main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    I thought it was meh. Felt like bad fan fiction. No story and too much action scenes.

2. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Guess that answers my earlier question. Wondered if the KOR were actually former students of Luke's and why weren't they using the force when they were fighting Ben. (I didn't see the movie, just leaked clips of the fight).

Zikri likes this.
  3. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    EXACTLY. This was a problem going back to TFA and it amazes me how people just gave that a pass. People can say what they want to about the PT and prequels characters. You got to know them. No, they werent the kind of characters that you would likely have a beer with, but thats the way they were.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The beginning of the film when Kylo meets the Emperor and the Emperor offers to make him the new emperor and to give him a big fleet so he can take over the galaxy I was thinking, "HE ALREADY HAS ALL OF THAT!!!! He's supreme leader! He has a huge fleet! He controls the galaxy!"

The whole premise of the movie was based on Kylo getting what he already had!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  5. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't regard the PT as destroyed or bad. And there is nothing that Abrams can do to lessen my enjoyment of those films, thank goodness. Or the OT for that matter.

Was there any kind of development that led to their last action together? I read the plot on Wikipedia.

I love "Batman v. Superman". I think Chris Terrio was simply working with the wrong director for TROS. After all, Abrams' other screenwriters didn't help his films. And some of them have done better films outside of Abrams.

Deliveranze and Mr. Forest like this.
  6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Didn't that recent writer for the Kylo Ren comic say that the Knights are Force users? Hahaha.

7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I’m back from seeing TROS.

Big letdown. The Reylo kiss takes the cake as the worst part.
    I have more to say, but I don’t feel like it now. More to come.

8. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Yeah. Kylo defeats the Supreme Leader, becomes Supreme Leader...only to find out there's another older Supreme Leader because that older Supreme Leader finally announces he's the Supreme Leader in the opening crawl. So, so bad.

9. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Part of the problem I think is that they became completely different people in TLJ; and were then, at least partially, reset to something that JJ preferred in TROS. They didn't have coherent arcs, and so we couldn't grow as an audience in our understanding of who they were. That and the fact that the last act was so rushed that we didn't have time to get to know anybody, as they were rushing hither and thither on a manic quest for toy merchandise or something.

10. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I’m certainly no Pegg fan and I agree he was pretty crappy to Lucas and the PT. I do think he got some humble pie with his Star Trek writing experience. It at least seemed to me he finally understood that writing for an established franchise is hard and story telling often needs the work of a brilliant storyteller. I took his later statements about Star Wars needing Lucas as an admission to that. Whether that absolves if his previous behavior is an individual point of view and I’ll respect your stance on that. I personally hope this newfound humility makes him a better person going forward. I’m saddened his compatriot Mr. Abrams has not taken a similar stance.

11. Havok176

Havok176 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    I just heard Rey can float mid air meditating with hundreds of boulders levitating and do a back flip and cut a tie fighter in half. WTF i knew people said she was op but how???? How is she able to do this??? Please someone confirm this isn't true.

12. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Ugh. I hate Kylo Ren, Rey Fraudwalker is an idiot, we got no explanation for the Rebel fleet, nothing for Palpatine except lazy “this is my evil plan”, no Anakin, no explanation for the voices, Reylo is canon now, meaning that Kylo, the golden boy who Han and majorly Luke were thrown under the bus for, got his sappy ending before he died, the Skywalkers may as well not have done anything if this is the story of one man’s granddaughter who kills him. Anakin and Luke are placeholders. George Lucas’s saga is a placeholder. I’m glad it exists in a canon not created by Disney, one that will never be erased as long as we remember.

JJ Abrams clearly wanted to get from scene to scene with no development of characters or plot, most notably in act one.
    “You guys knew Palpatine was coming. Here he is, movingon now.”
    “Yeah, you guys knew there would be a dagger. You got it, lets roll, people.”

So frustrating.

13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    not really surprising since Rey is not reletable and her whole story is about Kylo. Poe and Finn had subpar characterizations/story. The ST was never about characters it's about trying to use characters for the plot/moving along the plot. And that the supposed trio only get together in last movie it's too late.

14. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    I actually find it kinda disgusting that Pegg even got to be in a Star Wars film after all he did, personally.

15. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Also as others have said Han coming back as a "memory" but really was basically a ghost felt like JJ Abrams saying, "I know this makes zero logical sense but dammit I"m putting it in anyway!" When I was watching that part it felt like the audience was collectively thinking, "wait...am I buying this? I don't know if I'm buying this. I want to buy it but...this is weird." It felt like the total embodiment of fan service.

Also the ST has done next to nothing to make Kylo Ren a sympathetic character. If they did give us more backstory for Kylo and they did make Kylo more sympathetic the Ben/Han scene would've worked better. I kinda felt the emotion moment they were going for but it also felt so unearned because we've only known Kylo as an evil murderer. Plus Han basically being a ghost made the whole thing awkward too. It's a testament to how good an actor Harrison Ford and Adam Driver are that they made me feel a tiny bit of what I was supposed to feel in a scene so unearned and awkward.

ETA: @starocean90 I could never get on board with the theory that the ST was more about Kylo than Rey but now that I've seen TROS it's kinda harder to argue against that on a certain level.

16. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    I spent the entire film doing Han’s “that’s not how the Force works!” bit in my head and dreaming of leaving the theater.

It might be one of the worst films I’ve seen in my adult life, Star Wars or no.

17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    is the FO even interesting in the slightest? Feels like the Empire was more badass, fun group of villains. Even single movie appearance officers were interesting and who can forget Piett. I recall always being curious about all those's guys's backstories. The FO, don't really care.....

the FO just seems there to be Empire 2.0 and nothing more. Such a pointless thing, seems like the whole FO ended up being a front for Palps to build a secret army and lol that his entire secret army gets destroyed in the same movie.[face_rofl] Dang add Machiavellian genius Palps on the list of old flop characters. His only success is winning vs our OT heroes and that his blood continues while the Skywalker one ends forever.....

18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I also thought that Snoke out of the way would lead to more Kylo backstory and am super bummed we didn't get it.

As far as the saving Ben story goes that's the thing that drives me nuts. For years now I've been against the theory that the ST is really Ben's story but in TROS it felt like they were trying to make saving Ben the emotional hight point of the movie which then DID make it feel like they were trying to tell us that this whole trilogy has been about Ben. None of that is earned though. You have the moments in TROS where "Kylo" is dead and Ben has returned and it feels like the movie wants the audience to support this and cheer for Ben but we don't know Ben. We know Kylo Ren the evil killer and I can't jump on the sympathy train just because somebody pushed a button in Kylo Ren and turned him back into a good guy.

unicorn, 2Cleva, wobbits and 7 others like this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Although I liked the new film I hate one thing. For the love of god please stop using planet destroying weapons! Have an original idea! Is it possible? So far there have been 3 to many weapons like this in the movie. And a planet destroying weapon has featured in some way in 7 movies out of 11 total.

20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. I was a huge fan of the theory that there was a family tragedy that opened Ben up to the dark side and that somehow Rey was involved. That's the story I wanted to see. That story would've been far more emotionally engaging, interesting, and well tragic. Instead we got, "Palpatine was alive the whole time somehow and he was poisoning Kylo's mind the whole time somehow."

21. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    They said it right from the beginning: This is the story of the Skywalkers. And Pablo Hidalgo had always stated that Kylo Ren is a Skywalker even without the surname. You know it to be true.

I lost all hope for Episode IX when they revealed that Rey is a Nobody and that she is romantically attracted to Kylo Ren. They clearly wanted Kylo Ren to be the main Skywalker of the Saga. That's all that matters to them. They didn't considering the unfortunate implications of making Rey a supporting love interest to a mass murderer, nor did they consider that many fans will reject Kylo Ren for being a disgrace to the Skywalker name.

What I wanted out of Episode IX was to see Disney realize what a big mistake they made with their story direction in TLJ. They failed half of it. What? Did the war over TLJ prevented Lucasfilm from picking up that Reylo is a terrible direction?

22. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    For me too. I groaned so loud and said "Jesus Christ" while shaking my head in my hands.

I honestly thought they could have had a GOOD moment there. Rey SHOULD have died, sacrificing herself to save everyone, including Ben. And Ben was not able to save her. But of course they made out (and I think they are cousins since Palpatine created Anakin) and then Ben died and disappeared like Luke for some reason.

23. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    To me that scene would have been annoying, but possibly, MAYBE forgivable without the kiss.

But ideally, Anakin would have been the one to heal Rey. If he can’t kill Palpatine again, he can at least do his part to make sure the Jedi legacy lives another day.

Kylo Ren can keep free falling.

24. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Ugh...how in the world could they not see how problematic it was to do any of this? You're right that they always called it the Skywalker Saga and I foolishly thought that meant they were talking about Rey. And no it doesn't count that Rey is now living under a Skywalker alias.

I can't have any sympathy for Ben if the movie doesn't give me more than the tiny bit we got in TLJ. And I can't get with Rey having romantic feelings for him. He helped kill trillions of people! Rey looks a complete idiot for looking past all of Kylo's murdering! It's nuts that our hero wants to kiss a mass murderer.

When you make Rey look like an idiot for kissing Ben and you make Ben a mass murderer who we're supposed to sympathize with because he turns to the light side in the last twenty minutes what you have are two characters that I cannot in any way support. It really highlights how thinly drawn these characters are.

ETA: This movie did an amazing job at completely killing any interest I might've had in seeing Rey in another Star Wars film. Plus now I REALLY don't trust Disney and KK's decisions with this franchise.

ETA: Ugh...I forgot that Kylo tortured Rey too in TFA. I think some of the actors or the writers even likened it to being sexually violated. Jesus. Great message there Disney! You made your hero love her torturer.

25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    It’s disappointing Coruscant is never shown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.