main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    For the greater good of the history being told in TLJ, Rian is the option I bet all my 2 cents

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Axrendale likes this.
  3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
  4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    To be fair, it's not little. It's called A Dance with Dragons and is around 1000 pages. :p

Diego Lucas likes this.
  5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    If for some reason Johnson ends up not directing Episode IX, I imagine he'd still assist with writing the film in some capacity, especially if production is still set for January.

6. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Aw man, John Carter was a HEARTBREAKING example of a severely poor marketing plan for a film. Nowhere in the marketing did they touch on the fact that those stories essentially CREATED our current Sci-Fi waters (books, comics, TV, film) over 100 years ago. So you have people seeing the trailer and thinking "So what? We've seen a million movies like this."....instead of being told "No, this was one of the originals...this is WHY you've seen a million movies like this."

And yeah, it never fully succeeded as what he wanted it to be as a final film. I feel like in certain instances he was not ambitious enough with it...and in some cases WAY too ambitious.

7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Today this is called investigative journalism.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't know what is typical for him.

Also I don't really see how the above description apply. TFA was nominally the above in some ways but really it was a hybrid of the PT and OT forms. Far "darker" in that sense than ANH or TPM. I don't know what odder for Star Wars means because ""odd for Star Wars" is what Lucas did each and every time out. So being odd is the norm. TFA was decidedly not odd for Star Wars. It was all about being a reminder of what it was.

I don't see how ROTJ was a "romp" as such anymore more or less than the other movies. They are adventure movies after all

That does make a lot of sense. The vision was aligned and everything was good then with the change of circumstances the whole thing had to be reworked. If we assume without Leia then how do you work around that in a way that makes sense?

9. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    If Johnson comes on board I hope he'll argue that Leia should not be excluded. She's a fictional character who can be played by multiple actors. Just as characters like Anakin & Obi-Wan have been.

10. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    For all my joking in this thread aside. I felt the same way you did in this post.

That's why I'm totally clueless on who they'll pick now.

jaqen likes this.
  11. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Interesting. Yeah I'm not sure either.

12. Rogue Seven

Sep 6, 2017
    I agree. I hope we've had enough time to mourn the fantastic actress who originated her and gave her life...to see the character played by someone else with the reverence she deserves. ESPECIALLY if part of her EpIX storyline was a Kylo/Ben redemption.

Qui-Riv-Brid and Darth Downunder like this.
  13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    We don't know of course but that should have always been the case. Simply dropping the character makes no story sense. As I've said the part does not have to be exactly what was written for CF. You could adjust it from being the apparent prime part that it was and cut it down to what is essential for the story then partition out the non-essential to others.

Just imagine if you had to drop Leia out of ROTJ. That would be difficult enough and she wasn't even a character in the core storyline.

I don't see how taking Leia out (if that was the intention) does anything but weaken the movie and the entire trilogy.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

No I don't see TFA as a hybrid OT/PT film at all. Quite the opposite.

As for RJ I'll let someone actually infolved in the making of these films, Kasdan, speak on that:

These movies will all be so different. [“Episode VIII” director] Rian Johnson is a friend of mine — he’s going to make some weird thing. If you’ve seen Rian’s work, you know it’s not going be like anything that’s ever been in “Star Wars.” You couldn’t have three more different people than J.J., Rian and [“Episode IX” director] Colin [Trevorrow]. Those movies will have the “Star Wars” saga as their basis, but everything else will be different.

If you don't know what I meant by "romp" in reference specifically to the tone and approach of ROTJ, there's not really any way for me to expound upon that.

15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Absolutely. She's a central character in this Saga. She should complete her story arc.

La Calavera and Rogue Seven like this.
  16. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Well. We seem to have no problems with cutting out Han in VIII and IX.... so ... for me personally, I just wouldn't be engaged with any of the big three being recast so I'd prob just drop out of the new films/stories at that stage. Just curious to know how people got the impression that Carrie would've loved her character to be replaced by someone else ... what it from an interview?
    And back to director speculatin' .. (and Colin ..)

MattOrgana, Axrendale and jaqen like this.
  17. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Dude, calm down. Absolutely nobody here agrees with you that Cuaron is a bad director. It's almost as if you have a personal problem with the man. I mean, "inept" and "idiotic" to describe the films of one of the most critically-celebrated modern directors, who also resonates with general audiences?

This is all subjective, of course, but you're just wrong. ;)

18. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I will always be a fan of giving Brad Bird a shot at SW. (I'm a HUGE "Iron Giant" fan).

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  19. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002

Rian tweeted a few months ago that he doesn't think Leia should be recast.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/869026117159604225

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My top choices now:

Patty Jenkins
    Ryan Coogler
    Steven Spielberg

Rian Johnson moves to the top if TLJ is good.

Filoni could be an interesting choice but I think he is primarily an animator and should stick to the cartoons.

On Tarantino...I was going to make a comment about how we'd see a beat-up Chevy in a Star Wars film but we do have the Falcon.

21. Rogue Seven

Sep 6, 2017
    I think because she was a professional actor, with a penchant for loving the characters she embodied when she played them. I would imagine if you spoke with her from beyond the grave, she'd feel Leia should go on. I don't imagine she was a selfish actor who felt her character should die because she did. She didn't seem like that kind of person at all.

I mean, how many people have played Shakespeare characters over the centuries?

22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Replacing Carrie 2/3 into a Star Wars trilogy won't work. The backlash could be enormous, and Carrie was extremely unique in her presences and approach, making it even more difficult to recast this character; there's nothing generic about her Leia.

Imagine the backlash if we were discussing a recast for old Luke. It would be unheard of.

It doesn't even seem to be an option on the table if they were literally rewriting IX to accommodate her loss. Nobody at Lucasfilm seems interested in a Carrie-less older Leia.

23. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Strong choices there AF. Not sure who I would want if Rian isn't tabbed to direct 9. I'd love to see what Ava Duvernay could do, but she might still be busy with A Wrinkle In Time.

24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Nope, not interested in a Leia recast. Just write her character out in a respectful way. Also it's a different situation when compared to Anakin & Obi Wan.

25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Fair enough. I guess we should wait & see how TLJ ends. Maybe there's a satisfying & seemingly natural way they can conclude her story. If not, a lot of people will be critical of this decision.

Rogue Seven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.