main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Denis Villeneuve to Direct Dune - Release Date: December 18, 2020

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Is this movie going to be the entire book?

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, but it's two films. Their making them like the IT films, part one, and part two, to accommodate the whole story.

Darth Chiznuk and Lee_ like this.
  3. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Perfect.
    It can be neatly chopped into two halves.
    Part 1 - Paul and the Atreides arrive on Arrakis.
    Part 2 - Paul in the Desert.

4. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Never read the book, nor seen the film. It was one of those that I skipped over as a kid because it just seemed very boring. I think I once picked it up in the video rental shop back in the day, but chose Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone instead.

New movie looks interesting. I just get a bit put off by the more esoteric type of sci-fi such as Chronicles of Riddick, Dune etc - the ones that are overly earnest and a bit less accessible.

Probably be a home viewing for me, not a cinema trip.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  5. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    I read Dune quite some time ago as a teenager. It was definitely one of those books that made some sort of impression on me, without me feeling like I understood it in any way.

Was planning a re-read in preparation for this film because Villeneuve has never made a damn movie that's less than excellent and I want to appreciate it to the fullest extent. I hope this forum sticks around because I'd love a quality place to talk about it!

The new production pics are surprisingly good for Vanity Fair.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Dune is in my top ten books of all time. So I'm definitely very excited to actually see this adaptation, made by one of my favorite working directors, starring such an excellent cast. It almost feels like a dream, like it shouldn't be real that the money got spent on this project.

Pro Scoundrel and Lee_ like this.
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Right, if you've read the book, you know it would take 4-6 hours to put all of that into a movie. They are claiming to be making the real thing here in terms of the Dune story, so it will definitely take 2 movies, which was the plan all along.

Agreed. It is a brave undertaking to take this very imaginative book and make a movie out of it. More conventional stories are the overwhelming norm in live action sci-fi productions; I love the idea they are spending money to make a sci-fi story that is deeper and further from commercial norms ("real sci-fi" so to speak).

If anyone finds that they like these sort of novels after reading in prep for this movie, Herbert has written other similar "survival planet" type stories that are very good; I would highly recommend The Dosadi Experiment.

GregMcP and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  8. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    David Lynch cameo please.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Any ideas when we'll get a trailer? I just know the cinematography is going to be breathtaking

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I read Dune back in high school and the first two sequels not long after. It’s amazing that they agreed to let Villeneuve do this after the somewhat disappointing box office of Blade Runner 2049. He’s really the perfect filmmaker to make it though. I can’t wait!

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. When he was announced it made such immeasurable sense that I had a bout of amazement that nobody ever fancasted such a pairing. It is just so immaculately logical.

12. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm amazed too.
    Bladerunner 2049 is a gorgeous film that explores deep things. But it's slow and thoughtful, and that's not the stuff of $200 million Blockbusters expecting to make a Billion.

Dune can be slow and thoughtful too.
    He must have been told to pick up the pace. Work on the Action and Spectacle.

13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Even if he has, he has actors in place who can do both perfectly. Josh Brolin, Oscar Isaac, Rebecca Ferguson, Jason Momoa, Zendaya, Javier Bardem, and even Timothee have all proven their worth with both dramatic material, AND action choreography. That's what gets me so excited. Both aspect can be delivered upon by this cast.

GregMcP likes this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Of all the major studios, Warner Bros. is generally the best at allowing filmmakers free reign over blockbusters.

The exception being Zack Snyder, but frankly... that’s understandable.

Bor Mullet and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    ANOTHER desert planet!?

16. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Honestly! We've had enough.

17. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Will there be another Death Star?

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And MORE giant space worms?!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    No Jawas though

20. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Lots of Sand People.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    If they just follow the story, there will be a good mix of both.

A very different one though; a survival planet type scenario. Herbert liked that scenario to write stories; he used it in a number of his books.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Creativity is dead.

Hernalt likes this.
  23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The creative landscape is even more desolate and barren than Arrakis.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Corporate Overlords: “People like Star Wars desert planets, so let’s do another one. Oh, and remember that cool space worm in the Star Wars movie that everyone thinks is the best? Let’s have a bunch of those in this movie too. But put them on the desert planet, because everyone loves those.”

Give me a break, Hollow-wood.

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm very much looking forward to this film. I think the costumes look great. Can't wait to see the sand worms!

Bor Mullet, Pro Scoundrel and Lee_ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.