main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics 2.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 11, 2020.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What about Budapest? Do you remember that very differently too? :p

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 10

Apr 17, 2006
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm sure the date is just a coincidence.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I know you’re being sarcastic, but it started in the 1950s so there is no way in hell it’s a coincidence. :p

Edit: Also we’ve hit the point where trivia from previous Loyalty Days is informing my posts on current Loyalty Days. Truly, there is no firmer Loyalty Day tradition than everyone forgetting Loyalty Day is a thing until the next president takes office.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    She would almost certainly win as an independent. Especially with Alaska having ranked choice voting now.

6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    All the more reason to say “**** Mitch, **** Trump, **** the GOP” and declare her independence and let Schumer come to her on bender knee in exchange for a vote to kill the filibuster.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think we are gonna get someone left of her in Alaska. If she either leaves the GOP and is completely independent or caucuses with the democrats that would be great.

Also saw that not all Republicans are against raising the minimum wage. At this point unless we can get rid of the filibuster I could possibly see us getting enough republicans on bored if we raise the wage to 10 dollars. It’s still poverty, but if we can’t Nuke the filibuster it’s the best we’ll get

8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Loeffler is a nobody, she’s not worth your time, she couldn’t even win an election in Georgia, she is currently not in any position at all, so why should anyone care?

There’s no reason to focus on her or Trump anymore, focusing on them doesn’t help anyone, it just distracts from real issues, focusing on them actually harms people, because not only does it focus attention to people who don’t deserve it, it also distracts attention away from real issues that deserve attention

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Her career is done. I am more worried about the crazies still in power

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Yes - except 2016 showed us the distractions can become the actual government.

11. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah, in part due to the undeserving attention that was given to Trump by the media at large, it’s not a secret that Trump was given an enormous amount of attention prior to the Republicans primary and then again in the general election of 2016

all the more reason not to give people like Leoffler more attention than they deserve

12. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Here we go again. What is it with some people here taking a politics thread on a Star Wars message board as some sort of job or duty?
    Talking about Trump or his cronies doesn't help anyone?
    It distracts from the real issues?
    Did I miss the memo where we have some sort of obligation here to only focus on "real issues", which is totally subjective by the way, and not just comment on whatever we want related to politics because we're just shooting the sh** here?
    I'm sorry, but you're talking as if we're some sort of governing body that has come together to set policy and save the nation. Get off the high horse and relax.

13. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    Loeffler isn’t in politics at the moment?

Neither is Trump?

So yes, giving attention to them distracts from what is actually happening in politics, and more importantly it distracts from policies that actually help people

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Kelly Loeffler's organization has been paying for digital billboards in the Atlanta area, blaming Democrats for losing the MLB game. She's still looking to get something in Georgia for herself, even if the Senate position is out of reach for now.

Donald Trump's star is finally falling - but his biggest disciple, the governor of the state he resides in, is the favorite for Republican nomination in 2024. He still has a substantial base that follows his every whim, which is why people like McCarthy still swing by to kiss his ring. And let's not forget that he managed to get millions of dollars for political campaign fundraising instead of the Republican Party, giving him a significant financial voice in future elections.

I get the fatigue over have to hear about them, but let's not dismiss them completely until they're truly out of the picture.

15. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I think there’s a difference between talking about Loeffler and Trump themselves, and the influential factors that contributed to their success/rise

I’m objecting to the focus on the personalities, not the dangerous messages that they represent

I think it’s possible to do the later, without even mentioning Trump or Loeffler

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  16. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Pres. Biden picks a dandelion and hands it to Jill on the way to the helicopter, Newsmax calls it 'bizarre'

meanwhile old guy in Florida still ranting in front of hotel guests.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Apr 27, 2005
    I guess a couple in the White House that actually loves each other would seem strange to Newsmax after four years of Trump and Melania.

18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Yeah DeSantis scares the hell out of me. He’s as ruthless and vicious as Trump but a hell of a lot smarter. That’s a very dangerous combination.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    If Biden ate a sandwich they would call it strange

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And in Missouri the public voted in a referendum to add an amendment to the state constitution to have the state fund Medicaid. And the state legislature is saying "No."

One Republican representative said “If the voters had all the information we do, I think they would have made a different decision.”

This is just the regular pattern recently, as this has happened in numerous Republican states, such as Florida and South Dakota, where the populace votes for raising the minimum wage or legalizing marijuana, and legislators respond by refusing to enact what the voters chose and passing laws to make it harder for people to vote in referendums.
    The good news is that I don't think DeSantis will fare well on the national stage. And hopefully if Trump continues his drift into irrelevancy, DeSantis is either going to have to risk alienating his core followers, or figure out how to swim with a boat anchor tied to his leg.

21. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Problem is, the GOP will likely have a lock on the Electoral College for the rest of the decade regardless of who the candidate is. Florida will remain red, and you can bet Georgia and Arizona are not going to stay blue after 2020. With Ohio being solid red and Pennsylvania iffy, it’s going to be very, very hard for a Democrat to win the White House for the next 8-12 years.

22. Lady Mary

Lady Mary Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2014
    when i was a kid, we would pick a dandelion , make a wish, then blow on it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I know two people who are moving out of Florida because of his Covid polices. We are concerned about him, as well.

blackmyron likes this.
  24. PCCViking

PCCViking 7x Hangman winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Add the fact that the legislature will ban vaccine passports, but not protect the vaccinated from being discriminated against....I'd wish I could move so that Bugs Bunny would saw off Florida from the rest of the country.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Apr 27, 2005
    I still do that sometimes.