main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I Have A Bad Feeling About This - The "Haters" Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I swear Lucasfilm have more characters like this in their new movies (Lor San Tekka, Maz Kanata, Chirrut) than ACTUAL Jedi.
    And to top it all off - when you go to Galaxy's Edge they have yet another crew of "Jedi experts" to help you build your lightsaber... rather than... you guessed it... actual Jedi.

There is something so astoundingly amiss here.

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Sidious, Dooku, and Maul.

AgentCoop and ami-padme like this.
  3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    My point is that, yes, he views it as incomplete, but not necessarily in the character sense perhaps. I don't think he was that interested in telling the story of Luke, Han and Liea. Their story is what he was, and probably still is, content as having finished in ROTJ. What I do think that he views as incomplete is the story of how the Force works. That's what he views as being needing to be put to film. This is why alot of his meetings with JJ seem to be about the Force. That's why he said he hopes the Force doesn't become convoluted. He probably would have preferred it to be told in the ST, but I don't believe he thinks the character drama is incomplete the way that it would have been without the PT. I still think he views it as the story of Anakin Skywalker, but he wants it told how the Force works, etc.

I don't know for sure but it's the sense I get from his statements.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  4. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    That works in the context of one off films but enjoying something especially a universe needs more otherwise anyone can do anything, anything can happen and there are no consequences which in many cases just ruins the stories.

5. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    The Lando/Jannah situation is really weird. They needed to either put back the fact he had a missing child, or remove the last Lando/Jannah scene. Naomi plays it with such a wide-eyed innocent look, and it looks like she's realizing something very important. But without the backstory, it's a very weird scene. Honestly, I'm glad I read the leaks before I saw the film because otherwise I don't think I'd have been able to follow along.

Is that why Rey was so attracted to this vision of "Ben"??? Because she saw he was a mute and therefore wouldn't have to put up with any of his nonsense?

6. jediela83

jediela83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I get why you feel that but the way I regard it is if I let any part of the ST ruin any part of the Lucas SW movies then I let Disney win and I am far too stubborn to let that happen. My head canon is that the ST is alternative universe so in context of the first 6 films I totally ignore it. It doesnt make me any less angry about what a wasted opportunity the ST turned out to be though

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

KSennia, Hernalt, kalzeth and 8 others like this.
  7. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Yeah, angry as I am with how the ST turned out, I just have to push it out of mind and carry on. It means nothing to me any more. I have my SW canon: the OT; reluctantly, but necessarily, the PT; plus R1; some limited classic EU material.... In my hubris I even include my own personal fanfic as canon; on the days that I allow TFA to exist in the same space: I know my episodes VIII and IX are far superior. :p

I have many other interests, and I pursue them with renewed enthusiasm as the new decade dawns.

8. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    If there’s an orchestra near you that’s playing one of the OT movies, go. Seeing ANH with an orchestra and a crowd that was cheering it on got me past the ST, or at least so I could watch the OT again without thinking of the ST. Especially seeing kids brought by their parents and a tiny Princess Leia and young Obi Wan. Why Disney LFL decided to throw that away for the ST is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

9. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    **** outta here.......

What a mess.

TCF Edit: Hey, sacred forum, watch the language.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2020
  10. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    That's what he gets for leaving his script where he did...lol

11. MasterDekan

MasterDekan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 14, 2005
    tRoS clearly showed a zombie Palpatine, and suggested that Sith alchemy (would have been nice to explore/explain) was responsible for him. I take it that Palpatine was actually killed on DS2, but a Sith acolyte recovered what left of his body, cloned it (hence no deformities) and used Sith techniques to bind Palpatine's spirit to it from the Netherworld. This probably could only be done and maintained on Exegol (or maybe Korriban/Moraband) , given that it's a well of dark side energy - which would explain why Palpatine never left. The process is probably also imperfect, causing accelerated decomposition - this would explain Palpatine's desire for Rey, to use her as a vessel.

Have I said I hate mystery boxes? Because this is why I hate mystery boxes. You have to essentially create story to fill in gaps that should not exist.

kalzeth, Shadao, Def Trooper and 9 others like this.
  12. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    You are referring to the artistry of filmmaking just like i am. The reason you find things unclear is because like i said before, it is a sloppy mess. People are overthinking aspects of the film which they want to be there, but are not. Palpatine wants Rey so that she can take the Sith throne. Its as simple as that. When he magically learns he can continue on by sucking the lifeforce from these two, he makes that choice instead.

And im not skipping over the film. Im mentioning the key events. Thats part of the problem with it; a lot of pointless moments here, likely tossed in to please fans but in turn only making less focused film.

13. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    That one needs a bloody book to explain essential components of the film's plot, which in themselves are still not that clear, says just how bad a job TROS does of making any sense at all.

14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    In principle, mystery boxes should be just the promise of a payoff. The viewer gets intrigued, they start making hypothesis, and then boom, there is the big reveal, and we're all like wow! Now everything makes sense!
    With JJ this is not the case. He just uses mysteries without a purpose, as if they were like any other artistic tool.
    Take for example Rey's vision. It ended up being just a mix of uncorrelated scenes having very little to do with the lightsaber.

KSennia, Hernalt, Shadao and 2 others like this.
  15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    That and half of what JJ regards as mysteries when he applies mystery boxes to stuff like ANH, are legit just plot points that will be explained in the next scene. He sees set up and pay off as a mystery, and decides to one-up it.....and thus has no real plot aside from one mystery box to another

16. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    YEAH, NO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2020
  17. MasterDekan

Jun 14, 2005
    Lando is a sauve, affectionate guy, so I can see how that could blur the line for some, but given his story about children abducted from his planet, I took it that he was genuinely interested in helping her find out where she belongs.

Miriedis likes this.
  18. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Two more months and I can see ROTJ in all of its glory. Am curious what the audience is gonna be like.

19. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    I'm talking about the last one. It was the worst by a long shot.

Don't make the mistake that "listening to the fans" means "doing what you and people like you want to do".

This was an attempt to not anger anybody and it was not good. Felt much more like an EU or comic book story. Had this been part of Rebels, I'd be ok with it.

I'll take TLJ every day over this meh movie.

20. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    TLJ was the epitome of a bunch of hacks being indifferent to, if not being antagonistic to, fans of a franchise.
    The LFL tainted SW by not listening to fans and doing their own thing, that's been the issue with the ST

21. MasterDekan

Jun 14, 2005
    What's missing is Luke's New Jedi Order. LFL acts as if the Jedi had a rule of two (or one). Lowering the number of Jedi doesn't make them special or do anything for balance...

22. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    Couldn't disagree more. I'm sorry you felt antagonized. It didn't feel like a bad video game script.

I liked both of the first two movies and think the blew it with this one. I know that half the fanbase disagrees, but they needed to just lean into it, not try to placate people.

The ST, even with TLJ, would have aged well with a better final chapter.

dogprivilege likes this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    @Gerak ,YOU'RE GONNA NEED TO STOP INSULTING LFL MEMBERS WITH EVEN NON-EXPLICIT DEROGATORY PHRASES. GIVE US ARGUMENTS, NOT INSULTS.
    Finn really should be with Rey at the end on Tatooine, possibly with Poe, Chewie, and Rose. The whole group *should* be part of the family Rey chooses, really, or at least quietly implied as such, especially since Luke got to end ROTJ surrounded by his friends as well.

But Finn was all but bluntly spelled out to be Rey's first found family member in TFA. I think he may have been shoved away from TROS's ending because, again, that relationship between them probably makes the Ben relationship contrast badly even to mainstream audiences.
    (Before I reply, I would like to note this *is* criticism, so it's actually supposed to be here!;))

This is one of the reasons why I feel like someone at LFL should have realized that TROS really wouldn't be making a smart move by trying to compromise between the various fan factions after TFA and TLJ.

"Fan service" was not the right strategy to apply for the third film. Not, in my opinion, because there's anything wrong with knowing what an audience's expectations and hopes are and occasionally trying to match or exceed them; sometimes that actually *is* a smart strategy.

No, the mistake about "fan service" after TFA and TLJ was that the fanbase was effectively split and shattered, and often at directly opposing loggerheads over key issues and ideas. If you really wanted to use some kind of "fan service" strategy, then really, the only way to do that would be to peruse the various fan arguments, find the ones you thought were the strongest and the easiest to try and convince people was either tolerable or actually correct, and then make a damn good movie off of them.

But "appeasing" various factions wasn't the smart play; too many of them were disgusted or just dismissive of what another faction would want most of all.

griffon2k, wobbits, kalzeth and 5 others like this.
  24. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Far too much trying to please the fans or make the fans version. Ultimately they made the film the louder fanbase wanted and now that theyve seen it they realize its not actually what they like about the saga.

The Last Jedi is the only one of the 3 that is remotely Star Wars in terms of themes, mythology, and respecting(to a degree) the original style of the prior films.

Shadao and fugacity like this.
  25. Vorax

Vorax Force Ghost star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Usually when suits place the blame on the concept of fan service they're blaming the audience for their own failure and failure of their product with the general audience as well as the loyal fan base.

I really don't see anything in this movie was designed to titillate the fans or even arouse a general audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.