main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    anyone else bummed they didn't bring back Hayden Christensen?

I was expecting it. I can understand why they didn't use Ewan since Luke didn't have a relationship with that iteration of the character, although the argument was made that it would have given Luke the idea to use "Force Just for Men."

I think Kylo closing the book on Vader precludes further involvement from Anakin though. They kind of concluded that storyline here I think.

Edit: Dark siders can't become force ghosts, for one.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Not contesting what you said or anything, but has that been confirmed in the new canon? (only asking since after this film, it seems the movie directors are willing to throw a wrench into what has been believed/assumed)

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    All five Jedi Ghosts, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin and Luke will appear to Rey as the heroes celebrate to Yub Nub at the end of Episode VI IX, I meant IX.

4. What Are The Odds

What Are The Odds Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2016
    They could, but it was more like a punishment or maybe it was just their dark experiments with the dark side, that gave them a twisted version of what Jedi experience as becoming one with the force. There were at least two cases in KoTOR, I believe. But they didn't have the same power and freedom of movement, that the light side force ghosts had.

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Who knows? But they're "more powerful than you can possibly imagine" and Yoda's ghost controls the weather, so...

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, TCW is part of that, and S6E13 "Sacrifice" essentially states that the Sith don't believe in an afterlife. GL was pretty clear on it.

Personally, I like the ambiguity associated with them.

Dawud786 likes this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ahhh ok that's where that's from. Yeah I'd guess with folks like Abrams and Johnson manning the helm, it could be invalidated sometime. I do like the ambiguity too though. Force ghosts are like salt... essential to SW but best in low doses...

8. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I can't remember where exactly in Sacrifice that was said. Any exact quote?

9. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I was pretty bummed that Luke didn't commune with Anakin in the film. Seems like a huge missed opportunity. We live in a world where the actors playing Anakin and Luke both are alive and well and we could potentially have a scene 40 years after the OT with Luke and Anakin talking in a way they never got a chance to. How could anyone not want to see that?

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    ILM should just "blue ghost" this photo and insert it into the movie--Kylo's uncle and grandfather reaching out with their hands to get him. Poor Kylo will just surrender in terror. :p

[​IMG]

11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm fine with it. Mean I can still pretend Rey is Anakin reborn and I'm watching Avatar: The Last Jedi.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Are we still tagging spoilers

13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    No idea, I just followed DDroid's lead.

14. What Are The Odds

Jul 31, 2016
    Oh come on, people
    you know that fuel affair with the resistance cruiser is a massive plot hole
    and no need to insult me over this with "did you even watch the movie" kind of retorts. It was never, never a problem in other SW stories. Unless hyperdrives had been damaged or the fuel source itself. And don't give me that "it is A thing now because it is in THIS movie". What nonsense...

I just finished watching Battlefield 2 Resurrection gameplay on youtube (quite short actually, its end is closely tied to the beginning of TLJ), and at the end of the game protagonists make 2 consecutive jumps with a TIE-fighter rigged for hyperjumps.

ImpKnight and AusStig like this.
  15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    When Yoda is facing the illusion of Darth Bane on Moraband.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    wait we were talking about fuel

17. What Are The Odds

Jul 31, 2016
    Some time ago, yes.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    oh it seemed like a huge non sequitur

19. What Are The Odds

Jul 31, 2016
    You're speaking dead language, son, do you know it?

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

How's it a plot hole? We weren't informed when the last time the Raddus refueled was. Didn't exactly look like D'Qar was sporting a fuel depot to me.

21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I...

...this is a weird idea? That a thing that wasn't a problem before could never be a problem? Did we not think the ships used fuel because it was never mentioned? The hyperdrive failing in ESB would still be justifiable if it didn't break in the previous film.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Si?

In response to your initial message, I would venture a guess that TIE fighters would require a lot less fuel to propel through hyperspace than a cruiser, and that the gas tanks on the cruiser might not have been full, especially since the evacuation was interrupted.

Edit:
    [​IMG]

These seem to have been around for a while.

BobaMatt and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's those weapon manufacturers on Canto Bight. They made all hyperdrives require fuel now so they can sell more fuel. :p The B-list story is the real A-list story. ;)

I bet those same weapon manufacturers are the reason I needed engine propulsion to maintain a contant velocity in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games even though it goes against real world physics. :p

24. What Are The Odds

Jul 31, 2016
    Gas tanks, eh? On bloody cruisers? What is this? 10 000 BBY? How about ****ing reactors!

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

Star Wars ships have gassed up at docking bays since 1995, if not earlier.

BobaMatt likes this.