main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    See, I never got inclusive or feminist out of it as I don't look for those things in my entertainment. I didn't really feel like TLJ was trying to make any statements other than a bunch of meta statements about star wars fandom and preconceived notions and I think that is where it ultimately failed as the subversion of expectations undermined the logical progression of the story.

Then again I also believe that "inclusive" and "anti-facist" are also over-used terms. I honestly am not sure what his goal was beyond subversion which obviously made for a great or terrible film depending on who you ask. I am personally indifferent towards it.

I don't know much about Lucas' personal beliefs but that doesn't necessarily matter when it comes to telling a story. Ridley Scott is a noted atheist and yet has made some very spiritually robust films.

I honestly expect a future Star Wars project to dig a lot deeper into the mythological/spiritual side of the Force than the ST has as I don't expect TROS to really give us anything more on that front.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. leelaamidala

leelaamidala Jedi Master

Jan 3, 2003

Well according to this interview that was making the rounds on twitter today his taste is that he was a fan of TFA and not so much TLJ. Really curious what he thinks of TROS...

3. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    One of the coolest moments in TFA was when Finn said "come and get it" and had a brief toe-to-toe with Kylo Ren. And then his coolness just evaporates. Maybe they should've both been training as Jedi in TLJ. That would've been something new, and an evolution from ROTJ when we should've really seen more Jedi on-screen (without going full prequels with it where there's lightsabers everywhere).

Finn could've been trying to get Rey to stick with the light side while she kept drifting towards Kylo, the good student vs the bad student, with Rey eventually coming around.

4. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Finn could be Jacob and Ben would be Edward. But with lightsabers instead of fangs. :p And Rey would choose the right guy this time.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The main villain in Trevorrow’s version of episode nine was a female Sith called “The Sollowy” according to Jason Ward.

tymaux, TadoFett and KSennia like this.
  6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Ben > Palpatine > new threat would be my preferences for antagonist in the closing chapter of the saga. Obviously there were other issues with CT’s script but I’m glad this didn’t make it through.

godisawesome likes this.
  7. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    How can you be glad when you literally don’t know anything about the character or story?

alwayslurking likes this.
  8. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    I guess it’s mostly down to being human and having an opinion based on the information I have available to me mixed with my personal preferences.

9. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I don't know what it would add to the story to have Finn keep Rey on a short leash to stop her from "chasing the bad boy". Or how effective that would actually be, since Rey wasn't telling anyone about her meetings with Kylo. The only reason Luke knew about them was that she got caught.

10. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    While it may of been an interesting idea ala Sam and Frodo on Mt Doom I don’t think it would’ve been executed to that degree of success and come off as tacky and sexist.

cerealbox and RiddleMeThis like this.
  11. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    John boyega has become a little pompous to me. His comments about working on tv was strange. Like working on tv is beneath him.

Troy_Viszla likes this.
  12. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I dont think Boyega's opinion is any more valuable than yours or mine. And IMO he wants to beef up his rôle as Finn more than anything.

13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Being made to speak dialogue like “Let’s go chrome dome” would make any actor critical of the role. Finn gets his own mission (sounds good), but as written, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    The story as was already came off hella sexist. I would have preferred Finn on Achoo with lesser force abilities because while Rey was bizarrely chasing a monster for no reason whatsoever, Finn would have had an interesting story. Not interested in Finn competing with Kylo for Rey’s soul. She can make her own decisions, and when they’re panting for the gross villain, Finn could be the hero.

15. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Ahhhhhaha reminds me of one of Harrison’s old expressions to George about being able to write something doesn’t mean it should be said although much less polite. I dislike that line too.

Immortiss likes this.
  16. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    Just brought the kids to see Frozen 2, and I was surprised how many Posters and Banners they put up for TRoS.
    Even more stuff then when TFA came out.

17. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    Agreed, it's actually pretty galling to hear ST defenders claim that the backlash to the PT "wasn't as toxic." Parts of the ST backlash are more overtly political but toxicity can take many other forms. Ahmed Best has said he was nearly driven to suicide and let's not even get into what the fandom did to Jake Lloyd, who was a literal child at the time.

18. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Jake lloyd was terrible. I don't know who kept hiring him because he was also in jingle all the way and he couldn't act their act there either. But yeah even though I hate the prequels and I think attack of the Clones might be one of the worst movies ever made with some of the worst acting up there with the room. the hate was over the top.

19. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Bless you

godisawesome and AhsokaSolo like this.
  20. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Then you're not paying attention. He's recently talked about being delighted by people who recall his role in the tv series '24', and 'Law and Order'. He did 'Watership Down' not that long ago and he's soon up for a Netflix film. He likely just prefers doing movies over TV, and after the issues he's articulated with TLJ I can see him NOT wanting go through something similar again with the Star Wars franchise (Only with a greater time commitment).

21. tymaux

tymaux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 21, 2019
    It's just ironic how fandom of story about hope and redemption can be so angry and bitter. These people never learned that anger leads to the dark side.

dragonchic likes this.
  22. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I suspect he could gain abit of a Will Smith complex if he isn't careful.

Christopher Blair likes this.
  23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I think he'll remain opinionated about the stories he works on and about how fans treat the people he works with especially when decisions about characterization are made over said actress/actors head (like he did when he defended Loan Tran from the usual trolls). I don't see that as being arrogant, it just means he's going to disagree with people and as per usual some fans will assume that makes him arrogant or an enemy...especially if he's speaking against something the enjoy.

24. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Double post

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  25. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Oh, I dunno. Fans love villains ;)

cwustudent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.