main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    This is funny.

2. Triad Moons

Triad Moons Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 14, 2020
    It's honestly an affront to schlock imho. The whiplash Carson seems to be riding trying to justify all of the nonsense, on top of being backhanded with Finn, has my eyebrow muscle twitching.

3. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
  4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Why did Rey hide that she saw and tried to shoot Kylo Ren from Luke? She could have told him from the start.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  5. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I'm trying so hard not to throw up. I had to get that out of me.

6. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Ben and Rey both say "Ow!" in the sequel trilogy.

Discuss.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But which said it first? The master or the apprentice?

8. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    Rey's vision of herself on the Throne of the Sith

The article is incorrect; this scene was briefly visible during the vision she has with Kylo when he meditates with Darth Vader's helmet.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Retired Superninja star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 31, 2012
    She would have made a grand empress. What could of been... [face_sigh]

:p

Ben-Solo likes this.
  10. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Why is Rey's name censored in the thread title? Is it just me seeing that?

cratylus likes this.
  11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It's not just you. It seems like they've made an update to the boards, censoring inappropriate words.
    You can turn it off in your personal settings.

EDIT: Scratch that joke. It seems like they have censored certain words, such as "Rey", "Kylo", "Ren" and "Force". They are now disallowed and I'm awaiting a permaban for making them readable in this post.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  12. Def Trooper

Apr 6, 2019
    That seems rather counterintuitive toward discussion. That can't be intentional...right?

13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Stranger things have happened on these boards at this time of year ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 38x time Wacky Wednesday winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    "All the relevant movie names, being replaced by Disney movie names" springs to mind. That one was actually funny.

15. Def Trooper

Apr 6, 2019
    Oh, I'm an idiot.

cratylus and Lulu Mars like this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    To be an idiot is to be human.
    [​IMG]

[face_beatup]

Was that when "GFFA" was replaced by "Princess"? I actually thought that had been announced as the official name of the galaxy and was like "Pretty cool, I guess" :oops:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  17. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    I was a little confused myself, but the date supplies a passable explanation for the time being.

In a meta way this is actually kind of funny.

Iron_lord and Lulu Mars like this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Retired Superninja star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 31, 2012
    You saw the warning and still used these derogatory terms. Enjoy your vacation!

19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I prefer the terms Sheev-spawn and Brood Dude myself.

Lulu Mars and cratylus like this.
  20. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a32112506/star-wars-daisy-ridley-fan-backlash-reaction/

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There’s two real elements of social media that Ridley is seeing: one is the part social media plays in giving fans a louder voice, good or bad, period, and the other is the way it serves as a platform for different fans to consolidate and organize opinion, reactions, and narratives.

She got to see a roar of praise, enjoyment, and reciprocated “love” from Star Wars fans that easily drowned out most of the criticism that did come after TFA, which makes sense: it’s the ST film that had the smallest amount of criticism, and the ST rode a wave of goodwill more consistently all the way through to TLJ’s release.

...But the one-two combinations of TFA’s mystery box approach running headlong into TLJ’s subversive strategy, and an unfortunate combination of weaknesses in both films that exacerbate each other, lead to massive division and ill-feelings in the fanbase that fell along what a lint to ore-set fault-lines.

LFL and Johnson expected backlash to Luke’s story, and likely some to Rey not being a Skywalker, but they didn’t think through the total ramifications of things like leaving Kylo as the last (and villainous) Skywalker - at least not when they approved the script, though they seem to have doubts rear their head before the films released. And they really had no preparation for the divisive nature of Kylo and Rey’s relationship, the weakness of Rey’s overall story, the inanity and inconsistency of the Space Chase beyond the spectacle of Holdo’s Hyperspace Ram, Finn’s story being largely rejected as an asset to the film, or that having Luke contribute nothing substantial to the major plot then dying was basically depriving the story of the momentum of his appearance.

And then TROS came in to collect on the disenfranchisement of of fans, the weaknesses of the story thus far, and its own attempt to repair the damage but incompetently.

And for Ridley herself, she’s basically experienced the love of fans who liked her first movie and saw her as their Skywalker, followed by a divide in fans who found her story in TLJ an abusive romance vs those who wanted more of her with Driver (I’m talking screentime and not referencing the weirdos, here), then got to see both sides that were vocal explode even louder as the first group was angered at the abusive relationship continuing while the other group was splintered even more by those who wanted Kylo alive and valued him over Rey, those who didn’t mind the relationship but found Rey’s new story bad, and those who rolled with TLJ but rejected the kiss.

Above all else, though, she hopefully sees that most of the disappointment and anger has nothing to do with her or her cast mates. It’s mostly just the writing, direction, and production, people are angry at.

22. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    LOL!

https://canoe.com/entertainment/movies/daisy-ridley-star-wars-the-last-jedi-backlash-was-fair

That's Daisy on TLJ backlash. What do they say about karma again? [face_tee_hee]

23. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I’m not sure what is going on with Daisy’s face during the scene when she faces down Kylo’s ship, the scene used in the trailer just before she reaches for her lightsaber. She looks beautiful in that scene. I can’t put my finger on why. Whether it is because she is squinting slightly or because she looks a little leaner in her face, and a bit older. Not sure, but she sure looks attractive.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  24. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cmon now, disney, Rey Palpatine? Nah.

RetropME likes this.
  25. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    To be fair, in Canon, she never went by the name Rey Palpatine. She was always Rey or Rey Skywalker. ;)