to know nature and trough that make nature help them: mist rises when a wizard want to hide, animals become calm and threat him as a friend, no frost bites the crop that a wizard farms, etc.

That is not to say that a wild wizard don’t us tools to help him in his trade: the walking staff and the hat many of them use often become Force artefact, sometime even permanent once, and for farseeing they usually use a pocket holo’ programmed with intricate, slowly shifting patterns to help them meditate. There are some wizards who can mend flesh and knit bones with their touch but most of them relay on a well filled medicine bag and what nature can provide – also those who can visibly heal with their hands are often looked upon with suspicion since it is seen as a sign that they are going out of balance since they are imposing their will on nature instead of just bending it.

Variations
    There is no set path for a wild wizard gone bad but there is some returning archetypes that they have a tendency to fall back to: Controller; Curse maker; Life enhancer and City breaker.

The controller is a wizard who have become obsessed with micromanaging his caern, nothing is allowed to happen without the wizards permission – animals and people are only allowed to bread with the partner the wizard have approved, the vegetation are pruned and controlled like the caern was a garden, etc. – and when they get a predictions, many controllers slavishly follow the predictions. If things are not going as the wizard have decided/predicted so do they have a tendency to violently lash out and/or punish the “mandalorian”[1] in some way. Many of them also have a great dislike for outsiders since they have a tendency to create imbalance in “order” that he controller have created.
    [1] Here mandalorian is used the same way we use vandal.

Since many normal wizard have an “I know best” tendency and often advice the people and animals within their cearn so are wizard who have become controllers rather hard to spot, at least until something don’t follow the controllers plan.

Curse makers are wizards who use their knowledge and power for their own gain without care of others, making poisons and cursers for their own user or for payment.

Life enhancer are wizards who has fallen to the hubris belief that they know better then nature and can create better life forms. To this end they master bioalchemy and fleshshaping and create ultraviolet-nexus[2] so they can easily modify plants and animals into “better” shapes. Those “enhanced” life forms are called abominations by the codru-ji and are hunted down and destroyed together with their creators wherever they appear.
    [2] Places were life force is unnaturally strong, making bioalchemy and fleshshaping so much easier. The big problem with ultravital nexus, outside of all the evil the life enhancer create in them, is that they are danger for the nature under them since they are boiling with uncontrolled lifeforce. Plants and animals near them can be affected and change in size, appearance, organ function and temperament, etc. – those changes, called distortions, are random and uncontrolled. Thankfully ultravital nexus are unstable and disappear after a time and most of the plants and animals that has been distorted die, since they have become dependent on the high level of life force. The real problem are when a ultravital nexus stay put for some time and a green zone is created: in there flora and fauna has undergone many unpredictable changes; in there the normal rules for nature no longer apply.

* Beside the powers normal wild wizards know the life enhancers usually also know: bioalchemy; create ultraviolet-nexus; flesh shaping; twist limb;

City breakers are wizards who have come to the conclusion that civilization is an affront to nature and need to be destroyed. To this end they manipulate weather, animals, plants and what else they can get their hands on to destroy the castles, clan keeps, towns and other places of civilization.

Outsider’s perspective
    Outside of Munto Codru so are the wild wizards mostly unheard of since so few visit Munto Codru and most wild wizards find it psychological discussing to even think of leave their homeworld.

The Jedi know of Munto Codru’s Wild Wizards, have studied them and their understanding of the Force (nothing new even if their high use and mastery of the caern was a bit unusual) and left their business card if the wizard’s would need to call for help. That has only happened once since then, when the wizards needed the jedi’s help to take down one of them, Gu-Arm the Warlock, who had grown too powerful in his evil.

Inspiration & other uses
    Gandalf the Grey & Radagast the Brown (Lord of the Ring); the witches of Dickworld; Crocodile Dundee (Crocodile Dundee); Amber & Jade wizards (Warhammer); Huu of the Foggy Swamp (Avatar: the Last Airbender); Garrett (the Quest for Camelot);

As presented here so can the wild wizard without any problem easily be transplanted into other planets/societies as long as they have huge tracks of land were civilization is marginally represented.

On Munto Codru so can a wizard easily be an allied to a group of heroes or an hinder if he think they are dealing in things that they don’t belong to and a fallen wizard can be an frightening enemy on his home turf (and you know he is not going to leave it).

In the NR-era so can Luke’s order be interested in finding out about the wild wizards powers and philosophy and may even want to recruit one to the order. On the other hand so can the codru-ji be having trouble with an unusually powerful fallen wizard and ask the jedi for healp.

-------------------

Any questions, comments or suggestions?

Will edit in some links later.
    Anybody else going to post this month?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Ewok Poet, Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Just based on the first few lines, this is very very good.

Edit: ...and normal service resumes. 207 words added before I got distracted by something shiny.

Edit: I can feel the quality dropping off as I stutter to the deadline. 268 words struggled out.

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What people would like to see from me next month's fanon?

* Green Kensei and Green Kensei space?
    * Different blasters/blaster tech?
    * Near-arkanian species?
    * The Proud (a UR species)?
    * Lost Force traditions?
    * Threats in the Unknown regions?
    * Fashion styles/subcultures?
    * 'Slugthrowers and Sorcery' a literary genre?

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Gamiel - taken one of your fanon creations for my challenge fic. Cyber-enhanced doggie thing, Breemal?

Different blasters, blaster tech.

Gamiel likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Breetmal. I guess the plural would be breetmals. It don't need to be doggies, can be any animal with combat oriented cybernetic implants. Thanks for using it :)

21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Lost Force traditions, please!

And eeek, eleven days left and I'm still at less than 600 words.

Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  22. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Findswoman likes this.
  23. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Thanks so much, Pandora. I've added it to the index.

And just reminding everyone, again, that there are just a few more days left before the due date of the 9th, at which point voting will begin!

24. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    So... seeing as only two entries have come in for the challenge so far (one of which doesn't really count because it's mine, i.e., Findswoman 's), I wonder how folks would feel about an extension of the story deadline through next Sunday, Oct. 16? [face_batting]

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, I'm making good use of the extension. Finishing mine looks doable. A stinking pile of poodoo (though I'll probably like it), but doable.

Poodooable?

Findswoman likes this.