main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT RYL: OOM-9s Thread of Battle Droid Greatness - PT Social Thread (RYL Movie Night - Fri 7/26, 9 PM)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Jan 2, 2019.

?

July Movie Night - Friday, 7/26 at 9:00 PM - PICK 2 (all on netflix/can use free trial)

Poll closed Jul 15, 2019.
  1. Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

48.1%
  2. Scarface

14.8%
  3. Avengers: Infinity War

51.9%
  4. The Fifth Element

25.9%
  5. Ex Machina

22.2%
  6. Pick this if you want Heels to add the years to the movies like he's SUPPOSED TO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    We have more than a few. A pond nearby with a trail around it. A park within walking distance. And nearby that a waterfall. Great stuff!

Edit: if we drive, we also have some Appalachian Trail.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    regarding DC and Marvel

I long for the days when movies were made WITHOUT sequels in mind again.

I miss days when studios can make a coherent, good movie without cliffhangers and mid/post credit scenes

I miss days where you don't have to watch a whole lot of spin off **** to know what's happening to get the "full cinematic experience"

I miss the time before over-saturated superhero movies took over every summer.

I miss the times you had to wait 3-5 years for another superhero movie to whet your appetite

I just miss pre-2010 :(

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Love the cool new way you spelled social studies!

4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I, on the other hand, would never want to go back to the pre-MCU days. It's a much more satisfying and enriching form of storytelling in my view.

Jedi Knight Fett and s_heffley like this.
  5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It sounds like you miss movies the 60's and earlier with all of those prerequisites

6. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    *gets my bifocals to read what you put*

hey!!

:p

well I miss the old Superman movies, the old Batman movies (including the 60's)

so if you are saying do I prefer the simpler time where you don't have to spend $100 on theater tickets every two years on one franchise...you betta effing believe it :p

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Can see both sides. The "universe" aspect has some cool elements to it, when done right. In many ways, it leads to a formulaic approach to filmmaking - films feeling more like products, as opposed to art - which I do not prefer.

8. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    the one I'm most bothered about if truth be told is this one

imagine this. A casual viewer sat watching Infinity war, somebody says something, the whole cinema roars with laughter including the guy next to you. The guy notices you are confused and says "heh, you'd have to have watched Dr. Strange to get it and to get that you'd have needed to have watched Thor".

now this wouldn't bother me if a funny quip was the result of a direct sequel. In fact I'd expect it. There is a difference of say, Peter Venkman saying something in GB2 that references GB1, if I didn't get it, my own fault. I feel this is fundamentally different in a franchise, ESPECIALLY if it's an important plot point.

9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Sketch time! This time we have three characters, including one which is technically a double-header ;)
    [​IMG]

First we have the pairing of Qui-Gon and little Ani, as seen in a dream in Clone Wars:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Qui-Gon took a while to sketch, there were a lot of little details like little lines and the curving nature of his hair. As you can see, I didn't quite get the 'angle' of his face right, but overall decent. I'm just happy to have had a go at drawing the most impressive nose in Star Wars :p

As for Anakin, he was a bit quicker, I really like the face details (I'm amazed that I managed to get their eye-lines to match so well). I kid you not though, hardest thing I drew tonight was Anakin's hair, took ages to make it look like the exact kind of circle I needed.

I felt like that ep of Spongebob:

Next I drew the Senate:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A decent approximation, if a little stretched out compared to the original. Was pretty tricky matching his face shape, so many wrinkles and odd curves.

Darsk away!

10. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
  11. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

12. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    Think of the MCU like one big, very high budget TV show Dandy. If you jump into a random episode you’re not gonna know all of what’s going on :p

13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    That's actually kinda the thing that attracts me most to a shared universe. Being able to see all those side stories, even if they aren't all that relevant to the Infinity Stone plot, makes me feel like I'm part of that world. And it rewards people who watch the whole story.

14. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    yup, and $10+ plus an episode I'd have to say..."no thanks"

:p

@Darkslayer I call it extreme greed by big corporations, and unwilling to play :p
    plus many can't afford the prices.

15. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Uh, holdup... Whether or not Zack Snyder failed in what he attempted is a separate issue, but what he attempted had next to nothing to do with merely matching Marvel at their since established game. The MCU is specifically a showrunner franchise, one furthermore intent primarily with commercializing their individual installments/heroes as accessories to fit whatever preference within mainstream demographics; a kind of "collect them all!" type sensibility. They're like apps for your smartphone.

The only common, rudimentary characteristic is this case is that DC and Marvel both feature universes inhabited by varied superheroes, yet there is no golden rule that says each of which must be systematically introduced, or given the spotlight, with one individual live-action installment at a time, only a proven modus operandi via the MCU's streak. By comparison, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman -- and, in theory, Snyder's original Justice League -- are still far more self-contained movies for their own sake, in the traditional sense, where supplementary characters flow into a singular narrative and in service of a singular through-line: What if Gods came to Earth?

You can accessorize the Star Wars universe like Disney is doing now (analogous to Marvel), but that was never George Lucas' goal with A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Rather, he just wanted to tell a story, and continue as much with the eventual Prequels. So having Superman die in BvS for example is fine, insofar that Snyder was seizing these characters, at least to a degree, outside-and-apart from their comics continuum for the purposes of his own, more autonomous grand story. A good parallel might me Gandalf "dying" two-thirds of the way through The Fellowship of the Ring. So what, right? It's not a big because LOTR, like Lucas' Star Wars, exists as a saga, to have a beginning and an end. Granted, Warner Bros. were always set on building a DCEU that would go on, but Snyder's trilogy was still one that was to function as its own epic chapter or, in comic book terms, a "limited series".

No, you see, the problem is not what Mr. Snyder did, but what Warner/DC did at his expense; how they eventually buckled and swiped aside his auteur vision to, as you say, more directly measure up against Marvel.

16. s_heffley

Jun 7, 2015
    Just had to watch an hour long safety video :rolleyes: I shoulda been out of here by now.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    how is your first week going, heff?

18. s_heffley

Jun 7, 2015
    Alright up until now :p

Nah, it wasn’t that bad, I just wish they would have had me do this tomorrow rather than today.

19. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    My issue with it as well.

20. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    that's another thing I don't like...shared universes :p

actually strike that. Marvel can, it seems to work for them.

I don't feel it quite works for DC, I always avoided stories where Batman and Superman joined forces in my youth. And only went to see BvS and Justice League to complete my cinematic Batman experience (though I did enjoy them)

I can just about accept Robin, since he's been with the caped crusader for so long, But Batman works better by himself,

all in my humble opinion of course :p

Man I feel like a right Scrooge today :p

my next post will be upbeat, I promise :D

21. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    Yeah, there are heaps of places here, depending on how far you wanna travel. There's quite a few nice places to walk near me, always nice to walk at the beach. ;)

22. Valency Jane

Valency Jane Force Ghost star 6

Jan 17, 2016
    *jumps into things too*

I like it when they (every studio but Marvel cause they don’t lol) give us random stuff. Like Venom - def. not going in the annals of great superhero movies, but a weird fun one-off romp to me. :p And the new FF; everyone hated it but I liked it & felt like there was a better, more intense film in there, somewhere. Green Lantern too, liked that one. :p

I’ve really enjoyed most of the MCU for sure & think they’re super fun, but I do kinda miss the pre MCU. The early stuff, when they weren’t as concerned about a shared universe or sequels, & let characters do their own thing & took more chances creatively. I love Tank Girl, Blade, Hulk. Heck even Ghost Rider was a weird fun time. And from DC, I had fun with Catwoman & Daredevil. But I can just watch those again & enjoy them.

DC...idk what to think. I’ve enjoyed 4/7: WW, JL, Aquaman, & Shazam. I don’t really understand what they’re doing lol, but I didn’t get it when I read the comics with the launch of the new 52, so I was confused well before the new movies. :p

Idk. At least w/DC I actually care about if ppl live or die, like they may really take a chance & go weird/intense. Only time I felt that in MCU was with the start of IW, & it was a feeling of WTF, not actual concern; felt duped for seeing Ragnorak right before. :p

Definitely more excited to see what DC is putting out. With Marvel you know what you’re getting & it’ll be a fine fun good time, but imo DC pushes the envelope more, more of a wildcard. But I’ll still see MCU movies lol.

23. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
  24. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Just booked me and my family in to the Doctor Who escape room in 2 weeks time :D

It's two of my favourite things, Who and escape rooms. I've only had the pleasure of doing 4 rooms so far, so I'm eager for more :)

25. s_heffley

Jun 7, 2015
    Who is this new woman who has taken Dianna’s place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.