main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    While that may seem hopeful, I'd like to temind that it doesn't automatically translate to the unnamed future democratic candidate winning that state.

Ghost likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, to build on this (and bearing in mind I am agreeing with Vivs on this) -- take Wisconsin in 2016.

Hillary lost (which we knew), but Russ Feingold lost worse. The actual Democratic Bernie Sanders-equivalent running to retake his seat. Supremely progressive, all about banking reform, etc. And he was campaigning in state the whole time, with Sanders and Warren dropping in, and he did worse than Hillary.

I'd like to believe that wouldn't have happened today (especially with Walker gone), but Sean's point is not one to be overlooked.

Lordban and Darth Nerdling like this.
  3. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think most of us here are out of touch with just how out of touch with politics most Americans are. Most people don't know who Elizabeth Warren is apart from her nickname, and even fewer know of Kamala Harris. I like them both, but even before the negative campaigning has kicked in, Warren only leads Trump by 3 points and Harris trails Trump by 3.

Biden and Sanders are the only ones with enough name recognition, and they both lead Trump by 12 points, and they've maintained that lead for the last 2 years. I think they'd also do well in the Rust Belt, and Biden's personality would be a great contrast to Trump's in the debates. While I probably prefer both Harris and Sanders, I think either Biden or Sanders are the best match-up against Trump. Biden paired with Harris or Beto might make for the most winning ticket that I can think of.

Unless there's a recession or something else big goes down, I'm going with this as my 2020 presidential election prediction:

[​IMG]

Florida will be a toss-up until the end of time. Wisconsin is the next closest to a toss-up state. If WI and FL went red, then it would end up 269 - 269, and the House would decide it as the US plunges into civil war!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Pensivia, Vaderize03 and bluealien1 like this.
  4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Name recognition is not an issue. How well known were Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders at the very start of their campaigns?

I can easily see “Kamala” being cheered as loudly as “Obama” is over time. And she has time still.

Biden too for that matter wasn’t known by many until he became VP despite is role in the Senate and Anita Hill hearings. So I wouldn’t count Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren out just on that alone. That comes as the campaigning begins

unicorn likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, I don't see the large -- largely religious -- Southern African American voting bloc (especially women) at this point in life voting for anyone suspect in the primaries... that counts out Biden and probably Sanders (who shot his **** off again this week trying to pretzel for WWC voters), who would lose so much momentum (like Sanders did this last time in 2016) that it may be unrecoverable. I'm not sure Warren would fare as badly, but I'm not ruling it out...

Jedi Merkurian and unicorn like this.
  6. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Im worried that if Sanders gets on a 2020 ticket, his own or as a VP pick, Trump’s base is going to anti-semitic real quick and nationwide. And I like his medicare for all views but im actually hesitant due to potential backlash countrywide.

Feels bad and sad that i even had this thought.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    • Do you believe voter fraud is a problem in the US?
      • 51%
        Yes

• 44%
        No

• 5%
        I don’t know
      Total responses: 41,670 votes
    This is where we are now. This was the poll on the msn.com home page...

8. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    I believe it is a problem now because Trump has made it one. The only fraud I have seen has been on his side because these idiots think they are fighting back- like the Trump supporter who voted for her dead husband because she thinks that's what he would want.

ACTUAL voter fraud continues to be extremely rare and is not a problem. Once again however, Trump and his bad of sycophants have made it a problem.

9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    To be honest anti-semistism is one of those things that, when it occurs, might actually cause the 'swing voters' to actually sit up and listen. It's unfortunate that they don't do it for all forms of prejudice, and that they can't see how Trump is already dog-whistling to anti-semites, but if Trump's media support starts shifting to full on anti-semitism I think it'll immediately sink his chances with anyone beyond his 30% 'base'. By putting up a Jewish candidate you essential dare them to go full on Nazi, and when they do, hopefully it'll tip the balance enough.

I don't think America should cower away from having a minority candidate just because the most radical of his supporters may turn against that minority. You can't be held hostage by them.

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    And so what? It sounds great, doesn't it?

SuperWatto and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I will believe voter fraud to be an issue when we have anything resembling high turnout. 47% of eligible voters voted in the most recent election.

To me, the bigger issue is getting non-voters to vote - figuring out how to take down barriers, remove confusion, stop the blatant attempts at voter suppression etc - and once we do that, maybe - maybe - we can address voter fraud.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol, he's running. He's taken a different tack than his peers in committee assignments, but they're likely no accident...

Ghost likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He's the one 2020 likely candidate that I just can't stand.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Democrats will want to ensure they avoid the mistakes their peers made in their support for Brexit.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    The Commander-in-Chief dishonored our fallen soldiers as well as those of our Allies at the 100th Anniversary of Armistice.

Should we because surprised by a Narcissistic Plutarch demogague who must should be told after his trial,

It’s treason, then.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    For me, Booker fits the “anyone is better than Trump” statement and that’s it. I will not vote for him in a primary. But if he is the candidate, I will happily take the lesser of two evils.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Ghost, Lordban and bluealien1 like this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Same. I'd maybe vote for him over Sanders, but I'd have to think about it.

It's like (for now)...

Harris
    Duckworth
    Buttigieg
    Julian Castro
    Beto
    Gillibrand
    Bloomberg (ugh)
    Warren
    Biden
    Sanders
    Booker
    [​IMG]

... Cuomo

Master_Rebado and SuperWatto like this.
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Who the **** is Butt-gig?

SuperWatto likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Mayor Pete, of South Bend Indiana. He ran for DNC Chair against Ellison and Perez.

Young, veteran, openly gay, gun bonafides and pro-gun control, pro-abortion... all good things.

Ghost likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Sure, I'll support a veteran for office.

[​IMG]

22. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Booker is the one candidate that I would prefer not to see run on the male side. Why? Because he will invite endless comparisons to Barack Obama, which the media will use as a proxy to relitigate the Correspondent's Dinner speech where Obama roasted Trump and many feel drove him to run for President. Also (and I know this is unfair), there's something that feels inauthentic about him. Maybe I'm just concerned that he's already been defined in many minds, and the media will help sharpen that narrative.

It's the same reason I'm wary of a Warren run. Even if she hadn't stepped into Trump's trap with the whole "23 and Me" debacle, she will invite endless comparisons to Hillary Clinton, right down to the short haircut and glasses, along with right-wing cracks that her voice is too "shrill." I don't see either of them doing well in the Midwest, which is still the Democrat's best path back to the White House in 2 years. Yes, the Sun Belt is slowly turning, but it's not enough to cover the fact that Florida and Ohio are becoming more solidly red.

I guess I'm just anxious about providing Trump with an opening to define his opponent early. This is pure "gut" on my part, but I feel as if the above two choices would be easiest for him to do so (and in Warren's case, he's already done it). My top choice would probably be Harris, with maybe Beto along as VP for positive messaging. I also like Amy Klobuchar and Sherrod Brown (although I think he would end up occupying the same lane as Biden if he decided to run).

And speaking of Biden, I still like him, but only if he a) picks a Harris or Klobuchar as his running mate and b) pledges to only serve one term, almost like a 'caretaker' President. While I think he's in many ways the antidote to Trump, I also can't help shake the feeling that his time has passed. Same goes for Bernie, who's problems with African-American voters in the South don't seem to have gone away.

Or maybe I'm just totally full of **** and I don't know what I'm talking about. Either way, it's time for lunch. Cheers!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I dont know if Duckworth is running or if she could win, but she seems to scare D2S.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ladbrokes (UK betting/gambling firm) has released their odds for the nominations. Of zero importance, but brings some fun to the wasteland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Too bad this country is full of idiots, a Harris/Warren ticket would be excellent.

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.