main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I give you Will Skelton, 2.03m for 140kgs, and Uini Atonio, 1,97m for 152kgs.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Ender Sai likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I dunno what the **** is going on in this thread at this point but I definitely need more photographic arguments.

Rew, mnjedi, TCF-1138 and 2 others like this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Look up Faf de Klerk I guess?

4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Tangentially on this, I do know someone that was in some sort of curling league that, while he wasn't of the sufficient caliber, did mean he had known (not sure if actually competed against) some of the US olympians for curling.

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Look I am British and I just want to apologise for Cricket. it started as an exercise in existential tedium and the hopelessness of all life , but somehow it caught on .

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah, so kind of like English cuisine.

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    To be fair I’m not too familiar with the NFL of the past, for obvious reasons, but from the games I have watched, the biggest drawback isn’t it’s ‘toughness’ (although I’m sure you’re right about the protective gear having such a psychological effect, as this has also been noted with headgear in Rugby), but rather how slowly paced the game is. One of the great things about a Rugby game, particularly Union, is how long the game can go without a breakdown in play. I think this adds another level of skill for Rugby players, because they have to develop their tactics while the game is flowing around them (which is why you have playmakers moving to slow the ruck down, or kicking the ball dead, to give their team some rest-bit).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  8. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Big guy running

[​IMG]

9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I never fail to not get anxious when they run over the end line without putting the ball down in the goal area.

LostOnHoth, Darth Punk and Lordban like this.
  10. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    So many missed tries... :p

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  11. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The fact that it's called "touchdown" when they don't actually touch the ball down makes it even stranger.

Rew and FatBurt like this.
  12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    and that its called football yet they carry the ball around in their hands all the time.

Darth Punk and Mar17swgirl like this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Curling is absolutely exceptional. I loved waking up before dawn to watch the Canadian team play in the last Winter Olympics, no matter how much my roommates made fun of me for it. America would be wise to get back on that horse, followed by widening lacrosse's appeal outside of high school trust fund babies.

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Can we agree on Hand Egg?

TCF-1138 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  15. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Part of the problem is access. It's hard to just try curling in the states because there's so few places to curl. Nova Scotia has fewer than a million people and has 33 curling clubs. Minnesota and Wisconsin have the most curling clubs in the states, both have between 20 and 30 clubs, but the states have over 5 million people. There's 11 curling clubs in New York state. It's really hard to just casually curl in the states because the clubs are filled with serious, hardcore, competitive curlers who don't have a lot of places to go, and it just doesn't leave room on the schedule for the curling-curious to try. And trying curling really builds interest in curling because it's fun. Sure, you fall, everyone falls their first time, but you get up, you throw some rocks at the house, you sweep, you drink. Great times.

PymParticles likes this.
  16. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    My Airbnb houseguest is a middle-aged Australian woman and she familiarized with me with an interesting Australian political event called The Dismissal. What's the best published one-volume treatment of this?

17. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    @Ender Sai Here's a sample of Americans watching (good) Rugby ^^

18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I’ve given up on watching Rugby because whilst it is supposed to be a flowing game the referees ruin it by blowing the whistle every nine seconds due to some perceived rule infraction.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  19. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    So they are going all "NFL Refs" on that sport too, eh? Great. Its killing football here in the states, IMO. The rule changes and stoppages are too much. When I was a boy it wasnt like this at all. Way better.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m about eight months younger than you based on what you posted in the Best Friends Club thread, and every time you post “when I was a boy,” I think I need to find someone to whack with my cane in order to convince them to take my down payment to the nursing home for me.

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    When I was a boy, you could still call anybody you considered less 'a boy'.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    True. How did it get named that?

OK, time to pick on other countries sports now: What’s the infatuation in Europe and other places with soccer? Talk about boring. :p

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I guess you didn't watch the Croatia-Spain and France-Switzerland matches on Monday. Anything but boring.

The rest of your post... [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

FatBurt likes this.
  24. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    sigh..... there's a whole collection of related sports all called 'football'. Also see: Rugby Football, which American football branched off of in the late 19th century.

I do think South Africa was the last world cup I was particularly invested in, though. Tough to watch without a desktop since I relied on alternative means to get the games. What with America being America and all (similarly, the London Olympics were the last decent ones since I wouldn't watch the bad and non-existent American coverage.)

But I guess the World Cup wasn't deadly enough for some attention spans. Wonder if the only Olympics he'd like would be Munich.

25. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The Sweden-Ukraine match yesterday was very boring.
    But you know what's really boring?
    Thumping your chest over sitting on a couch and watching one sport over the other.