main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Baby Yoda and TROS

My daughter said to me of one of her 14-year-old friends: "She's really looking forward to the new Star Wars movie so she can see Baby Yoda."

Um... Let's just charitably say that that's a tad bit confused. But my daughter's friend surely isn't the only one! I wonder how many people are going to watch TROS in the theater and then say, "Hey! Where was Baby Yoda? I was jipped!"

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    They probably think it's actually Yoda, too.

3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Tell her that baby Yoda morphed into Klaud
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    DarthRosie, Neesh, Lulu Mars and 3 others like this.
  4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    RJ's choices in the way he set up his own story, is what did this. First, he set up the movie to take place literally exactly where TFA left off. He did this because he wanted to show the reaction of Luke being handed the saber, which ultimately was used as a joke. However, a lot of screen time was then needed to "train" Rey and, allow her to fix RJ's broken down Luke.

If the movie had started say - weeks or months later - he could have had Rey on that island far shorter than what we got, with the intention of getting her back to the Resistance/ST Trio. Instead of watching the literal reaction, and starting from square one, Rey could have filled us in that it's been weeks and she's just barely getting through to him. We could have seen her communicate with Leia and be told that the Resistance is now on the run from the FO and things are dire. Or if Luke wasn't written to be as broken as he was, or didn't have his own hero arc (more of an arc than Rey even got), less time on that island would be needed - if he was concerned about giving the ST Trio time together. But he clearly wasn't.

Hell. Being that the island is the 'most unfindable' spot in the galaxy, it's kind of weird that the Resistance just didn't ask Rey where she was, so they could all hide out there with Luke. Seeing as how that's what Leia wanted most of all, instead of waiting for pain in the ass brother to show up, she could have just gone to him. You could have had the ST Trio all arrive on Ahch-to, plan their next move, and then go about their mission to the Supremacy to either turn Kylo or bring down the ship.

Anyways. There are hundreds of ways of allowing the ST trio to have time together in TLJ. There were even ways of letting the OT3 have a reunion as well in TFA. TPTB just weren't really interested in either, I'm afraid.

5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    As much as I personally hate the cutesie designs, you can’t fault TFA and TLJ for purposely making a lot of money from merchandise driven characters like BB-8 and Porgs.

But Klaud definitely ain’t it for TROS. I suppose that’s where Dio comes in.

godisawesome likes this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Klaud is actually Baby Yoda after eating Dio

7. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I dunno. I'm not picking up a 'cutesy - gotta have it now' vibe from Dio. I saw the life size Dio toy at Target and it just looked...I dunno...bleh.

8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    RJ had Rey on Snoke’s ship at the same time Finn and Rose were there, and neither ever knew it or cared. He clearly had no interest in their stories having the slightest bit of connection. It was on purpose, his choice, he gets all the credit, good or bad or whatever a person’s opinion on it is.

9. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    Yeah, maybe he thinks wrinkly butt is Santa and sits on his lap to inform him of his Christmas list. Palps doesn't know what to do and Rey sneaks up on him then....

10. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    You have no information.

11. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    I agree with you here. TFA set up the gravity of the moment, and TLJ deflated it. I resented that choice, and it took me a little while in the theater to refocus.

My stupid, outside-the-box hope was that their encounter would be an interstitial moment presented as the first full-length trailer or something. Then, move on with the story a month, year, whatever later.

12. tymaux

tymaux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 21, 2019
    Just because that's how TFA ended doesn't mean they had to be separated until the end of next movie. In ESB trio is together at the beginning, then they are separated and then together again at the end if the movie.

If Rian knew how to write fun adventures that would have been possible in TLJ as well.

13. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Very good point! A big plot hole - or rather just another instance of RJ not caring - is when Rey leaves the throne room, takes off in Snoke's ship, finds Chewie, and then heads to Crait, all off screen. It's kind of baffling that RJ didn't just write the easiest way out for her; she discovers Finn in the shuttle bay fighting off troopers. She could have totally joined him, they would have had a HOLY COW "you're here?!?!" moment and then fought of the baddies and gotten their butts to Crait together.

It's quite mind boggling. Like I get that he deliberately wanted everyone 'alone', but then the story and their developing bond was sacrificed instead.

14. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The circumstances of their separations were VERY different. Han was taken away and thus needed to be rescued. Rey was voluntarily on a different journey.

15. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I’m not Johnson but I can answer that.

If the story ended at Act 3, I would agree with you.

But Act 4 on Crait still had to take place.

Before meeting up with Rey, Johnson wanted to show the change in Finn’s attitude as shown with his speech on Crait and the infamous skidder run.

Likewise with Poe showing his lesson learned on retreating when necessary.

None of that could be shown if Rey had already met up with them.

16. tymaux

tymaux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 21, 2019
    That whole thing on Supremacy was so contrived and nonsensical on so many levels.

17. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    The Supremacy plot is just nonsense. Pretty much like the rest of the story. Two years after its release, TLJ has managed to look even worse in my eyes than the first time I saw it. No surprise the general consensus is that people sincerely dislike it as a movie.

18. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Honestly though. The movie actually wraps up better in ACT 3. ACT 4, Crait, is where everything spirals into an abyss. Kylo is back to acting like a maniac. Rey is happy as a clam. Finn is ready to sacrifice himself for the cause and then called a dummy for doing not what he originally was trying to do all along, and then Luke shows up and trolls his nephew, while Jedi Master Leia hides in a cave and lets everyone around her do all the work.

The movie should have ended right after the Supremacy. That's where everyone's arc actually concludes.

19. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    That’s not VERY different. It just means in both cases they needed plot to bring them back together. In both cases, it could have happened in Act I, and did in one of the two.

20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Imagining a TLJ where the climax of the movie all ends up on Ahch-to.

It would be cool if the most unfindable place in the galaxy, the mcguffin of the first movie, ends up being where everyone is at in the second film. I mean, you'd have the Resistance show up looking for Rey/Luke because they're being chased, the ST Trio can get together, and then Ben and Luke's fight takes place with in the First Jedi Temple (nice symbolism), and then Luke doesn't have to do his projection stuff, can die protecting Rey and the Resistance, so they can finally escape...

Yeah, I dig it. lol

21. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    @DarkGingerJedi: Along those lines, Rey accepts Kylo Ren's offer, and they bolt to whatever may be. Meanwhile, Leia, Poe, and the gang survive because Chewie comes back in the Falcon with Lando and a big flotilla of scoundrels. And DJ double-crosses the First Order and picks up Finn, Rose, and BB-8. Last scene is Hux discovering Snoke's lovely tongue-sticking-out corpse and declaring himself Supreme Leader when the Knights of Ren return from wherever and say not so fast my friend there's something you need to know. And whatever Luke learned from Yoda becomes important in Episode 9, when Plapy returns for the final showdown.

ETA: This was before I saw your Act-to post.

22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    No. I understood. But yeah, exactly like that. There was that funky cut of Rey getting injured by the P-guard knife, that was digitally cut... Have Rey get gravely injured. Kylo carries her almost lifeless body back to his own ship. She's now in a lot of danger. Which is why Yoda tells Luke that they mustn't lose Rey. And then Finn and Rose meet up with Leia and the Resistance and flee. End Credits, w the cliffhanger being what happens to Rey.

dorsvenabili likes this.
  23. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    It's very different because in one case, the next course of action is already dictated, while in the other case, the next course of action is not already dictated.

24. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Since it was the plan all along to bring back Palpatine (ahem), you could also throw in a hint of Palpatine there. Awesome cliffhanger. Sorry broom boy, you just don't cut it.

25. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Rey’s mission was literally to bring Luke back. JJ set up her return along with the time jump implied in Snoke asking for Kylo to come finish his training.

RJ’s choices are his. Exclusively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.