main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think it comes to how dramatically resonant it really is holistically here, in the context and scenario presented by the ST, for all the Skywalkers, and for Rey as her own heroine. That’s the difference between a “meta-only” story point and a more genuinely dramatic and sincere emotional moment.

Personally? I’d find the moment kind of depressing, and unsatisfactory, just because I’m going to be comparing this film to the original denouement from ROTJ, and to me, TLJ left Rey divested enough from Luke’s character and legacy as his literary and literal heir that it just doesn’t feel like it would be a good ending for her either. Not for a relationship that the leak seems to imply will be established as having been really built, in whatever form it actually has, offscreen between films instead of on-screen.

I think something similar to the reaction to Luke’s death in TLJ could be expected, albeit maybe even more exaggerated and exacerbated: the same basic issue of doing a total callback for a goodbye after a controversial and arguably counter-intuitive story causing dissonance in how organic and natural the story feels, but with perhaps even more backlash, since at least Luke had received his one lauded trilogy beforehand when he died, while the theoretical scene form the leak is hinging on the gravitas of Rey burying Luke’s legacy and becoming it at the same time... when arguably TLJ was itself very much against that idea and torpedoed it.

...And yeah, I’ll confess that to me, the dissonance would be solved quite a bit by a Rey Related reveal instead of a metaphorical inheritance: for all the complaints bloodline focus gets, I feel the argument means nothing when it’s Kylo’s central premise, and it would more concretely make sure that Rey could have that personal investment in a far more “real” way, and make it a bit more dramatic for me from a Rey-first perspective as well.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    So apparently in TFA she knows basically nothing about him despite acting like she knows about him from stories...

RetropME and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  3. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    She does know basically nothing about him in TFA. JJ admits that initially, she did not even know who he was in the story.

ami-padme and Darth_Tweakpiece like this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, I was riveted by the scene where they both bond over their harsh upbringings on desolate desert worlds, and the dreams they had of getting away and seeing the galaxy. Then Luke mentioning the good moments with his aunt and uncle, and old Ben, and how for him, it all started there.

Except that didn't happen. And not one reference to Luke's origins is in the ST at all. Not even in passing. But, I guess we can just assume it all, because of the implied meta knowledge Rey possesses of the OT. That sounds emotionally satisfying for the climax of the entire saga.

5. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    JJ what? It seems pretty clear to me that she knew Luke's story in TFA.

6. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I personally find this debate point tricky from both sides, since she knows enough about him and the OT in TFA to be excited by encountering Han and hearing Luke was real... but doesn’t also have enough information to know he was real and get more specific details correct.

It causes a bit of conflict because in a Galaxy where Luke, Han, Leia, and the events of the OT are still barely 30 years old, it feels like even a Jakku scavenger girl should have more concrete knowledge if she is really dedicated to it.

Personally, I dislike the idea that she’s motivated as a fan girl of Luke, though not that she’d moderately hero-worship the OT3, if that makes sense. Like, being a Luke fan girl, and a student for only two lessons, only one fo which was worthwhile, would not substitute for a more in depth relationship that would allow him to pass her the torch the way I think Han kind of did - and trying to suggest that relationship formed off screen between TLJ and TROS feel somewhat insulting to me.

Like, all things being equal, Lando or Chewie burying the lightsaber would have a lot more resonance for me on the Skywalker story front, particularly as they and the droids have lost all of the OT3.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  7. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    "I’m also being told that one change that has come about is that it’s made clear that Luke and Leia both knew of Rey’s heritage. This knowledge contributed to Luke’s hesitancy to train her..."

This makes a ton of sense to me. Consider:

1. Leia never saw Rey her whole life, yet at the end of TFA Leia looks upon Rey with compassion and hugs her. Through the Force, Leia could sense the suffering that Rey had behind and before her--not through her own fault, but because of her genealogy.

2. Luke was in exile, and then he senses behind him...Palpatine? He turns and yes: Palpatine. But not the Palpatine he knew. Disturbingly, this young Palpatine does what the Emperor Palpatine did when he first met Luke: Offered him a lightsaber. What does Luke do with the lightsaber offered him by the young Palpatine? The exact same thing he did with the lightsaber given him by the old Palpatine: He tossed it aside as visual evidence that he rejected the way of the Sith and was a true Jedi.

Rey as Palpatine's granddaughter can recontextualize TFA and TLJ in beneficial ways.

8. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean I don't think she has to be a massive fan of Luke, Han and Leia to react the way that she did to them. She's heard about them, and she's excited to see them when thrust into the story, but she doesn't necessarily have to have focused on them her whole life.

9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And I agree all the way until anyone argues that her fandom for them would justify her plan in TLJ; I don’t think you’re doing that here, but that is about where my limit is for the released films

And I’m apathetic to the idea that this fandom should substitute for a real relationship. Han built that relationship, as brief as it was. Leia has a decent start, and the write cut of material should make her relationship work as well. It’s just that even if TROS manages to create some good chemistry and show a good relationship *now* between Luke and Rey, it still wound feel strong enough to me to justify me thinking that a meta-ending is sincerely executed for the characters as well.

10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I feel like I've missed something very important :p

11. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    When these leaks are corroborated, I'm going to be parting ways with a sizable Palpatine collection. If anyone's interested, let me know.

12. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Skimming the leaks again...

Rey finds and grabs Ochie’s dagger, but when she does, it gives her visions of what happened to her parents. Ochie found and killed them with that dagger and that her parents were trying to hide her from Ochie.
    - I can't believe this scene is included and then Rey takes the Skywalker name. It's just tasteless, and even worse given Luke and Leia's supposed reduced role in the film.

Luke’s conversation with Rey is said to be encouraging yet realistically grim in tone. Luke knows first hand what it’s like to face Palpatine and that it’s not an easy task. Rey must confront Palpatine in the same way that Luke once had to confront Vader.
    - So she is supposed to go try to redeem Palpatine? Oh, right. That's just for Skywalkers.

Lando reenters the story, having changed his mind, coming to the Jungle Base and wanting to help however he can. Seeing that everyone is at a loss for what to do, Lando tries to give Finn some hope.
    - Yes, that scene makes much more sense than Lando having a reunion with his daughter.

Having returned to full strength, Palpatine then shoots lightning into Ben, forcing him to fall into a bottomless abyss, never to be seen again.
    - No comment on this one... I just enjoy reading it.

Darth Sideous, the last of the Sith Lords, is finally dead.
    - Insert eyeroll emoji here.

13. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I imagine Anakin ghost will appear screaming in his best AotC shape: "I hate sand!"

ami-padme and Darth Smurf like this.
  14. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    In concept, I agree, but I also feel that ship has sailed. If they made a decision on it in TFA, or even early on in TLJ with Luke, it would have landed a lot better. By now, it's too late to do it in a movie where we're already shoehorning Palpatine back in. Granted, it's lame either way, but with Luke already dead, it's just not as powerful and begs big questions like who the mother was, etc.

Kylo and Rey battling it out over the Skywalker/Solo legacy could've been great, but it's just not what they're doing. It's especially bad since they're just going to off Kylo, effectively destroying the Skywalkers as we knew them.

15. Josh Jones

Josh Jones Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2019
    If the rumours are true... and we have the basic outline of the film, I’m still struggling to understand the story of the ST, and how it actually adds anything and/or isn’t repetitive:

* The Prequels - the fall of Anakin Skywalker and the revenge of the Sith
    * The OT - The rise of Luke Skywalker and the return of the Jedi
    * The ST - ??? The rise of Rey somebody and the return of the Jedi again???

16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m bored and want the ST to be over already. Next trilogy please.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Will be lucky if we get a next trilogy since no one seems to know what's next.

Also some of us aren't bored and have enjoyed the ST immensely.

I say we either
    A. Cancel Star Wars

or B

Reboot and only keeps the OT and nothing else...Heck lets just keep A New Hope ;) and never make Star Wars again :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2019
  18. All_Powerful_Jedi

Sep 12, 2003
    My best attempt is that it's about honoring the legacies of the past and how you can't bury the evils of the past, because if you do, they will always find a way to re-emerge, but the same also works for good and you can be anyone you want to be and honor the past, or don't, or whatever. Resist evil or something.

spacebaby45678 and Def Trooper like this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean the ST is that...The ST is a meta-commentary on the Star Wars trilogy or saga itself.

20. All_Powerful_Jedi

Sep 12, 2003
    I mean, we literally have our characters playing with toys and cosplaying as more famous Star Wars characters...

21. Bananakin_

Bananakin_ Jedi Master star 2

Dec 3, 2016
    That's the biggest issue here, purpose. Yeah we know these movies are made for money, but there should be a overall story like you said. The most logical and natural next step would have been testing the longevity of the OT's accomplishments, like the New Republic and Luke's Jedi Order.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Exactly! Our hero's are ...Star Wars fans.

All_Powerful_Jedi likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Hence the phrase “I’m bored.” I would never presume to speak to the level of boredness of others. :)

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Would you though :p

But seriously Bob knows what comes next!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Iger very recently said B&W are up next. I think that’s still a go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.