main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think she already told it. I know I laughed.:)

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Also I do not think there will have been enough time for Rey to do much with the Jedi

3. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    This is why I am not convinced she will be devoted to the Resistance. With Kylo, she saw the extreme when a Force user is regarded as just a tool to be hefted and how agency is surrendered in the process. She may not want to find herself in that slippery slope.

4. IoJovi

IoJovi Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2016
    I am laughing too... :D

Seriously though I gotta wonder how much further they’ll go in IX with that. My imagination is running wild...

Speaking of which, one my favorite moments is the first ForceSkype session where he’s being a typical guy in trying to figure out the technical details of how the connection works, as he ignores the fact that Rey is screaming at him...

5. laugh-it-up-fuzzball

laugh-it-up-fuzzball Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2016
    I have a headcanon where about halfway through IX, both Rey and Kylo will figure out that their chosen "sides" are wrong and split to truly work to build something new.

Possible wildcards to this scenario would be Hux's expected coup/coup attempt, and/or what happens if/when FO and/or Resistance leadership find out about the Force bond.

6. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I love his little boy slide. The first Force Bond/Skype started with them on children's level and then we get to see progression through adolescence. Metaphorically, of course. @IoJovi

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  7. IoJovi

Feb 8, 2016
    I absolutely adore how his number one goal to be the biggest bad that ever did bad, and yet as soon as the Force bond presents itself, he’s like a four year old in socks sliding across the floor.

And his facial expression when he tells Rey she’ll bring Skywalker to him - he fails and gets this rather embarrassed look on his face, with this sideways thing he does with his mouth. The dude could not play poker to save his life. No wonder he wore a mask. He’s essentially screwed without it.. :D

milena, Valency Jane, xyloren and 4 others like this.
  8. MeadowofAshes

MeadowofAshes Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2016
    Which is an awful lot like this... [​IMG]
    Having been both the Han and the Ben in those types of situations, I can empathize with them! :p

I love that there's an aspect of Kylo that's played as totally clueless and teenager-esque. It'll be very interesting to see how he grows from manchild to man in IX, and how that affects Rey, and vice versa.

MyOnlyHope and IoJovi like this.
  9. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Such an amazing characterization and so unexpected for the type of character. I hope someone asks Rian whose idea sliding-in-socks was! @IoJovi

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Especially because he is almost 30

11. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    I have a question about the Force Bond.

First Force Bond - Rey shoots Kylo and he either feels something or thinks he feels (cause he saw her shoot) but that doesn't hurt him/kill him. So the blast didn't cross so to speak.

Second Force Bond - water crosses from her side to his

Fourth Force Bond - they can touch hands and light of fire in her room reflects on his face

Fifth Force Bond - he flinches when she closes the door hinting at that he could see her surroundings unlike the First Force Bond ("just you")

So what does it mean? Is the Bond growing?

12. Little_Flipflops

Little_Flipflops Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2017
    That slide across the floor moment was too cute [:D]

13. MeadowofAshes

MeadowofAshes Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2016
    @vaderito Yeah, I'm wondering if the bond grows as Kylo and Rey rise in the dark and light, respectively. Or if it just gets stronger as time passes or as they become more invested in each other or what.

14. Little_Flipflops

Dec 26, 2017
    Well I think both of them could be making it grow stronger themselves! Reaching to touch skin is breaking the barrier!

milena, MeadowofAshes and IoJovi like this.
  15. Obi-Wan Solo-Skywalker

Obi-Wan Solo-Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    I think the Young Solo has a lot of his father in him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Han was years older than Ben is now when he was doing these "childish things" in the OT)

16. Little_Flipflops

Dec 26, 2017
    ^^^
    A scoundrel just like dad!

Tabbie, milena, oncafar and 5 others like this.
  17. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Where is Pablo when we need him? or Matt? :D

But yes, there's definitely some progression going on, as they could do more with each session. Will be interesting to see how it continues in IX.

@Obi-Wan Solo-Skywalker Snoke is right! He has too much of his father's slide, er, heart. [face_love]:_|

18. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Honestly, as funny as it was, it was the one time in the film where the fourth wall and I saw Adam Driver and not Kylo Ren.

19. xyloren

xyloren Jedi Master star 2

Feb 19, 2016
    The slide was adorable, typical boy sees girl and trips over himself type thing in rom coms. It was a great way to humanize Kylo, which is something Adam said we'd see in TLJ.

20. IoJovi

Feb 8, 2016
    I had forgotten that Ben had mentioned he couldn’t see Rey’s surroundings (only you), because I previously mentioned he didn’t acknowledge Luke when he barged into the hut with his Force shotgun. Still, you’d think Luke making his presence known in that way would be acknowledged, but until the connection is broken with the explosion, he never takes his focus off of her.

21. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Although in an earlier Skype session, he notices Luke before Rey does. (Though Luke at that point is still cut off, so he can’t see Kylo.)

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t see Han Solo’s behavior as comparable to Kylo’s at all. Han didn’t whine or overdramatize once.

Comparisons to Anakin in some scenes in AOTC, sure, but not Han.

23. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    No one is saying their behavior is the same, but there are undeniable comparisons being made that seem to imply Ben Solo was more like his father than not. In Ep. 7, Kylo told Han that Ben was weak and foolish, like his father. In Ep.8, Snoke refers to Kylo as young Solo and says he has too much of his father’s heart. These things are said to get under Kylo’s skin and to be hurtful, but they would not be hurtful if there was no truth in them.

The floor slide comparison was just a cute/funny comparison because we have an example of his father doing the exact same thing.

24. IoJovi

Feb 8, 2016
    Han shooting first, Han shooting the comm (boring conversation anyways), the trademark smirk, the way he loses all focus when in the presence of a woman, need I go on.... :D

It’s also not hard to see where Ben gets his sarcasm from.

He’s definitely a Solo kid through and through.

Tabbie, Mana, milena and 7 others like this.
  25. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I've thought since TFA that Kylo is much like both his parents. Reckless like Han. Devoted to a cause like Leia. Snarky like both of them. Physically courageous like both of them. They aren't afraid to risk life and limb.

In TLJ we find out Kylo is a great pilot also, which definitely runs in both sides of his family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.