main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain B

Captain B Jedi Master star 3

Oct 8, 2014
    I try to never nitpick films, especially fantastic space movies that ignore the laws of physics, but when Rey knew how to swim I nearly burst out laughing in the theater. She should have been flailing in that water screaming for help or just sunk like a rock.

Edit:I know you were addressing more substantive character traits, but that one always got me. Feel free to ignore. Carry on

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Yeah, it really is though. And he could keep her under his thumb as a slave in everything except name if it were a matter of legality. Not that I think he'd be too worried about that in the first place.

There's more to the story coming in RoS, and that ^^^ ain't it. Someone hid her on Jakku.

3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    The TFA novel begs to differ....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whatever Rey’s backstory - which hasn’t changed and isn’t flexible, according to Daisy - Rey was never enslaved.

(And, I mean...it’s Finn who’s the actual ex-slave.)

As an added bonus, wonder if RJ was “inspired” a bit by that passage... “You have nothing. You are nothing!” Hmm.

4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    That’s my point though. Nothing has changed. People are presenting Kylo’s line as though some former paperwork exchanged hands here and that Rey belongs to Plutt but I have never understood why people see it that way.

On some level the people who left her behind likely did prioritize something petty above her own well being. It’s unlikely those people were her biological parents.

5. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    This scenario makes no sense. Why would Plutt pay them $20 (or negotiate up to $25???) for the daughter they are abandoning, who is under no obligation to even work for him?

6. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Let’s be real. You aren’t selling a girl to be a scavenger either. The whole “sold for drinking money” is nonsense, I’ll agree.

7. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It doesn’t mean some big formal transaction of rights has occurred. In plutt’s case if the parents were junkers it’s possible he’d seen her talent and they convinced him she would pay for more than whatever the small amount was he paid for them to leave her behind and that was that. With no ship and him having a strangle hold on portions any kid left behind basically has to work for him. If she’s good at scavenging and he’d seen that it would be a guarantee of superior payment coming back for what he pays out.

rorow1 likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It was just a lazily written line that we are putting infinitely more consideration to than the writer did.

Aiel, 2Cleva, Def Trooper and 10 others like this.
  9. alwayslurking

Jan 21, 2019
    Rey was not a slave. I'm not just talking about a formal legal transaction... I'm talking about the way she lived during TFA and the way she has been portrayed in canon books. She's not a slave. It's that simple.

To me, this line is explained by one of the following:
    1) Kylo is a lying POS trying to gaslight her
    2) Rey is so delusional that she thinks she was sold into slavery, even though she knows she is not a slave, and Kylo "pulled that info from her mind"
    3) RJ didn't pay good enough attention to TFA, or didn't care and was willing to retcon to tell the story he wanted to tell

ETA: Actually what @A Chorus of Disapproval said makes the most sense!

10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    the fact that she's a scavenger and sells her scavenged stuff to Unkar Plutt, even at an unfair rate, says she's not a slave. She also lives alone. Agree with the Kylo being a liar part. To me he was clearly trying to manipulate Rey.

11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Considering Pablo Hidalgo suggested that Kylo merely saw Rey’s greatest fear (vs actual memories), and considering that JJ said in 2016 that Rey wonders who her parents are, I don’t consider “sold by junker parents” to be a route of fruitful spec. At all.

Except in that narrative drama kinda requires the Truth to be completely and utterly different.

12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    She wasn't a child slave living on the back streets of some third world city. Completely different upbringing, that's why she's like she is.

13. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Hopefully Han didn't lose Rey and the Millenium Falcon in a card game to Unkar Plutt. I mean him owning the Falcon is a bit hinkey...[face_tee_hee]

14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Rey didn't come across as a slave to me at all in TFA, and that's part of the reason why my first thought after TLJ was that Kylo must have been lying to her about her parentage, but then my brother, whom I shared that theory with thought I was crazy, so I've mostly kept quiet about that theory. :pIt would make an interesting contrast with ESB if Rey hears a lie about her parentage from Kylo while Luke heard the truth from Vader, and frankly, the Sequel Trilogy needs all those differences to distinguish itself from the Original Trilogy in my opinion. So, yeah, it's possible that Kylo was lying to Rey, but it's kind of odd to me that Rey seems to agree with him or at least take his word about it.

2Cleva, Neesh, Mila Lazarus and 3 others like this.
  15. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    The fact that Rey believes him is imo more consistent with it being false.

Contrast: “Noooo! That’s not true! That’s impossible!”

;)

16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Agreed.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he wrote “sold out” and then changed it to “sold off” without even considering the volumes of people who’d hang on that one word difference between “out” to “off” as some hugely consequential change despite what we’d seen previously of the arrangement and despite the lack of emphasis on this point as something meant to change everything from Lucasfilm.

If it was meant to be as big a deal as we have all made it I bet they’d dissect it more in the EU. They haven’t so I don’t think it is.

17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    RE: slave Rey

https://boards.theforce.net/posts/55054181/

I'll just put that there for posterity's sake again and note that the StarWars.com Rey bio to date hasn't been changed to reflect TLJ's alleged version of Rey's backstory.

18. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @JoJoPenelli, ha ha, yeah, I guess Rey might just be very gullible to believe Kylo. After all, she spent most of TLJ being gullible, so that would be consistent with a majority of her TLJ characterization...

19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    she wasn't gullible with Luke in the slightest. That's what bothers people I think; there is no consistency in the writing of the ST. It plays like it was written by a committee. It bothers me anyway.

Aiel, 2Cleva, ChildOfWinds and 2 others like this.
  20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Yeah, she was mainly just gullible with Kylo. I presume this was because the plot of TLJ demanded that she be gullible about Kylo instead of really thinking critically about him or anything he was telling her. If she did, the plot of TLJ would probably fall apart, or at least Rey's plot would. And the inconsistency in the writing of the Sequel Trilogy bothers me too. I honestly think they might have been better off sticking with one director for the whole trilogy, since what we've got so far is a mighty inconsistent mess, and one director might have created more consistency. At least in theory anyway...

21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    completely agree. at least with Lucas he was there overseeing the creative vision.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If she had seen Luke's abs she would have stayed and worked harder to get him to come around.

Aiel, 2Cleva, darkspine10 and 6 others like this.
  23. alwayslurking

Jan 21, 2019
    Rey's desire for her family has been a fundamental part of her character for 2 films. If RJ gave so little consideration to the words in this scene that he did not understand the implications of the protagonist of the saga being sold by her parents, than that is absolutely pathetic.

I think the more likely reason that it hasn't been dissected in the EU is because it's a lie, and we are going to find out the truth in TROS.

24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    who..Unkar Plutt? [face_rofl][face_sick]

25. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Shame she didn't get to see Shirtless Luke then. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.