main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Resistance 2.18-2.19 - The Escape (SERIES FINALE!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 25, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Feb 10, 2020.
  1. 10

10.7%
  2. 9

10.7%
  3. 8

17.9%
  4. 7

25.0%
  5. 6

21.4%
  6. 5

7.1%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

7.1%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 2.18-2.19!!
    The Escape
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney Channel.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Resistance episodes air on Sunday at 10:00 pm ET on Disney Channel. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Over? It was just getting started!

StardustSoldier and indydefense like this.
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    let's hope this show ends on a high note. If there's no tie-ins to TROS there should be no reason why it couldn't of aired much earlier.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Am I the only one hoping that Tam gets deaded?? Really want to see serious consequences for her choice to join the FO.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I wonder how this series will hold up in the long run

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    StardustSoldier likes this.
  6. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Uhh... so that's the breaking point for Tam - bombarding the fish people. And Hosnian Prime just escaped your attention all this time?

Well... it was okay but honestly, once the "season finale so anything could happen" effect is removed this is really just another run of the mill escape from Star Destroyer/Get the Collussus away installment. And that damned droid saves the day again.

Rucklin actually looked like he might be an interesting wildcard for a while there but no, he's just a plain one-dimensional bad guy. I don't even remember what happened to him in the end, nor do I care.

Aside from a happy family reunion ending (which was awfully easy on Tam considering...), the only major thing of import was the rest of the Collussus denizens flipping from "save our own skins" to "fight back!" Which came across as forced more than earned and is the kind of thing you do a lot earlier in a story than this.

6/10 for the episode. Just five minutes since I saw this and it's already failing the test of time. A "6" was what I gave the series premier. Talk about spinning your wheels.

4/10 as a series finale. It obviously wasn't meant to be (but then neither was The Wrong Jedi for TCW but that episode actually works as a finale.)

3/10 for the series as a whole. It's over. Done. Kaput. This show will truly leave no mark on the franchise. What a waste.

TiniTinyTony , Ghost and JH24 like this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Last seen with the executioners when Yeager saved Tam....nothing after that...so I am assuming he got blowed up with the ship.

Would have liked to have seen Kaz use that laser axe...both on the trooper he got it from on the bridge then a fight with Pyre where he chops him in half. But he is the 'hero' so can't do stuff like that.

8. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Oh boy, where to begin?

I thought Tam’s redemption was a bit underwhelming. The only person she really apologized to was Neeku. But her escape was pretty damn clever! I just wish she replaced her comlink with another one in Tierney’s desk drawer.

I did like how everyone on the Colossus joined the fight! I really thought they were going to kill Yeager off being the mentor character and all. I keep thinking about all the mentor characters throughout the series and I’m like “Oh, sure, NOW you don’t kill off the mentor character?!” I love Yeager, but he was one of the characters I wouldn’t have minded being killed off.

I also thought Immanuel (God, I hate that name…) would be killed off as well and Venisa would take his place a a la How To Train Your Dragon 2, but I was wrong. Maybe they’ll have another baby! A victory kid!

Well, they blew up that star destroyer with Pyre, Tierny, and Rucklin still on it. That’s a major win! I kind of hope Rucklin survived, though. I think it’d be good for Kaz to have a rival.

And Yeager said “Team Fireball”! It’s canon, guys!

And that’s it! The big wrap-up, a happy ending, the grand finale! I kind of wish one of the good characters died, though. I mean, we lost Snap and Leia in TROS, it’s only fair that someone good dies in SWRES as well.

I was also hoping for a little more romance between Kaz and Synara, but…sigh.

I was also hoping we’d see Poe, BB-8, and Leia one more time.

I was also hoping Tam would meet Kylo Ren, but I doubt she ever met him. She’ll probably get to meet Finn and Jannah in the future, though. Also, maybe she and Hype can rekindle their friendship and she’ll finally FINALLY join the aces.

Well, at least it’s open-ended and the Colossus crew can appear in future comics, movies, novels, and TV shows!

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  9. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    All around it was a pretty good finale to the series, just wish that all episodes could've been this good 8/10
    +Kylo Ren was used so well in this, he actually felt intimidating and I loved his displays of the Force
    +Enjoyed the happy ending, I've been neutral to these characters but I felt for them in this episode and I'm glad they got what they wanted in the end :)
    +Commander Pyre looked like an absolute badass wielding that laser axe thingey (what are they actually called [face_laugh]?)
    +The action was great
    +CB-23 is the MVP of the entire episode
    -No resolution on some dropped plot points like Eila's force sensitivity and Nena (the FO spy from earlier in the season)
    -The episode wrapped up a bit too quickly at the end, I guess we are to assume that Rucklin and Pyre perished during the explosion?
    -The First Order went stupidly overkill on the Fish People Tribe IMO, I think there were more SD's in that one scene than in Snoke's fleet in TLJ

TiniTinyTony and Sproj like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Underwhelming compared to the last episode. And not one character biting the dust irks me a little. I know Filoni wasn’t hands-on with this one, but dude, let go of some of your characters from time to time.

TiniTinyTony and JediFett10 like this.
  11. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    The finale felt underwhelming. Never did I had the feeling I was watching something epic. It felt more that it was going through the motions and checking off all the boxes on a list.

Tam was the biggest problem. When she finally decided to leave the First Order I felt I didn't care, or not as much as I should have. There was a lack of character development from her in the first season and in the second season, and although they tried to convince us in this finale, I just couldn't feel the connection.

And that made me realize, that although I like Tam as a character, I never really missed her on the Colossus. Kaz, Neeku, Yeager, Synara and Torra already felt like a complete team. They already had a great dynamic with them.

Rucklin was a wasted opportunity. He could have been a wild card in the end, but no, I can't even remember what happened to him.

The scene with the people of the Colossus felt forced and it was at this point I really felt this finale was going to end predictably.

Pyre and Tierny's end (especially Tierny) felt surprisingly dark.

They did absolutely nothing with Kel and Eila's storyline from Tehar.

One thing that irked me the most: Why weren't Kaz, Tam and Yeager handcuffed when taken to the bridge? There's no excuse for that kind of writing.

And so it ends. Like TheCloneWarsForever in a post above me said: This show will not leave a mark. It could just have well not have existed and nothing would have changed. There are episodes I really liked and will remember fondly, but overall this show never reached the potential it could have had. And because this finale played it safe it will not be talked about for long. At least Rebels ended with an event that people are still talking about today.

The ending shot made me smile and was what I was hoping for. The story in this series wasn't much, but I did get attached to the main characters, and that shot was a heartwarming way to remember them by.

Neeku and Tam having a secret code to talk about Kaz's failures did get a laugh out of me.

TiniTinyTony and Sproj like this.
  12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Sadly, this show ends on a note more comparable to the old EU droids series than Clone Wars or even rebels. Forgettable filler that might be worth mining for small bits of lore in a few years, but only very small bits.

The animation did get better in season 2, even visually striking at some points, but the show obviously used up much of its budget during the initial creation and didn't actually offer much new. Disney saw this as a kid's product, and nothing more, and it shows. Damn shame. At best, this shows us an example of what civilians were doing during the era, which is interesting, but it was ultimately squandered and unremarkable.

It's not a bad show, per say, just forgettable. Unlike TCW/Rebels, I can't recommend this to fans with any real enthusiasm. Just those looking for canon completionists, or ST lovers who want a 'bit' more worldbuilding (something the ST often struggled with, and something the show at least attempts a bit, which I appreciate). This show is almost the perfect example of impassionate brand saturation, likely made worse by the serious production challenges between the creations of the entire ST (and I like episode IX!), and that is truly a shame.

Hope they at least release an article pointing out where you can see the Collosus/Fireball in TROS though, because the show's cast did deserve at least that much, and the ending doesn't contradict that idea at all (though it does not show it either).

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The animation is clearly the show’s strong suit, and was absolutely phenomenal in the last episode. Far, far better than the animation in past SW TV shows. Too bad the story couldn’t live up to the artistry. Clearly, the show was cancelled and got truncated.

Sproj likes this.
  14. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Not terrible (the penultimate episode was the best of the season though) but clearly didn't give the feeling of a series finale. Thought the opening scene with Kylo Ren was pretty cool, although the voice they used for him was bad.

While it looked great at times, this whole show wasn't anything more than that. I'm sure I'll forget about every character come tomorrow and quite frankly could care less about seeing them every again in canon. They dropped the ball with how they initially marketed this. Half the episodes had no connection to The Resistance or the Aces or flying. A for effort, D- for execution.

Sproj likes this.
  15. JarJar4Eva

JarJar4Eva Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2005
    Somewhat disappointing as a series finale. I can see a comics series where we see how the Colossus and Fireball made it to the Battle of Exegol. It’s obvious that the writers of Resistance had no idea what was going to happen in TRoS.

indydefense likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I thought the finale was fine. It was nice to see Tam as the central point of the episode. I liked how despite the show's name, the most significant scenes and circumstances involved Tam and her escapades from within the FO perspective. Rucklin was still a d*** to the very end; got what he deserved. I was wondering why Tam didn't just leave him to die on that TIE as opposed to bringing him on board the shuttle with Kaz and Yeager. It was pretty obvious even saving him wasn't going to make him change his mind. Because he had suuuuuch a grudge against everyone on the Colossus for some reason that's still sketchy. Eh whatever. Another show is gone. We'll see what, if anything, happens with these characters moving forward. People have mentioned the Colossus being in the battle of Exegol. Since I've only seen TROS once to date, I didn't catch the glimpse of it being there. Maybe once the video gets released we'll get clear cut images of it circulating on the Net like what happened with the Ghost in R1.

One more thing: I'll try to remember not to ask this again (as I think I've asked this before), but I could've sworn TIEs can't go by themselves through hyperspace.

17. JarJar4Eva

JarJar4Eva Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2005
    This model of TIE has a hyperdrive.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE/sf_space_superiority_fighter

18. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    What a weak series finale

- Nobody we care about dies
    - Kylo Ren was unnecessary
    - First Order gets clowned on by civilians
    - There's no satisfying final showdown
    - ANOTHER STAR DESTROYER BLOWS UP

- How on earth can CB disable the shields from any old access port - why aren't there safeguards in place? Basic access to only First Order droids, for starters
    - Bye Rucklin, literally no one remembered you were on that ship that went kablooie

Sproj likes this.
  19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I thoroughly enjoyed this space battle, but it’s obvious this wasn’t meant to be a series finale.

Overall, this show has been an extreme mixed bag, but I really do think outside of Kaz being a weak link, I have grown to like the characters. In a way, it feels like Resistance was trying to be Lucasfilm’s version of Star Trek TNG (Doza standing in for Picard, Neeku as Data, Aunt Z as Guinan, etc) and it didn’t quite work out, but it was kind of nice to have this series that focused more on character relationships and exploration over the usual combat stuff.

Slapstick NEVER works in Star Wars, so they really gotta steer the hell away from that angle in the future.

Vinylshadow and indydefense like this.
  20. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    -Agent Tierny said "As you know Tamara, treason is punishable by death." Was that a reference to Trevorrow's opening crawl? [face_thinking]

-Nothing happened with those stoway kids! They were so sweet. I kept waiting for them to play a part. :(

-My favorite moment of the show was in this episode: Tam punching Rucklin. [face_beatup]=D=

-We finally got to see some real deaths in the episode! [face_skull] Tierny's demise was cathartic. :p

-Clearly not a series finale, and that's sad. Even though a lot of this series was awful, I loved some aspects of it. A handful of episodes from the two seasons revealed this show's true potential, and that's painful. If only the writers had toned down Kaz's Jar Jar qualities and given us less filler episodes.

-As someone above pointed out, Resistance now sits alongside Droids and Ewoks as canceled Star Wars shows. But that's not all they have in common! The tone of the three shows is similar.

Ahsoka's Tano and Vinylshadow like this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, it's over. Liked the happy ending but it was a completely unremarkable episode. Oh well. I'm more excited to move on to whatever comes next. 4/10

22. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    Jaeger was the best part of the show in my opinion, and of course the Old Fella on the Bar.
    The show itself had its moments but overall nothing spectacular compared to CW and Rebels it falls rather short .

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  23. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    I just re-watched the finale. I enjoyed it more this time, during the first watch I was so focused waiting on something big to happen that I forgot to appreciate the smaller things.

The finale wasn't as grand as I had expected, but it did end in a way I had hoped for with Team Fireball together.

I like how they've developed Kaz's character. He's more serious and mature, but still has a goofy side that fits him. One moment he's holding his own in a firefight, in another he's running screaming through the hallways getting shot at by Stormtroopers but because his character is more balanced it works for him now. Kaz will never be a soldier like Yeager, he isn't the kind of person for that; but he still does the best he can.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Meh its done. On to Clone Wars, that's Star Wars at its best.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I forgot about them. Certainly a plot hole for the series. It's like they were given a filler episode; appeared a few times later here and there, and then vanished towards the end.

whostheBossk and indydefense like this.