main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Taylor-Johnson is too "pretty" to be Kraven the Hunter. They need someone more rugged and "grizzled".

Jamie Bell, Diego Luna, Dohmnall Gleeson are still young but have a more aged look to them than Taylor-Johnson which I think would suit the character better. Plus they don't have the MCU link as outlined by T2Q

2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Chosen One star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I was hoping they were going to base it off of Kraven's Last Hunt and go meta with it by casting an aging action of yester-year like Van Damme or Lundgren.

Also, ATJ is just a weak actor in general.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    What the hell is the point of a solo Kraven the Hunter movie? “Finally, instead of hunting a superhero I have a vested interest in, Kraven just hunts some animals!”

And the worst part is they’re definitely going to just call it KRAVEN.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    ATJ was unrecognizable in Tenet. He’s a hulking grizzly bearded soldier. Maybe you could say rugged. Looking like that - at least physically - he’d fit the role of Kraven.

darthcaedus1138 and dp4m like this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm actually not that surprised Sony is moving forward with a Kraven The Hunter movie since they've been trying to get a Sinister Six film off the ground since Andrew Garfield's Amazing Spider-Man. So, assuming that Kraven is part of the MCU, members of the Sinister Six we have seen are Vulture, Scorpion and Mysterio. And depending on what happens after Spider-Man: No Way Home, we could see other members of the Sinister Six, like Electro.

Multiverse is a good assumption, considering Spider-Man: No Way Home is suppose to tie into Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. I think the character of Kraven would provide Aaron Taylor Johnson enough fair hair to look different from Quicksilver. I don't think Wanda would recognize him. :p

I recommend watching Nocturnal Animals. I didn't know that Aaron Taylor-Johnson was the villain in the film until afterwards. I don't think most people would have recognized initially without knowing it was him to begin with.

Well, like I posted above, Sony has been trying to get the Sinister Six off the ground for nearly ten years with the release of The Amazing Spider-Man back in 2012. Now, they finished Morbius and they did Venom without Spider-Man with a good degree of success. So, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on Kraven for now.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I know Sony wants to make their stupid Sinister Six plan work. They have earned zero benefit of the doubt from me on these solo villain movies to date and in a vacuum Kraven is a hilariously bad choice for one because he is literally defined by pursuit.

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    When I was speculating to myself about ways to do a movie that could fit *both* a Sony-exclusive movie but the MCU, I also landed on Kraven...

...But not Sergei. Anastasia Kravinoff, with Sergei as an eventually antagonists father after you basically “plugged and played” Cassandra Cain’s story from the Batman universe in her.

Actual-dactual Kraven the Hunter? I don’t see a good way to make him a protagonist, outside of maybe doing a stripped down psychological horror story.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I had to look that up. Did not know Michael Mando was Scorpion without the costume in Spider-Man: Home Coming.

9. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    That's a good nerd career. Kick-Ass, the Real Pietro ( not Ralph Boner) and now Kraven. I tell you folks, this guy lives the dream life of the average geek.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, Mando wasn't featured as Scorpion, but the post credit scene to Spider-Man: Homecoming showed a prelude to his Scorpion costume.

So, is it your assumption that Sony won't have Kraven hunting or pursuing anything in the film? I'm just wondering what you think the Kraven movie will end up being about.

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Kraven hunts a boar the whole movie, can't deal with loss, eats a shotgun at the end. It'll be real cheap. (Anyway Aaron-Taylor Johnson is a real chameleon of a character actor he can pull it off. Also, y'know, big bushy beard. Throw Kraven into Season 2 of Wandavision if you wanna get even more meta about it though)

13. PCCViking

PCCViking 7x Hangman winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I think Luke Evans would make a good Kraven the Hunter.

14. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm annoyed with this Kraven thing. Venom without Spider-Man didn't work for me and I don't see any way a Kraven movie without Spidey works.....his whole thing is hunting/besting Spider-Man....

BigAl6ft6, Rew, Ramza and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I already said the issue is he won’t be hunting a character the audience cares about, and because his character is based around hunting this seems like a very bad idea. He has to hunt something but if it’s not Spider-Man who besides some misguided executive trying to extend a licensing deal even cares? You could try to craft a sympathetic target and given an origin story for Kraven at the same time, but that seems like a juggling act I have no confidence in this studio to allow someone to pull off correctly. And again, this is a problem introduced solely because they want a Kraven solo movie, which loops back to the beginning of the matter.

Although he actually might not end up hunting anything and will instead just be a misunderstood social outcast living in Russia who one day decides to rebel against society, dons a garish outfit, and then does a prisyadka down some stairs. Kravens rise up.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    In non-Spin-off Spidey befuddling side character movie news, I just started on Miles Morales Spider-Man on PS4 and I'm quite enjoying it. Of course, I already did the first Insomniac Spider-Man so the play mechanics are really easy for me but they've added Miles' Venom spark and he just found out about his invisibility. It has a very similar vibe to Spider-Verse and definitely unlocking the Spider-Verse suit as soon as I can to complete it. The new Peter Parker model looks like budget Tom Holland, though but he disappears in-person after the opening scene. which is great as it's Rhino out of the gate and it crashes through JJJ's Holiday Special podcast.

And I've been rewatching Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon which was one of the few (only?) Sony Spider-Man TV shows before the TeeVee rights reverted back to Disney (Accordingly it's available on Netflix and nowhere on Disney Plus). And I loved Spectacular Spider-Man so much and was kinda bitter they canned it that I haven't watched any of the Disney Spider-Man cartoons yet. Any of them any good? Cuz I really love 90s' Spider-Man, Spider-Man '67 and Spectacular '08.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If only.

I’ve seen things.

Horrible early 2000s TV CGI things.

Admittedly the writing and voice work is fine.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I keep seeing Spider-Man Unlimited staring back at me from the Disney Plus app which I never watched but I think it was supposed to be a spin-off of the 90s animated series (or just trying to trick the audience to think it is) and similar bitterness that it wasn't the original. Was the early 2000s CGI series the one where Neil Patrick Harris voiced Peter Parker? Wasn't he voice of him sometime?

Also I have to find the 90s Spider-Man cartoons episodes that were actually apparently Beta-Version Spider-Verse, I didn't see much of the final season anyway
    [​IMG]

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i wasn't sure about ATJ , but then i saw a picture of him in Variety with slicked back hair, beard and shirt unbuttoned looking totally like Kraven.

but without Spiderman, most likely i wouldn't even see it.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah that’s the one. It aired on MTV and was trying to use the Raimi films as a launching point to attract a teen viewing audience.

I’m equally at a loss as you about Unlimited, I’m not sure I ever caught more than a portion of an episode. In hindsight, maybe it was trying to cash in on Batman Beyond, which is hilarious at the concept level because that show was “What if Batman was Spider-Man in the future?” Regardless I think it got cancelled really quickly.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    well if Aaron Taylor-Johnson is Kraven and they integrate him into the MCU they can (deservedly) whack Ralph Bohner with a retcon stick and say he was Foxverse Peter all along.

I get the feeling the Sony-spin offs will function like Marvel TV Netflix where it isn't referenced in the MCU Marvel Studios content but not contradicted/outright overridden either. Spider-Man himself (And various other MCU Spider-Man casts like we've seen with the Toomes tease in Morbius) may bobble between the two studios.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe the use his 90's cartoon incarnation as inspiration that version was heroic, if mad during his first appearance, and I think more often an ally to SM than an enemy

25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    What is Kraven’s deal? I think of him as a big game Hunter who gets bored with fierce beasts and decides to hunt Spider-Man. So he hunted animals for sport. But Spider-Man is a man…. Was Kraven hunting the most dangerous game (thats people) before Spidey? What’ s Kraven’s logic or motivation to hunt a person?