main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    JJ Abrams created a bigger tangle of conflicts worse than pre-WW1.

And no you're not going to change the mind of Consoomers.

Shadao likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No one ever understands sarcasm on the internet

DominusNovus and MeBeJedi like this.
  3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Rian created it. JJ just made it worse.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Do you think it was possible for JJ to do better with what he was given?

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Abrams ignored the budding romance between Finn and Rose in TLJ, and he could have ignored TLJ’s Reylo vibes as well.

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    On some respects yes. The plot could have been better, he could have NOT done what he did with Rey and Kylo, he could have not introduced multiple new characters that weren't needed, or done ANOTHER "planet killing super-weapon" plot. Used Finn better, not turned Poe into just "Latin Han Solo," given Sheev a better plan, explained some things better, etc.

Rian left a mess so a lot of this is on him, but JJ isn't blameless either.

7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Definitely. I think its intentional. Unlike what someone from RLM would want you to believe, I don't think George made Anakin whiny because he didn't understand being "likable." It was clearly intended. Even when Hayden asked if this is the character George wanted, George adamantly said this what the character needed to be at this point in time. If Anakin started Episode II as ROTJ Luke, it would be disingenuous as the man who fails to overcome his demons can never reach that level of maturity. Makes sense a teen Vader would be a bit selfish. Plus, George loves his parallels and you can definitely pick up parallels between ANH Luke and AOTC Anakin.

Speaking of which, I love when he nosedives the speeder and is laughing while Obi-Wan is having a panic attack [face_laugh]

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Point taken

DominusNovus likes this.
  9. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I thought Lucas and Christensen made a nice course-correction in ROTS, emphasizing Anakin's nobility in the first act and fragility in the second (and believe me, I didn't care for the character as he was rendered in a number of AOTC scenes). His descent, though deemed "rushed" by some, was still tremendously affecting.

From what I've read here and in other venues, Abrams failed to do the same with Kylo. (And in this instance, said failure falls squarely on the director/writer's shoulders, as Adam Driver is among the finest actors of his generation.)

10. Darth Hater

Darth Hater Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2016
    TPM being a maligned launch is only because it subverted some peoples' expectations. TPM and ROTS were both #1 in the BO, AOTC was #2 its year, behind Spiderman. TPM was kinda necessary to have that relationship between Anakin and Shmi -- his boyish love for a mother helps make his going postal on the Tuskens more understandable.

[​IMG]
    Denying tacos... that's a serious commitment.
    I'm not buying their comics, etc., because I was not left with any reason to have an attachment to the ST.

11. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Maybe, but it will almost certainly break 1 billion, which will be easy to spin into a success story. And let's be real, by most conventional metrics, it is a success story. :(

12. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Absolutely. He could've written a story that made sense within the trilogy and the saga, even after RJ's setup. He could have killed Reylo and possibly even shown the privileged, entitled Nazi being punished in even the most perfunctory way for terrorizing the gffa. He chose "None of the above."

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I knew going in there was no way Kylo would not be redeemed. I knew that since TFA

leelaamidala, kalzeth and MeBeJedi like this.
  14. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Yea some are saying JJ ignored or trashed was Rian did. Some of that is true. Still JJ again had Kylo asking Rey to take his hand and rule the galaxy with him. So he must have liked that.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They were nobody remember?

16. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    So many scenes looks so weird somehow, especially Rey and Kylo's. Their scene with Chewie ""death"" was so bad.
    Rey: Chewiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie
    Rey: :eek:
    Kylo:
    Rey::eek:
    Kylo:
    *cut scene*

17. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Kylo: Watch Rey walk to ship and just turn around and...leave peacefully?

18. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Yes, quoting this because 1 like is not enough.

19. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    The problem is he made Kylo and Ben almost two separate people. It was like a Jekyll and Hyde scenario or as if there was some demonic possession that suddenly left. Its like, “oh you’re Ben now. Yay Kylo is gone.”
    I think that exposition scene where Kylo gives a soliloquy about being conflicted is meant to be the driving force behind that idea. He might as well have said, “I’m going to be good again. Just wait for the third movie.”

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That's what I mean I don't know why anyone thought he would die evil

21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Did anyone find Hux's death to be unintentionally comical?

Like beyond the corny "Im the spy!" moment, the way he just flies back after getting shot seemed so sudden, that for a second I thought the audience needed to laugh.

22. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    The thing is Bendemption didn't have to dive all in to the reylo dumpster. It also should not have involved Rey without giving her a reason to gas. And no, being hot for abuse is not a "reason" I will accept in SW.

23. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  24. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    I thought it was intentionally comical.

ImpKnight and Deliveranze like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As of the end of TLJ with him having become Supreme Leader, it looked a logical outcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.