main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rise of Skywalker - Reviews/Reactions Thread (See Warning On Page 98)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthKegs, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    After watching the movie 3 times now, I can honestly say that at least my interest is SW is back again.. yes, the movie had its issues and felt rushed but at least I look forward to books and comics that will hopefully explore all the questions.. after TLJ I lost interest in almost everything SW related for 2 years...

2. Zdarlight

Zdarlight Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2016
    This this this. Death for the Jedi has never been represented as an end in any of the Star Wars canon. I understand the sense of loss (as with the death of any character), but I'm getting quite tired of seeing people saying that they've betrayed Ben/Kylo's character by killing him off and that he's been wasted. Now that he's turned and redeemed himself, it's incredibly likely that we'll be seeing him again - heck, with the themes of resurrection explored in this film, it might even be in a corporeal form. As a big Kylo fan, I'd be more irritated if he'd been killed without the redemption: then he really WOULD be gone.

3. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I've seen it twice. I enjoy it. I enjoy it about as much as TFA, but not as much TLJ (which I consider one of my favorite Star Wars films). TFA and TRoS are both really fun films. They have the surface level excitement that makes Star Wars fun and the depth of heart that keeps me coming back. There are decisions in both films that I don't enjoy. I would prefer less OT imagery overall in the ST (which, I think, TFA is the worst) and primarily with TRoS I'm not a fan of Rey Palpatine, although after some reading I'm come around a little bit more into it.

More specifically with TRoS, it does feel like firehose in the beginning and doesn't quite accomplish the feat of justifying the ST as the natural conclusion of the Star Wars saga. Star Wars as a whole, however, is a bit of a mess of a franchise with little to no planning and tons of retcons and plot points that don't quite gel with each other. Do I wish the ST had been more successful as this and made the franchise feel more cohesive overall? Sure, but as it is now most of the major flaws in my mind are par for the course for the saga.

Anyway, point is I liked it.

Tan-Wessel, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I've talked about this before among the movies threads in Community, but I just can't figure out how/why some people watch the same theatrical movie multiple times in a single opening weekend. But I guess, to each, their own. As long as you keep quiet and don't keep whispering to your partner, "watch this scene...watch this scene", I've got no qualms about it. I saw the movie on Sunday, and even then I was still concerned about sitting near people who'd already seen it before.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    StampidHD280pro likes this.
  5. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    With blockbusters I always tend to watch them at least 2 times in the cinema.. just to fully appreciate the spectacle and effects. But I never spoil it for people around me.. I just walk in as if I watch the movie for the first time...

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's cool. When I knew I was seeing the movie this Sunday, I stayed away from the Forum since it's release and at least attempted to avoid the Internet news. I know the vulture Geek sites just couldn't wait to feature headlines like, "PALPATINE'S GRANDDAUGHTER IT IS!!!!!" They certainly ruined TFA with hints that something happens to Han within days of the movie's release.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  7. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I don't usually except for Star Wars. It is special and I want to savor it.

8. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    People looking forward to Ben Solo or Rey returning for further adventures, I hope you mean just books and comics. We just got an entire trilogy with them. That's really all you're gonna get. Back in the day, all we had was three movies! I know we're being completely spoiled by Disney with all this constant new material, but give the actors and the story itself the time and respect to age properly and sink in. Don't be such greedy Greedos!:p

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm sure in the not-too-distant future we'll see prequel novels and/or comics involving Ben Solo & Rey (independently); sort of like what Rebel Rising was with Jyn's character to R1.

11. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Okay just finished my second viewing and my opinions improved a fair bit. Some more scattershot thoughts.

Pacing is still breakneck with characters showing up in scenes way too quickly. It’s not as jarring as the first viewing because I know it’s coming but JJ just does not understand letting scenes breath or characters to stop and think. One of the things I liked MOST about TLJ was every how the scenes flowed from one to the next. JJ nailed it with The introduction of Rey but couldn’t maintain it for TFA or TROS.

I was skeptical from the leaks about liking Bendemption or Rey Skywalker but I’ve come around. I loved the idea of Rey dying a Palpatine and being reborn as a Skywalker but felt Ben needed more lines. Maybe it’s just me but after two viewings one of the things that feels at odds with TFA and TLJ is how little dialogue Adam is given in TROS. He and Daisy absolutely chewed scenes in the previous two films and while Adam is equally as good with delivering a physicality to the role I feel he just needed a whole lot more dialogue especially at the end. His last line in the film is literally “ow”. That’s a terrible last line for the male lead of your trilogy. He couldn’t have said anything during the end? Really?

I really liked Zorri but felt that D-O and Jannah were not necessary.

One thing I’ve seen posted is that RJ backed JJ into a corner and this convoluted movie was the only answer but I strongly disagree. There is a great skeleton of a movie in TROS but it’s absolutely buried under Mcguffins and editing. By trimming a lot of the fat more time could’ve been devoted to more intriguing storylines and fleshing out the ones that we had.

Get rid of the mcguffins to find the mcguffins. Pasanna, Kef-Bir and Kijimi could all have been condensed into a singular planet where the gang goes to find single holocron which points them to Exegol. No need for ochi’s ship, the Sith dagger and a forbidden language. Hell maybe it could’ve been Anakins holocron they were searching for giving directions to the unknown regions. The VD could’ve expanded on that as him trying to piece the puzzle pieces to find Mortis.

Regardless we did not need 3 planets to have Rey fail to get a way finder. That felt wasted. There’s a more natural narrative that could’ve still included background on Reys parents, why it’s difficult to find Exegol and have the cool flash force fight. Then they could’ve spent more time with other characters like Finn’s somewhat wasted potential in a FO rebellion or saving child soldiers.

Anyways I’ll have more thoughts after a 3rd viewing. Don’t misunderstand I do enjoy this movie. It’s fun and I love our trio of heroes and Ben/Kylo. I don’t know why JJ decided to try and cram in all this extra unnecessary plot.

12. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    So if death is the final objective of a Jedi, why didn't he let Rey achieve her final objective?

13. niccalas_cage

niccalas_cage Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 2010
    Wasn't terrible, but wasn't really good either. Definitely no reason for me to go back for a second viewing in the theater or perhaps anywhere else ever for that matter. Total apathy for it

14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Cameo Jedi in TROS:
    Is there a difference between ascending/Ghost and Rey hearing their voice?

Angelique Perrin (Adi Gallia)
    Freddie Prinze Jr. (Kanan Jarrus)
    Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon Jinn)
    Ewan McGregor and Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan Kenobi)
    Jennifer Hale (Aayla Secura)
    Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker)
    Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano)
    Olivia D’Abo (Luminara Unduli)
    Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu)
    Frank Oz (Yoda)

15. Semoog

Semoog Jedi Padawan

May 4, 2019
    I was supposed to go watch the movie on Wednesday but when I realized Rey Palpatine Skywalker was real and I heard about the Reylo kiss I thought I couldn't take it. So I was not planning to see this in theaters.
    However, yesterday my family wanted to go... It took some convincing but I went with them.
    It's a flawed movie, the beginning was rough and I wish there wasn't a kiss but...
    I really liked the movie!
    Not sure how this is possible but I'm happy.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's too soon for her. Timing is everything. The Force will let her know when it's time to move on.

"Twilight is upon me and soon night must fall. That is the way of things... the way of the Force."

burg2774, Starkiller17 and Tan-Wessel like this.
  17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Just came back from another viewing. I am in love with this film.

I had it at 8/10, but now, it is a clear and easy 10/10. I will see this film many many more times in the next days. Many !

The Star Wars heart, the Star Wars emotions, are strong with this film. For me this is Star Wars perfection, not because it does not have flaws, but because it has its heart in the right place.

Packed theater as well. Everyone loved it, great reactions during the movie and on the exit.

I sat next to a little girl, she was enjoying it immensely. I felt like a 8 year old again.

18. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I just don't see that timing concept in any of the saga, not even in the quote you shared.

Plus Yoda clearly tells Anakin in ROTS to let go of his attachment to the physical world and embrace the death of a loved one, even rejoicing in it.

wobbits likes this.
  19. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Great post Ricardo

20. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I saw it in Orlando on opening night.

The audience was very reactive. A ton of people were dressed in costumes. Everyone laughed and jeered. I actually enjoyed the banter between Poe and Finn a lot! Everyone seemed to, as well. The biggest jeers came when Kylo threw his saber into the water and when Rey passed Anakin’s to him. Everyone was behind Ben Solo, the whole audience stood up and clapped when he shrugged all cockily at the Knights. It was invigorating. They were loud when he knuckles appeared on the edge of the pit. Huge cheers for the kiss. And a huuuuge collective gasp when he died. Like a sudden complete silence just clouded over the theater.

I hated that Rey is a Palpatine. I had a feeling going in Ben would die. I still feel bitter and like Disney completely wasted such a great opportunity. I want to see so much more of the Ben Solo that has similar mannerisms to Han.

I’m seeing it again tomorrow. As I’ve had a few days to reflect, I feel like my anger has burned out a bit and I’ll be able to enjoy it more and move pass this “bargaining” stage lol.

jeangreyforever likes this.
  21. Emperor McClane

Emperor McClane Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2019
    Just returned from my second viewing. Still like it, despite having a bunch of negative people beside me. These guys were constantly commenting and raising their arms. When leaving heard another guy from the group talikng to them, he was like "this was more entertaining than 7 and 8, which you also hate" and so on. Seriously if you hate 7 and 8 too, why even bother with 9? As soon as rey did something they were like, no no no. Even during typical star wars Moments. If you hate it why even bother and ruining it for others? To be fair the guy next to me said to me after the movie that he was sorry if he runied my movie experience due to his comments, which was nice. I told him that I see it for the second time and appreciate his apology, and told him all good, it didn't bother me that much.
    Noticed that I would like to see it in english, just saw the German Version twice now. Some jokes don't work that good in German and the voices have less emotion. There was another Problem, they translated spice. If I am not mistaken we know it here also as spice, however in the German translation it sounded like they talk about smuggling actual spices.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  22. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    I need to keep this in my perspective. I’ve felt betrayed/bitter about him dying because I feel like it’s a huge waste. But in reality, what I wanted to see more was his redemption and we whole heartedly got that. You’re 100% correct. I would’ve been more upset if he died and we didn’t get to see him embrace being Ben Solo again.

23. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    People were actively jeering in the cinema? They stood up and clapped during the film? That sounds truly hideous and I just can't imagine that ever happening over here in Scotland.

24. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    Yeah! I’ve had claps and laughs in movies before. This was definitely more than I’ve ever had. I’m from San Francisco so I attributed it to being in Disney World terrain. It wasn’t that distracting as they all dialed down pretty quickly. It was... appropriate reactions, I guess?

25. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    Looking forward to viewing number 2 soon. It's always hard to watch a SW film first time around as you viewing it through a filter of nerves/anxiety etc. There are so many moments that I cannot wait to see again!

Chris_Fives and Ricardo Funes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.