main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    At the risk of not hating on TROS enough, all of those “Huh?” type of issues listed above permeate the entire saga if one was to micro-analyse each film.

2. MasterDekan

MasterDekan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 14, 2005
    I'm not opposed to Force healing as an act of selfless compassion for someone tragically harmed. I can even get on board with it coming with a cost of some of your own life force. With that prerequisite, it would make sense that a Sith would not uncover the secret as their use of the Force is selfish and possessive. It would also be logical that Yoda and Mace's Jedi Order would forbid it given the temptation for it to be abused and encourage or exacerbate attachments.

All of that said, it simply does not work narratively without building up to it, and given the logic of the Force established over the PT and OT, it is not an easy feat to could be stumbled onto and mastered without effort. The biggest problem with much of the Force use in the ST is that the writer/directors make no effort to show their work.

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I agree that the probelm with Force Healing isn't thematic, it's the fact it's introduced out of nowhere.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I disagree, TFA was fine on that point of view. It's far from perfect but I didn't have many problems in following the plot smoothly enough. For TLJ and TROS this is not the case. There is the need to discuss about it extensively and build stuff up which wasn't on screen in order to clarify major aspects of the plot.

5. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    No, I meant how did all those hooded figures find exogul without a wayfinder. Heck, how did Plapy find it if his wayfinder was on the DS2?
    Nope, GL was pretty efficient about giving us enough exposition to tell a functional story. This is the hater's thread, and yet you are here once again defending RoS. Mariah Carey has a question for you.

6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Khan's magic healing blood 2.0.

https://boards.theforce.net/posts/56211532/

7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Wait, Palpy is not the dude who created the wayfinder in the first place?

8. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    I love this man.

9. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I wouldn't have included it in the first place, but yeah, that's my biggest issue with it.

Anakin ruined his whole life and plunged the galaxy into darkness for that power, and you just drop it into your film on a whim like it's no big deal; No setup, there's no epic quest or specific ritual or training needed to unlock it. It just happens, completely out of nowhere, with no explanation.

All I can think of is that this random "Dyad" is the strongest power in the history of Star Wars and not even the chosen one born of the Force itself can hope to match it. In which case, why did the Jedi ever care about the Chosen One prophecy when the Fifty Shades of Rey prophecy was way more effective?

10. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Idek, why would he have the map in his throne room if he didn't need it? Or if he knew, why wouldn't he just tell Ochi instead of Ochi needing a knife map to the wayfinder? How did he hook up with Ochi in the first place to send him to kill his son?
    Literally none of it makes sense.

kalzeth, ImpKnight, griffon2k and 2 others like this.
  11. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    When you pair a Palpy and Skywalker I guess you get a Dyad. I feel like I'm having a stroke when I'm typing this ****.

KSennia, wobbits, skybender and 14 others like this.
  12. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Pointing out that quirks, plot holes and inconsistencies appears to be a staple ingredient of these movies and present in the other instalments is not defending TROS. Pretty much like clarifying my position to you on other aspects was not defending TROS.

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Except the probelm with that was that it solves death without consequence. Here it requires a life for a life, so it's not a Sith power. As @Def Trooper said, it's the way it's introduced. It could have worked well with ROTS.

griffon2k and godisawesome like this.
  14. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I’m actually especially afraid for movies set in the old era, because those will likely set up that “I am all the Sith” nonsense.

15. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    I think TFA is an amazing movie that restarted the saga very well. I don't like it when they say the whole trilogy is weak. I wish episode VIII and IX were REALLY a direct continuation of the seventh movie, not a FanFiction. Instead of a coward Luke, Snoke split into two, Canto Bight and so on.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I mean....

"All the way back to--with the Force and the Jedi and everything--the whole concept of how things happen was laid out completely from [the beginning] to the end. But I never got to finish. I never got to tell people about it...

If I'd held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told." -- George Lucas, James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction

Sounds a lot like he considers the story incomplete now.

An okay movie? A good movie? Sure, I can at least understand someone saying those things about TFA, even if I don't agree. But an amazing movie? What exactly is so amazing about TFA? What would a film historian forty years from now get out of watching TFA that would lead them to conclude that it's a remarkable film from this era?

17. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    You're defending the movie in the hater's sanctuary. I would ask if you missed the sign on the door, but we all know you're just here to troll. Should I venture back out into the other threads so you can follow me around some more and leave my fellow hater's in peace?

Immortiss, wobbits, ImpKnight and 8 others like this.
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Ok, well, the dagger map to the way-finder is beyond ridiculous as a concept, I think there is a general consensus on this, even outside this thread.

19. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Here's what the Visual Dictionary has to say about it. Not sure how Rey is able to tell the Resistance how to get to Exogol, given the explanation:
    [​IMG]

20. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Yeah...

George Lucas: “Everybody hated it in [The] Phantom Menace [when] we started to talk about midi-chlorians. There’s a whole aspect to that movie that is about about symbiotic relationships. To make you look and see that we aren’t the boss. That there’s an ecosystem here.” “[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.” “Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we were just cars, vehicles, for the Whills to travel around in…We’re vessels for them. And the conduit is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force.” “All the way back to – with the Force and the Jedi and everything – the whole concept of how things happen was laid out completely from [the beginning] to the end. But I never got to finish. I never got to tell people about it.” “If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did [The] Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.” “I don’t [work for them] anymore. I don’t work for anybody anymore. I’m [a] free person. I have my own will.” (May 15, 2018 – James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction show companion book) (archive)

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/08/s...oks-dooku-connection-leia-hutts-lucas-vision/ (August 2014)

I'm just too afraid to see this gang's take on it at this point because Variety said they're looking into it.

https://variety.com/2019/film/features/star-wars-kathleen-kennedy-david-benioff-db-weiss-1203388611/ (October 30, 2019)

21. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Sooooo...Plapy took a ship to exogul after he exploded into little pieces on the ds? I mean, sure, why not:rolleyes:

kalzeth, wobbits, cwustudent and 8 others like this.
  22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    So he was just lying when he said that he considered nothing to have happened after ROTJ story wise? I think shortly before the sale he became interested in delving into Force lore and it's origins and viewed the ST as a vehicle for that. Therefore I suspect, if he were given to the opportunity to tell the story in another period (Jedi Origins perhaps) that he would view it as complete. Notice how he focuses upon the lore aspects and how the Force works, rather than the character drama? That's what he wants told to complete his story.

23. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I’m not following you, your content isn’t that interesting. Or coherent.

I’ll say it again for those hard of understanding. Pointing out that TROS has similar flaws to the rest of the saga is not by default or otherwise, defending it.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Where in the 76 seconds that Rose is on screen does it show how important her role was in this story? Kelly Marie got screwed and these people are lying to themselves about it.

kalzeth, avcpl, 2Cleva and 4 others like this.
  25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    So you do confirm me that the Plapy who explodes in the DS is supposed to be the same person as the Plapy of TROS ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.