main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    But don't you get that you're supposed to let the past die and only care about the new characters? Oh, you paid to see storylines for characters from nine movies seeing payoff as was advertised? Oh well. Nevermind then, we've got your money.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  2. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    https://slate.com/culture/2019/12/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-last-jedi-rey-palpatine.html

This definitely qualifies as a negative take, going so far as to outright spoil one of the big reveals right out of the gates. Apparently not following up on TLJ was a big disappointment for some fans. But doesn't the author realize the irony there? Rian threw all the plot points J.J. was preparing out the window, so he just turned around and did the same. Though I think it's disingenuous to imply that this film's divergence from the last is done to reward "toxic fanboys." Does that lump casual fans that enjoyed it into that group as well? Furthermore, the fact that "anyone can be a Jedi" isn't retconned, nor was that exclusive to TLJ (though IMO it was a little heavy-handed in that film). He overlooks a HUGE plot development that Finn now uses the Force.

I hear a lot about toxicity, but reading that venomous article about how Star Wars fans must be punished makes me see that a lot of the journalists pushing a narrative can be just as vindictive.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Two perfect opportunities for it. Either have it be the planet that Palpatine destroys to show he means business or show it during the destruction of the first order montage.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Leia basically using the Force to push a button to automatically turn Kylo back to the good side feels like Ben was just possessed this whole time so all is forgiven because it was really evil possessed Ben who did all the bad stuff. Now that he’s good it’s okay for Rey to make out with him!

5. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I totally agree. It makes NO SENSE! Since they released TFA, Rey was the ultimate (female) character. She was better than anyone else and had zero training. She's basically indestructible. She has all the power of all the Jedi before her in her. So basically the most ultimate character in Star Wars is a young woman, but she still "falls in love with the abusive bad boy". Give me a break. I feel like vomiting.

6. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    For me, the "true" story of Star Wars is Episode I-VI. Episodes VII-IX are in-universe mythos building.

7. for me they are holoshows, holopropaganda or a board game in universe

8. Jango--John

Jango--John Jedi Master star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    In disbelief at how bad this movie is.

9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think it's worse than that. One of the things Disney and Iger did wrong was try and copy the MCU. The MCU are basically McDonalds movies. To use one example Dr Strange and Ironman are very similar movies. They have different super powers and character names are different but the story beats are basically the same.
    They were trying to do the same with Starwars. Which is why they threw out Lucas treatments and hired JJ. They weren't interested in story or character development. They just wanted lots of flashy spectacle and for people to pay money to keep coming back to see explosions and lightsabre fights.
    Problem is Starwars is more than that. It always has been. It wouldn't have been as popular if it wasn't . Disney just didn't get that.

10. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Well this movie makes sense of it. She's a Palpatine see? Its in her bloodline to be drawn to emotionally damaged and evil people. :p

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Mr. Forest likes this.
  11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    If ya liked TFA and TLJ, you'll like this apparently
    If ya hated both, you'll hate this.
    If ya liked TFA and hated TLJ, mixed responses.
    If ya hated TFA, liked TLJ, you'll hate this.

Seems to be the consensus im seeing in general. Of course, not everyone applies to this.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What about you? Do you like it?

Deliveranze likes this.
  13. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Times are tough here.

14. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Haven't seen it yet. Hated TFA, didn't hate TLJ, but I dislike the ST overall and especially JJ Abrams.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    You might be in trouble with this one then as it is effectively TFA cranked up on steroids.

Shamear, Shadao and Deliveranze like this.
  16. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Yeah. Reading spoilers, Im already mad at the conception of the story. I don't think seeing it will help me. Lol

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah so you probably won’t like this then. Whenever you do get around to seeing it leave your thoughts in RYL. Would love to see what you think.

darkspine10 and Deliveranze like this.
  18. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    What is the consensus there?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I really enjoyed the film overall but the Rey-Finn love story didn't get a conclusion and that's a bad loose thread to leave. Especially when they reintroduced it several times early in the film. Seriously, wrap up the romance arc you have been teasing since 2015 instead of the wack Reylo kiss.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Mixed although none below a 5/10 right now

Deliveranze likes this.
  21. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    If there was a love-story between the two. I'm sorry but I get the feeling that Lucasfilm seems to have some aversion to Finnrey considering all the love interests they gave to Finn and all the attempts to make Reylo a thing.

22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    They wont even let the past die themselves. Have to create something new, kill it, make the past important without reverence, and then kill it again like nothing while tying the new into the past at the last second.

JJ really made sure that this was full Macbeth
    Honestly somehow that intentionally depressing quote is less cynical than this feels

23. xaxiomatic

xaxiomatic Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 26, 2015
    Here I'll make it a bit better for you. The Jedi were right. Celibacy is the only way to go for force sensitive people.

24. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    John Williams gave it the score the story had earned?

Zikri likes this.
  25. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    Me, too. It wasn’t just that it was an unbelievably bad SW film; it was an unwatchable film, period. The pacing was absolutely atrocious, like someone assumed we proles couldn’t be bothered to care about characterization or plot as long as we had explosions being thrown at us every five seconds. Just an absolute embarrassment of a film. I can say with confidence that I’ll never voluntarily watch it again.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.