main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Music in Future Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by InterestingLurker, Feb 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Give Alexandre Desplat another shot.

Bor Mullet and Shamear like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This.

3. DarthRageous

DarthRageous Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2022
    I’m too lazy too look it up right now, but I’m sure I read that none of the trailers for the ST were composed by Williams; they were all done by someone else. I thought the trailers were great, although none of the music from them featured in the films. Whoever composed the music for them would get my vote.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The first teaser for TFA was composed by Williams. The rest were by a company that specializes in trailer music IIRC.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want the next SW film to have tons of throat singing in the soundtrack.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Throat singing is tired. Slide flutes are wired.

Sarge likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Kazoos...

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Nah, we need to go totally sci-fi retro with Theremin music.

Siphonophore likes this.
  9. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    A quartet comprised of musicians playing an alboka, a hurdy-gurdy, a theremin, and a Mellotron.

Sarge likes this.
  10. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Film scores have undergone a fundamental sea-change - for the worse IMO. It's all about "background noise" over musical accompaniment. I really hope the next generation of SW composers don't shy away from strong melodies, leitmotifs and nuanced orchestration.

So far, I think John Powell's score for Solo is the best non-Williams SW score. He would be my pick for the next SW movie composer.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Couldn't disagree more. Film scores have gotten a lot better in the past few decades, in my view. More atmospheric and more in synch with the natural sounds of a film, and less bludgeony. Yes, they are less overtly manipulative and less heavy-handed (not as much THIS IS HOW YOU MUST FEEL RIGHT NOW AND THE SCRIPT AND ACTING AREN'T CARRYING THE WATER), but I think that's a good thing. I'm personally glad to be rid of the kind of schmaltzy overwrought scores that are a legacy of old Hollywood. And Powell's was the most like those scores, which is why I find it to be the worst of the Disney era. IMO, of course.

In this context, I'd go with composers like Goransson or Desplat for future SW scores. But really, it mostly depends on the kinds of stories being told, and what's most appropriate for those stories.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I kind of agree with this to an extent, but I also think that Star Wars is space opera, and it's a lot more natural for it to have "heavy-handed" and "manipulative" scores than subtle ambient scores.
    Let's face it, Star Wars would not be what it is today without John Williams. Imperial March, Binary Sunset, The Throne Room, Duel of the Fates; these are all highly manipulative pieces of music, and the movies are so much better for it.

PymParticles , Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, but Williams in his prime was an absolute master at infusing orchestral scores with subtly intimate themes that perfectly complement the scenes. When less talented composers try that, they mostly fail. That said, I think there’s a healthy balance. More ambient scores for the smaller stories and more orchestral for the larger, for example (though it need not be that simplistic a formula).

Sarge likes this.
  14. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    I hadn't heard of him until recently, but having heard Bear McCreary's work on the Rings of Power soundtrack, I think he'd be a good choice for a future film.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I hope Michael Giacchino gets more SW work. His score for Buzz Lightyear is a good one.

Bor Mullet and Darth_Bertie like this.
  16. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Agree 100%. His RO score is by favourite non-JW score for SW. One just needs to compare it against Kenobi or Mando score to notice the difference.

Sarge likes this.
  17. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    For me, Star Wars music means Johnny Williams. He is the master with whom all others compare. Duel of the Fates, and the entire soundtrack of TPM was a masterpiece that set the bar. No one else will ever come close. When JW retires from composing music for Star Wars, his themes will continue in the orchestrations of the soundtracks of many future Star Wars films. There are other excellent composers and orchestrators that have worked on SW projects in film and TV, but none compare to JW. He will always be the master.

clonewarsconcept and Darth Smurf like this.
  18. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    This morning I read a couple of articles about what Thomas Bangalter, formerly of Daft Punk, has been up to..... he scored an orchestral album, titled Mythologies. I'm curious to see if he'll be doing more of this, particularly in regards to film scoring.
    The articles are on Pitchfork's site, as well as NPR.
    I pre-ordered the 2-CD set, which is set to release on June 9th.
    In the meantime, I've been listening to the album via YouTube, and I like what I hear.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l1Qd_5976pXKv8r9cW-pVV7hkGiSb1kEI
    Bonus video:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    He will almost certainly get at least one of the movies/trilogies.

Sarge likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd be cool with if he directed a SW movie too. His work on Werewolf By Night was really good.

Darth Smurf and Sarge like this.
  21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Listening to Thomas Bangalter's "Mythologies", I would love to see music like that in Mangold's "Dawn of the Jedi".

I saw Bangalter for DOTJ, Giacchino for the Rey/Finn movies, and Goransson for the Filoni movie.

Siphonophore likes this.