main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT The Play's the Thing | Evil Author Day| unfinished humor (Jocasta Nu)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Raissa Baiard, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Title: The Play's the Thing
    Author: Raissa Baiard
    Characters: Jocasta Nu, Caleb Dume (young Kanan)
    Genre: Humor, vignette
    Timeframe: Saga PT
    Synopsis: Jocasta Nu directs the Padawans' Seasonal Drama, Amleth.

For last year's Mods' Dare Challenge I received the following dare from @devilinthedetails
    Unfortunately, this was as far I was was able to write before my life went completely sideways :p I'm not sure that I will ever finish it, so if someone wants to write the epic tale of thespian intrigue that is Caleb Dume performing Hamlet in Spaaace for the Padawan's Seasonal Drama, please be my guest....
    -----

Jocasta Nu rubbed her temples.

For over thirty years now, she’d been in charge of the Padawans’ Seasonal Drama. Each year she directed the Temple’s most promising young thespians in some of the Galaxy’s great dramas, plays that were not only masterpieces of literature, but also illuminated the sentient condition. The performances had enjoyed a certain level of prestige and acclaim, and every year, padawans clamored to be a part of the play, seeking even the tiniest roles as long as they were able to be on stage.

Some years’ productions were triumphant, others merely adequate. But in all those years, she’d never had a production remotely like this one.

This year’s play was to be W’lem Jakspeeir’s Amleth, the classic tale of vengeance and madness. Jocasta was particularly fond of it; young Obi-Wan Kenobi’s performance in the title role had been the pinnacle of her career as director. Ah, now there was a padawan who had had the gravitas, the dignity, the dramatic intensity to do justice to the part of Amleth, the (Danish) prince!

In this year’s crop, however, there was only one padawan who had the necessary focus to remember all of Amleth’s lines.

That Dume child…

Jocasta sighed and reached for her (aspirin). Caleb Dume had been a trial to her since his youngling days when he would climb the shelves in the Archives to find the holobook--or two or three or ten-- he wanted instead of asking a page droid to retrieve it like a civilized being. Intellectual curiosity was a virtue, of course, but in moderate doses, not the ridiculous lengths to which Dume took it. The questions the boy could come up with! Oh dear Force, the questions! “Why wouldn’t Amleth just tell someone he’d seen a ghost? I would have.” “Why is tigmary supposed to be for remembrance anyway? Why isn’t it, I don’t know, cranial flowers?, ” “Why didn’t they call a healer or a med droid or something instead of just letting everyone die at the end?”

It was enough to drive her as mad as the (Danish) Prince himself.
    ++++

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OHMIGOSH MEGA YAYS! [face_party] I remember when you were working on this and what a super exciting and fun and SO VERY CALEB ILDEPHONSUS DUME project it was! :D (And of course he’s the one with the focus!) Perfect job on exasperated!Jocasta, too, and such a joy to see her mounting further performances with those younglings! So thrilled that you decided to share this for Evil Author Day—and very curious to see if your offer to adopt it will be taken up! Thanks so much for sharing! =D=

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Oh the endless questions! I particularly liked, why didn't they just call a healer or a med-droid at the end? :D =D=

Yeah, I think "sideways" is a good descriptor for 2020. :eek:

[:D]

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I love the idea of Jocasta Nu directing plays with the Padawans, and all the humor laced throughout this piece. As a Shakespeare geek, I really enjoyed reading this, and this section in particular made the Obi-Wan fan in me just grin really widely:

"young Obi-Wan Kenobi’s performance in the title role had been the pinnacle of her career as director. Ah, now there was a padawan who had had the gravitas, the dignity, the dramatic intensity to do justice to the part of Amleth"

Because even as a Padawan Obi-Wan would have that air of dignity and gravitas about him. That's the Obi-Wan I know and love[face_love]

And I'm glad my Shakespeare challenge could inspire something!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    A classic! :D Opera, too, would call for this question and oh, if Obi-Wan (McGregor) could have sung, I don't know, Edgardo in Lucia di Lammermoor, the same question would have arose!