main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rise of Skywalker - Reviews/Reactions Thread (See Warning On Page 98)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthKegs, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I'm mean, Anakin was missing both legs and an arm and was laying on a volanic beach so hot he compusted, even if obi-wan could safely get down to him without dying himself what could he do? He can't cuase his limbs to grow back.

Not to mention the fact they were fighting to kill each other at that point

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

[face_batting][face_thinking]

3. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Was'nt that what he was trying to do?

LordDallos likes this.
  4. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Qi-Gon had a hole burned through his chest and Vader was a broken shell of a Human and luke a half-trained sort-of padawan who probobly did'nt even know HOW to use Force heal yet (Ben and Yoda only taught him the basics and had very little time at that)

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    This is a thought I expressed a few times when I was disappointed with how The Last Jedi went. In my head, I was hoping for a quest type movie in that installment, which would lead Luke and Rey to the first Jedi Temple on Ach'To. There they would try to stop Kylo reaching teachings of a power so great that it would allow the user not only to "see other places" using the Force, but "be other places", a kind of Force teleportation technique.

The idea, as you say, was slightly manifested in TROS when Kylo is able to snatch the necklace from Rey's neck, probably my favourite scene from the movie. I really like the conceit behind it.

6. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Obi-wan has taught you well"

wobbits and Darth Nobunaga like this.
  7. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Being able to heal scars or relativly minor to moderate wounds with the Force dos'nt really open a can of worms. It's not like peaple are raising the dead (Kylo aside, and that KILLED him) or curing cancer and blindness

The concept of the power existed for decades and it was never been world-breaking before now, i honestly don't see what the issue is.

8. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Obi-Wan barely taught him anything before Vader cut the poor man in two, lol. As for the qoute Vader probobly assumed Kenobi had been training Luke for years on Tatooine. It seems like a logical assumption for him to make.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  9. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    It's not about Obi-wan....it's about how Vader was impressed with Luke's abilities. You'd think the guy who wiped out the Jedi Order might know a thing or two about those abilities...

10. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I like the concept of the power as well but the problem with it is that if one can do it over such distances why do Jedi and Sith bother with spaceships when they should just be popping around from planet to planet, or even using it in fights to outmanuver each other? Their has to be some great risk or intense concentration required or else it should be commonplace. Like i said Luke died just from projecting his image from one planet to anouther.

Sarge and Bob Effette like this.
  11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    The concept has not existed in canon prior to The Mandalorian and TROS, since Disney scrapped the old EU. Also, whether it killed him or not, is irrelevant. Kylo Ren reviving Rey opens a can of worms. It introduces resurrection in Star Wars, quite easily achievable too.

12. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    In the VD, it says Rey learns the Force healing thing from the Jedi texts. It's how she was able to rebuild the Skywalker saber.

[​IMG]

It's possible Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan never knew this knowledge.

13. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    So easy that only one force user ever did it and that act killed him.... and we have no idea if this is true resurrection or just a massive healing on someone who had been "dead" for like 2-3 minutes (modern medicine can sometimes revive people in the short window prior to irreversible brain damage).

LordDallos, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Somebody on this forum (can't remember which thread) offered an interesting theory whereby they suggested that perhaps Kylo was on a "borrowed" life-force given to him by Rey because of his otherwise fatal abdominal injury, and that it was his returning it that caused his death. The poster also suggested that it would have been perhaps a neat idea to show that his wound had returned at this point. I liked the idea.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  15. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    COMBAT abilities, with a lightsaber, not spirtual abilites like Force-heal. Their no idication he really learned anything but the most basic force abilites prior to his duel with Vader in RTOJ (other then his force choke on the Gammorans which I doubt he learned from Ben or Yoda and dos'nt seem that hard to do, since Baby Yoda can do it on instint)

And why were at it his dueling abilites seem to be self-taught between ANH and ESB, since Obi-Wan only had time to give him one blaster-deflection lession and Yoda apparently did'nt teach him ANY sparring (i suppose he could have done so of-screen)

Sarge and Ricardo Funes like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 30x Wacky Wednesday Winner! star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    It may require very precise timing - if you jump too late, you're not "far enough into hyperspace" and you smash into the shields, if you jump too early, you're already all the way into hyperspace before you hit, and you pass straight through harmlessly.

AndrewPascoe and Sarge like this.
  17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    The ESB duel is NOT simply about "COMBAT abilities" [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    wobbits and Darth Nobunaga like this.
  18. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Wether or not it exists in the current canon before now is'nt really the point that I'm making, moreso that the concept is not a new one (and its worth noting that the EU WAS canon before being scrapped, so it's more the the ability is simply being recanonized (as many things have been over the years)

Revyl Ren likes this.
  19. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    That's a good point, actually. And the size of the ships in qestion relative to each other could have factored in as well; the Supremacy was huge and standing still. Still, bringing it up in the movie after two years just to lampshade it really served no other point then to please those in the audiance who had an issue with it. The tactic is certinally a known one though, as evidence by Hux's reaction, so while it might be difficult its not unheard of.

True, but aside from his jump, his flip and pulling his saber too him Luke was mostly relying on his martial abilities. The biggest display of the Force in the fight came from Vader with the boxes.

Although its worth pointing out that the OT duels in general had relativly little use of the Force compared to the fights we later got in the Prequels and other elements of the lore

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    When I say easily achievable, I mean that there was absolutely NOTHING that Kylo Ren had ever done prior to that scene, to prepare him for Force healing. He was a 100% devoted dark side user until about one hour prior. Rey was dead for minutes. She wasn't "dead". She was dead. This was a resurrection for all intents and purposes.

You can all use any headcanon or any far-fetched explanation for anything shown in the movie. I personally was not convinced at all for a great many deal of events that happen in that movie. The display of such powerful usage of pretty much and kind of Force demonstration anyone can think of, degenerates the Force and makes it less important. Where are the emotional stakes if people can Force lift, heal, resurrect, etc anything and anyone either without much effort or simply because the script demands it? I don't like the idea of all powerful Force users that can do whatever they want.

Green Gogol, wobbits and 77FN like this.
  21. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    That's a good catch and an excellent point, though its also possible that SHE's just hearing about the abilites the first time from reading the texts and that to others the knowladge is fairly widespread (or at least was before the Purge).

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I could go with "widespread before the Purge" - given how much of a thing Healing was for Legends Jedi.

Even in the newcanon, there's Jedi whose speciality is doctoring, Healing, etc:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rig_Nema

23. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    He was a Jedi for an inderiminate amount of time until he was at least twenty-four. And their's no reason to assume Force healing is resticted to the Light Side and nothing that should stop a sith from being able to do it other then them being to selfish to care.

Of a freshly-desceased person. It seems pretty self-evident he could'nt have rivived a rotting corpse

Neither do I but that's not what's implied at all. Is the idea of being being able to cure a scar or mend a broken bone really that out their compared to all the other things we've seen Force-users be capable of? Kylo brings Rey back to life yes, but only at the cost of his own life, other then that the only uses we've seen of it are pretty mundane

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    According to the Visual Dictionary, Luke began training him when he was 10.

25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Ok first of all, there is absolutely nothing self-evident in the ST. So little makes sense in the entire movie, that I do not dare assume anything.

I don't really care if he dies or not while resurrecting her. I only said that the resurrection itself opens a huge can of worms. And it does. You are not going to convince me otherwise. I don't know how many times we have to go back to the same argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.