main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Actually, from what we've heard in Bob Iger's book, it seems that Lucas believed and intended that he would be some kind of creative consultant on the ST and that his treatments would be used. He was still under this impression when Abrams, Kasdan and Kennedy all had a face to face meeting with him and told him they were going in a different direction, creatively, with the ST. This meeting occurred after the sale had gone through. Additionally, Iger says that Kennedy was a last minute appointment by Lucas before the sale that he made without consulting Iger or Disney.

I think the picture is this: Lucas wanted the ST to get made, to finish off the saga, but didn't want to be a director or even a producer like on the OT/PT. He wanted some other role where he retained some degree of creative oversight. He also didn't want to have to run the company, and of course wanted to cash out as well. I think he brought Kennedy on board in part because he thought she would help him as a friendly ally at LFL after he'd sold. It appears he was wrong, and was very surprised and upset when they didn't use his treatments. After that, he was out. Any further involvement appears to have been ceremonial.

2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Or they started out as something else in pre-production and then during production and post-production changed purpose but not the look.

Like why the resemblance to this? https://boards.theforce.net/posts/56231776/

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Glitterstimm likes this.
  3. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    They looked like toys from a cereal box. Honest yes that is probably the answer.

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

I think there is question of how much GL viewed the ST as an essential part of his story, or whether it was more that if they were to be made they should be his stories. 1-6 is still a complete story.

KSennia, leelaamidala and griffon2k like this.
  5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Why is this distinction relevant?

Immortiss likes this.
  6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Honestly, I have no idea what a wayfinder or a holocron is. And I don't care to know.

7. Skywalker Family

Mar 15, 2017
    Episode We Give up 7-9 Never Happened.

kalzeth, ami-padme, 2Cleva and 4 others like this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Because in one scenario he would view the story as forever incomplete (like having never made ROTJ). The other he still views there as being a complete story.

9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    There is also a dagger which is de facto a way-finder for the actual way-finder

kalzeth, cwustudent, avcpl and 5 others like this.
  10. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    How so? Im curious, because I read a lot of comments that say plot hole this or explanation that, but in many instances it just is irrelevent. Not everything needs or should be explained. In fact id even suggest that this need of the fanbase has ventured all the way into disney headquarters in the sense of them now over explaining for the only reason but to abide by a rabid fanbase which is a repeatable market for them.

Im not even asking for you to go in depth but just genuinely curious what you think needs explaining.

11. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Dang it. I clicked on a youtube video about Reylo thinking it was some parody but it was an actual pro-Reylo video. Now every 5th video I see is a Reylo video.

12. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    You have over 12,000 posts here and don't know what a holocron is?

Where do you post?

13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    There is a general misconception about the explanation need. For many people it's not about knowing the "why" of things for the sake of it. The problem is that when too many inexplicable things happen, we get distracted by the lack of understanding of basic plot points and it ends up being damaging for the entertainment of the movie, because it's more difficult to feel involved while we are confused about what's going on.

14. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Idk if anyone has shared this one yet, but this guy gets it.

15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    He liked TLJ though ;)

16. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    That doesn't affect his ability to analyze RoS, from what I can tell.

17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes I'm aware. I was joking.

18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    BTW are we allowed to include TLJ is our rants in this thread?

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "The role of Rose Tico (Kelly Marie Tran) in “The Rise of Skywalker” is noticeably reduced from “The Last Jedi,” and Brandon said that came down to Abrams choosing to tell a different story.
    “There were a lot of characters in the film, and because J.J. wanted to make this film about a journey of the three main friends and then Rey’s conflict with Kylo Ren, it became very hard to service a lot more characters,” Brandon said. “She’s an important character in the Resistance, and we tried very hard to show that in the film, and I think we did, but the film just really couldn’t handle much more character stories.”

a journey of the three main friends = Finn and Poe having no idea where's Rey because she and Kylo are in their lightsaber battle #30

20. Skywalker Family

Mar 15, 2017
    These Interviews are making me sleepy.

21. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Thats why im asking for examples. Not everything needs to be stated so explicitly, and often times people run rampant on needless moments. Im not the biggest fan of either JJ films, but ive heard people whine and complain about the Lightsabre in a box moment--this this is somehow critical to the story at hand. Its not.

22. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    'Why can't you guys just enjoy a story for what it is'

23. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    How is Palpatine back, why does he need Kylo for anything,how were those ships built and how were they staffed, wtf was the deal with Snoke, what are all those hooded people in the arena, how did they find exogul without the wayfinders, why do the wayfinders exist, why is Ochi's ship just sitting there untouched, why is Lando still on Pasana, why didn't Ochi look for Rey if he found her parents 5 minutes after they sold her, why did the FO capture Chewie and not bother to look for his cohorts, why did Kylo just let Rey get in Ochi's ship and leave, why did everyone show up for Lando after they ignored Leia for a solid year...do you need more? I'm sure I could come up with more.

Also, how TF did they fall through quicksand into a tunnel without quicksand falling into the tunnel?!?

kalzeth, wobbits, griffon2k and 13 others like this.
  24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I do have the answer to this single question: Rey finds the second way-finder in Kylo's ship and send the signal to the Resistance. They establish it with one line of dialogue.

I agree, not everything needs to be stated explicitly or, as people who want to be passive aggressive love to say, we don't need to be "spoon fed".
    However, when the lack of understanding is an obstacle to follow major plot points I generally find it disturbing. In the case of TROS, for example, I really struggled to even understand the main characters' motivation throughout the movie, and ideally it shouldn't be like that.

25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Not old republic or pre-republic era films.

Being thousands and thousands of years away from the ST era helps with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.