main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    It is so bizarre how normal people take on the cause of the poor put upon multi-billion dollar corporations. It reminds me of one of the subreddits my husband likes to laugh at occasionally - Boring Dystopia.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hopefully Disney doesn’t make a spinoff series about Palpatine’s romantic encounters.

3. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    This is a decent idea. If JJ and Disney decided sooner that Rey was supposed to be a Palpatine (which of course they wouldn't have as I think at least JJ intended Snoke to be the big baddie) then I truly believe it creates a fundamental difference in how Rian approaches Last Jedi and how he deals with Luke and Rey. Rian like with Breaking Bad if he's given an instruction on where the story needs to be he will craft his episode in a rich way to get it to that point. They essentially gave Rian the keys with no direction other than probably "do whatever you want, just don't kill off Rey or Kylo".

But going back to Rey as a Palpatine, it's really a shame they didn't come up with that sooner because conceptually it's great. Its certainly derivative of Luke being the son of Vader but the beauty here is where Luke brings his father to the light and embraces his lineage, Rey knows she can't redeem her grandfather and rejects his lineage. And it parallels well with Kylo who's trying to embrace his own grandfather but the Vader/evil side of it.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  4. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Prince Ken and Mara Palpatine coming to Disney +.

5. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    The film critic from Dallas with his final review:
    http://cinemalogue.com/2019/12/18/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/#sthash.gyFITcUK.dpbs

I am so sick and tired of "it's never going to be the way it was because your world view changed." Followed by them screeching about something they feel passionate about being trashed. I well remember one of the "the ST is great b/c it trashes the OT" worldview holders screaming when it was announced Buffy would be rebooted.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I doubt Rey has kids thankfully so hopefully she’ll be the last Palpatine. At least biological kids

Luke02 likes this.
  7. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rey will be too busy sand boarding on the dune seas.

PendragonM likes this.
  8. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    He doesn't. He threatens to kill the Emperor, only to get laughed off. He's too scared to take Palpatine on, even the dead one. He bows, with the intent to backstab with Rey by his side. It's one of the least stupid actions taken by a villain in this movie, probably because he's supposed to end up a hero... [face_plain]

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Is this gonna be a game? Can’t wait to get its DLC :p

10. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Yeah, this is like the Fire Walk With Me of the SW franchise. Someone get David Lynch on this: it would be the horror film of the year.

astinus4 likes this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Also they managed to take something people have been wanting, Finn being Force sensitive, and somehow found a way to make that underwhelming.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well Lucas did want him for ROTJ.

jimtalkbox, Luke02 and grd4 like this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    Unless you're a film critic you're not allowed to complain about how crappy Star Wars is. Critics have been bashing SW for 40 years, but they finally liked one them (and not just retroactively because it's popular to like them), and now no one is allowed to not like them. Even if critics don't like TROS, we're still not allowed to not like it.

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    maybe Disney/JJ logic is
    Rey Palpatine=Disney Princess, Palps is royalty
    Ben Solo=Disney Prince, Leia is royalty

[face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you want a more measured but critical take on this, I've watched a few of the videos on WhatCulture, they're pretty fun.

16. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I laughed at Rey throwing sticks of wood into her fire to burn the Kylo Tie Fighter like it was made of wood and glue. Rather than Force pushing it into the water or blowing it up. Best of all as she fire pit burns it she stands a few feet away from like never expecting it to blow up from its fuel and ammo.

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Why the hell can Marvel plan out 20 movies better than LFL can plan out three movies?

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I’ll have to take a look.

19. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    And I laughed at this description of that ridiculousness. The mental image of Rey throwing sticks on this fire has got to be better than it actually happening. I'm picturing twigs [face_laugh]

20. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    In slight fairness, I used to think the way you do, as I hated TPM and AOTC and always thought the "worldview changed" argument to defend the prequels was BS back then but in retrospect it's partly true. Look at the reputation of the prequels now. Kids who grew up with them, they see the flaws in them now, but they still hold that special place in their hearts and will fight me if I dare talk trash about say AOTC. Like they'll go after me man. Lol.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  21. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    Because the productions for the ST was very compartmentalized to the point that JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson didn't know what each was doing. And the leadership at LFL didn't try and maintain channels to keep everyone on the same page. TFA/TLJ/TROS is absolutely a failure of communication at multiple levels.

And they didn't try and push a gameplan for the movies. They let JJ Abrams do what he wanted. And then let Rian Johnson do what he wanted, which was burn JJ's mystery boxes and treat TLJ like a soft reboot of the ST. And finally they let JJ Abrams do what Johnson did to TFA and treat TLJ like a red headed step child of the ST and toss out everything he did.

The ST was a mess because of a lack of any sort of planning and communication.

Except the ST simply doesn't have the kid or toy appeal of the PT and TCW. This is the central problem with the ST, it's entirely banking on pre-existing fans and appealing to their nostalgia. It's not growing our fanbase. It's why SW is doing so poorly in emerging markets. Because really what's capturing the attentions of children and young adults isn't Star Wars, it's the MCU.

22. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Because of who runs it.

23. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Probably 'ol JJ calling for a Vader's funeral pyre moment cause he has to remake everything,lol.

nightangel and AhsokaSolo like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    As one of those kids I wouldn’t fight you on it just hopefully we would have a good debate about why you would like it or not. They are just movies after all

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    To me the ST felt very at odds with itself. It seemingly started out as Rey's story but by the time we got to the end of TROS it felt like they were wrapping up a three movie story about star crossed lovers and the return of a sad lost boy Ben Solo but even that story doesn't appear in TROS until the last act of the movie. And on top of all that the movie is asking us to be on board with it all. The emotional climax is that Rey and Ben can finally be together? What? Why should we want that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.