main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do you view Anakin as mentally ill?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hilal, Dec 6, 2015.

1. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    While there are elements of Anakin's story that don't quite work for me, overall, I give GL huge props for trying to show us how someone who starts out with good intentions can fall. And I am definitely in the camp that believes that no, Anakin was most decidedly not "mentally ill".

I don't want to get us sidetracked here, but I DO find it interesting that so many folks think the Jedi's teachings on attachment are without justification, when Anakin so beautifully illustrates the toxic possibilities of too much attachment. I would argue that Anakin isn't willing to slaughter kids, betray his friends and teachers and mentors (and murder many of them), and sell a galaxy into slavery in order to save Padme's life. He is willing to slaughter kids, betray his friends and teachers and mentors (and murder many of them), and sell a galaxy into slavery to spare HIMSELF the pain he would feel if he lost Padme. That is what he is terrified of. He almost perfectly illustrates how fear and attachment can lead to the Dark Side.

On these Forums, there is a lot of discussion of "who is responsible" for Anakin. And to be clear, I am not suggesting that we aren't all, in various ways and proportions, strongly influenced and configured by many factors, both genetic and environmental, into the people we are at any given moment. However, I think we have to resist the mechanistic outlook that REDUCES us to these things, that acts as if each of us is just running a computer program, deprived of any agency. Just as Anakin himself knew he was wrong to massacre the entire Tusken village, I believe on some level he also knew it was wrong to murder the younglings, to turn on the Jedi, to strangle Padme, and to turn the galaxy over to Palpatine. He may have found the choice agonizing, at least originally, but he does make a choice - IMHO.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I view everyone as mentally ill.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  3. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    No. This sounds like an argument to justify or easily explain Anakin's turn to evil. Or this idea that there was something about Anakin that made him easily prone to evil. I don't buy it. I believe anyone is capable of succumbing to evil, given the right circumstances.

You would be surprised at the number of "sane" people capable of harming children . . . especially if they viewed those kids or kid as less than human.

I can recall a line spoken by one of the main protagonists in the cable series "The Alienist" - "I believe we all possess the raw material required to commit horrible acts. We just need the right or wrong combination of events to make the raw material combustible." For Anakin, it was first his mother's kidnapping and murder. As for Padme, it was his fear of losing her . . . after losing Shmi. What happened to Anakin - becoming a monster - could have easily happened to any of the other major characters if the right set of circumstances had presented itself.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Sith Lord 2015 and wobbits like this.
  4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    only as disturbed as any other fairytale witch, beast, archetype

5. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    I wouldn't describe Anakin as any of the above. Well, he could be an archtype, but he has always struck me as too complicated for that.

wobbits and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  6. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    any character with evil traits could ve construed to be mentally unstable

7. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Anyone can be a monster. Everyone possesses traits that can allow them to embrace evil. Everyone. There is nothing special about Anakin in that regard. Do people want to believe there is something unique about Anakin that easily makes him a monster in order to ignore the possibility that everyone has the potential for evil? Or is this some need to paint Anakin as evil or unstable deep down in order to avoid viewing him as someone who is complex?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    edit

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I’m confused why it’s controversial that Anakin probably qualifies for having a personality disorder?

10. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    it's just that if he waa sent to trial for his crimes could he claim insanity.. don't think so

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    What does this even mean? Do you think people with personality disorders are insane?

12. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    is Anakin mentally ill no he is just very afraid, very depressed and very angry. it depends to what degree it effects you. i wouldn't call him mentally ill... tho i think he had a breakdown which 1 in 4 people have in their lives. Some people might even say that in some cultures believing in the force, having visions would be out of normal mental parameters but no i don't think he is mentally ill per se and not really a helpful phrase.. at least not in a sci fi fairytale

13. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    In a court of law, whether someone is truly insane, has a mental disorder, or even a personality disorder, is being used as defense for their actions, then it's generally recognized as an insanity plea. It doesn't literally mean that someone with a mental or personality disorder is actually insane.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 37x time Hangman winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    The "legal definition" required for an insanity plea to be successful, is pretty restrictive in most jurisdictions though.

15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Why is that even relevant? Someone with a personality disorder is not any more likely to be insane than someone without, and whether they are legally insane is going to be assessed upon its merits. Most personality disorders have nothing to do with legal insanity and are going to be useless as a diagnosis in a court. Indeed perpetrators of violent crimes likely have antisocial personality disorder.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  16. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Or their violent crimes originate from greed, lust, revenge, hate, fear, etc. One doesn't need to possess an "antisocial personality disorder" or any other kind of mental ailment to commit a violent crime. You just need the right motivation, combined with the right moment or series of moments to commit violence.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Okay? You seem reluctant to admit that Anakin may qualify for a personality disorder because you somehow think that a person having disorder undermines the message?

18. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    No, we're reluctant because at no point does Anakin show any signs of a personality disorder. He's an entitled, petulant ***hole. That is not a personality disorder, nor a case of being mentally ill. His violent actions all stem from his greed and fear. Not from some deep rooted mental disorder, nor from any personality disorder.
    This is an issue in our society. Every time someone commits an atrocity, everyone is quick to jump to the person is mentally ill. It's usually, "They have to be sick in the head to do something like this." People don't want to admit that there are individuals out there who are simply sadistic pieces of ***t. The reality is in very few instances, is the individual actually considered to have some sort of disorder that would lead to their actions.
    Claiming any sort of mental or personality disorder, is just an excuse to make Anakin's actions seem less heinous. A way to justify the unjustifiable. This is no different than the arguments being made over in the "Defending Anakin and the Tuskens" thread. We can examine the motivations. Delve into the how and why, but there is no justification for Anakin's actions. There is no excuse.

19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Firstly, if I recall correctly, a psychologist actually used Anakin as an example for borderline personality disorder for teaching purposes.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/10679-psychology-darth-vader-revealed.html

Secondly, I’m not sure why you view a diagnosis for a personality disorder as an excuse, and I’m going to assume that you’re not suggesting I’m excusing such behaviour. It’s simply a reality if someone, for example, is a sadist, they probably have a mental health disorder. That’s just the truth of the situation.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  20. Love how in Clone Wars multimedia project Anakin is still the Anakin that everyone hates he is a jerk and arrogant like in the movies unlike TCW i always believed Hayden Anakin is what Young Vader should be he is going to become a villain after all and makes his relationship with Palpatine more credible

21. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Did being a Jedi Knight made Anakin entitled?

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  22. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    I would lean towards yes. I'll play armchair psychologist and say that he comes off as bipolar (in both the Prequels and Clone Wars). He feels strongly one way or another, and hardly anything in between. Also, I think you have to have some instability to become something like Darth Vader, and spend over half your life in such a suit no less.

23. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    Was Anakin intended to be presented as mentally ill? No, I don't think so.

However, given how frequently he saw combat during the Clone Wars, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he developed some combat related trauma throughout the years. Plus I can't imagine having frequent visions of loved ones dying would be good for anybody's mental health either.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    TripleZero likes this.
  24. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Why do I get the feeling that many people cling to this "mentally ill" theory to do the following:

1) To give Anakin an excuse for why he became evil; or

2) To wallow in this pretense that only certain people embrace evil due to some mental condition?

This feels false to me. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Anyone can become monster. Anyone. The ability to become a monster IS NOT limited to those with a "certain mental condition". And I believe Anakin represents this. I suspect that very few people are willing to acknowledge that even the average human being is capable of behaving monstrously when the right emotional buttons are pushed in the right situation. Including a great number of psychologists.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Darth Chuck Norris and Sarge like this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    That’s pretty presumptuous. Not only is it not an excuse for his behaviour if he happens to fit the criteria for a mental health disorder, but him having a mental health disorder is not mutually exclusive from the fact that anyone is capable of evil.