main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT RYL: OOM-9s Thread of Battle Droid Greatness - PT Social Thread (RYL Movie Night - Fri 7/26, 9 PM)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Jan 2, 2019.

?

July Movie Night - Friday, 7/26 at 9:00 PM - PICK 2 (all on netflix/can use free trial)

Poll closed Jul 15, 2019.
  1. Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

48.1%
  2. Scarface

14.8%
  3. Avengers: Infinity War

51.9%
  4. The Fifth Element

25.9%
  5. Ex Machina

22.2%
  6. Pick this if you want Heels to add the years to the movies like he's SUPPOSED TO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Could not be less interested. No connection to a larger story, and it tells a story that not only doesn't need to be told, it shouldn't be told. This seems like WB attempting to cash in on a character because it's popular.
    Biggest understatement of the century. Their current plan amounts to throwing darts at a dartboard.
    That was good enough for me during The Dark Knight era, but after what Marvel has done...I'm sorry, but DC should be shooting for nothing less than outdoing the MCU. WB's cowardice is extremely disappointing, because the stories and characters are all there to create an even more compelling universe than the MCU.

I could never have imagined 2 years ago that I'd be skipping 2019's 2 DC movies in theaters (I'll see Shazam at some point, just not going to make going to the theater for it a priority), yet because of WB's mismanagement here we are.

Sorry, I'm bummed.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Back from Zumba, my sisters did enjoy it, even if they're even less coordinated than I am ;)

Added an extra level of humour than usual, I'm good enough with some of the dances now that I don't even have to watch the teacher, allowing me to see how badly my sisters do :p

Zumba always ends up less effective as a time for coming up with Story ideas though, I did come up with a vague concept regarding a school play, but it needs refining before I start writing in full.

@CIS Droid, how's your illness been doing, hope you're feeling well :) Just wondering how long you reckon you'll be reading the chapters? (though don't feel like I'm imposing anything, I can have a lax schedule for the last chapter) :p

Think I'll fit in some more sketching tonight, that'll be fun.

4. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    I went for a walk today, and havent slept half the day away, so i would say I'm doing somewhat better. The moment i dont feel depraved of energy i will read your fic.

And dont worry about it, you can ask me as many times as you want :).

5. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    CIS, you mentioning going on a walk makes me think of a topic I wanna ask everyone:

Do you guys have places to go for walks nearby? I myself have access to open fields and hills less than 10 minutes from my door, and countless countryside walks for miles around. I'm still discovering exciting new walks after 17 years of living in Wiltshire :)

Do you other RYLers have such a luxury (if you even like walking)? One of my sisters friends lived in Hull, and she had literally never seen open fields before last year, had never walked through a field of sheep!

6. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    Lol because of Captain Marvel last month, commercials for Shazam literally say "the best superhero film since last month"

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    DC should, in no way, measure themselves against Marvel. That's what Mr. Snyder did, and largely why he failed. Marvel is 10 years and 20+ films into a comprehensive effort that has yielded mostly mediocre stories with bulletproof box office figures and reliable critical acclaim. Prior to Aquaman/Shazam, DC has been unable to string together consecutive releases without one being either a critical or box office disaster.

They have to build a foundation and a trust back with audiences before doing anything larger. You may not like their decision to remove Mr. Snyder, but that certainly doesn't qualify them as suddenly "mismanaged" or "cowardly." It just means that you disagree.

8. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    I usually go for walks in my surrounding area, sometimes i decide to walk a little longer. There are some football fields and similar large open areas, but its mostly walking next to houses, roads and trees.

I like walking, as long as i can listen to music while doing it.

9. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I mean, technically my favourite superhero is DC (thanks Watchmen ;)), so DCU for the win?
    [​IMG]

10. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Ooh yeah, if I'm with my family I don't take my MP3 player, but any other time I have to be out alone I have to be listening to music, makes it so much more bearable :)

11. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Do trails count? About 20 yards outside of my front door is a trail that runs from Pittsburgh to Washington DC (the main portion out of Pittsburgh is the Great Allegheny Passage, the CO Canal Towpath runs from Cumberland, MD to DC). It's mainly intended for biking but I do the majority of my runs Monday thru Friday on it after work. It's pretty scenic.

12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I don't think the problem is them trying to do what Marvel did....they should have tried that and they should have succeeded. The problem was they tried to do it all in 2 or 3 movies (I mean, they killed Superman in his second appearance) instead of taking their time like Marvel did. They mismanaged it from the start and it does feel to me now like they don't know what they are doing. If they are going to keep throwing out random movies like the Joker while also having connected movies like Aquaman and Wonder Woman (and maybe Shazam?) it's going to turn people off, both hardcore DC fans and casual audiences who are already asking why Leto isn't playing the Joker in this movie. With this, rebooting Suicide Squad, and seeming to have no real plan for Superman or Batman, who should be able to carry a franchise on their own, it just seems like they are grasping at straws to me.

13. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    I'm not sick, but seasonal allergies always mess with me, and I just literally sneezed so hard it gave me a nose bleed. [face_laugh]

14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I have a like by me that is 2.75 miles around with hills. I walk around and sometimes jog around.

15. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    You live near JKF?

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    @cubman987

It's an awkward time, sure, because 5+ years were spent building a universe that was not well-received. That doesn't get fixed overnight, and there will probably be more missteps.

Acknowledge the mistakes, and either burn it down completely, or try to salvage the parts that you can. Build back some trust, and then give it another shot. I don't know what they'll do, but I appreciate that they're trying another course.

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    - Zack did not try to do things the Marvel way. His universe had a beginning and an end, which makes it fundamentally different from the MCU
    - I would argue that most of the Marvel stories are much better than mediocre
    - I am calling their abandoning of the entire shared universe cowardly, moreso than the decision to move on from Zack, which although I disagree with I can understand, but even then, it's throwing your entire plan out after 1 movie was panned by the critics, when the next one in the series without exec interference (Wonder Woman)
    - I don't see how one can argue it's been mismanaged. Zack wanted individual hero movies, WB said no, we have to go right to JL. Then, they panicked and instead of delaying JL to get a good movie out, fired the director during post production. That whole scenario is almost certainly the main thing that drove Affleck to leave too. It's definitely been mismanaged on a colossal scale

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    See to me it fees like they are trying out 2 or 3 different courses and I'm not sure it's going to build back the good will you're hoping for....we will see and I hope they surprise me but it all just seems like a mess right now.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So what was everyone's favorite class when in school?

20. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Recess

21. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    That's just heels trying to cover that he's really a Disney shill.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Totally agree. :p

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    There's a lot of wreckage to clean up. Hope for the best!

[​IMG]

24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    it's a lake I like a lot. I like to lick a lolloypop when walking by the lake I like. I am lucky to like such a lake. Today is brought to you by the letter L.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    JKF, your newest avatar choice is inspiring. Is there a hidden message?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.