main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Kotor? remake? is? probably? (not?) happening?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wouldn't it just cause a ton of confusion if they did the remake, only to say "oh this isn't canon"?

AusStig likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No because the only people who care are the ones actively discussing its canonicity already.

And it’s academic at the moment because they easily have 5+ years to sort it out with a new developer.

Edit: To elaborate a little on my first point - people play Spider-Man games and Batman games and never get tripped up when they contradict each other or the film versions or the cartoons or whatever. Literally no other licensed property follows “canonicity” rules, and many Star Wars games didn’t despite what Wookieepedia will tell you. The majority of players of some future KotOR remake would neither notice nor be bothered, and the ones that did will look it up because they’re already invested over and above casual interest. It’s a non-issue.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  3. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    "Remake" can mean a lot of different things. It can mean just bringing the existing game up to modern visual standards (although this is also referred to as a "remaster"), but it can also mean taking the existing concept and creating a new, modern game utilizing the concept. My understanding was that this KotOR remake was going to be essentially a new game.

If the game stands alone I don't think it would matter, but if they release a KotOR remake and use Revan in a prominent (i.e. film or TV) canonical way I do think there would be room for confusion among casual audiences if they contradicted each other. KotOR had a pretty big impact outside of the "hardcore" fanbase, so if the mass audience plays the modern KotOR remake and then watches, I dunno, the Disney+ Old Republic original movie or whatever I expect there'd be some confusion and questions asked. I can see the Polygon article explaining it now. Is that really an "issue"? I dunno, but I think it would be there.

AusStig and Alpha-Red like this.
  4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    This is still happening though

5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    darklordoftech and AusStig like this.
  6. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    Would it? Most people are interested in a game or piece of media based on the story, writing quality, and/or gameplay. I don't get the impression that even the current holders of SW's IP care about canon that much.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    On a different note, waiting was a good call on K2. It's on offer for £10.50 on Switch until 19 Aug.

Gerak likes this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Uh, considering how virulently you hated KOTOR 1's gameplay, why are you bothering? There's plenty of story playthroughs available on Youtube.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Different developer. Probably some different cheats too. Plus I really liked the first game outside of its incomorehensible combat system.

Most of the time that combat was still OK too. It was only on certain fights it fell apart badly.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    There is no level cap in 2 and you get force powers from level 1. So you can just level up massively. The last fights are not a threat.

11. Maybe they want this game to fit in the New Canon and that is why they delayed it but if that is the case is not longer a Remake but a Reboot

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It can be both.

But with the developers, pre-axe, talking of 2025 as a realistic release date, it'll be some time before we know how this looks at all.

13. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    Bastila statue from Gentle Giant coming in 2023 - from Remake maybe?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    From what I understand the company doing the remake fired their writer and art director but they said it could come out in 2025

15. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    There are rumors that KotOR was transferred to another studio.

Supposedly it was Design Director and Art Director.

If we look at Aspyr's currently open positions that mention KoTOR remake:
    - Creative Director
    - AI Engineer
    - Graphics Engineer
    - Lead Software Engineer - Unreal Engine
    - Senior Performance Engineer
    - Senior Software Engineer - Unreal Engine

Jedi Ben, AusStig and Jedi Knight88 like this.
  16. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

AusStig likes this.
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Saber are also making Space Marine 2.

Will be interesting to see how they handle KOTOR as well.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Another take on KotOR remake problems. The author of the video supposedly spoke/is in contact with some Remake devs. According to him Lucasfilm loved the remake but Sony did not as they expected something more like God of War or Ghost of Tsushima. Supposedly gameplay wise Aspyr made it more like Dragon Age Inquisition or FF7 Remake.

19. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That sounds rather odd though, doesn't it?
    It's a Lucasfilm property, they are calling the shots, not Sony. Sony may offer an opinion, but it would never overrule Lucasfilm. If Lucasfilm loved it, no changes would be coming, unless Embracer thought the current development was unsustainable.

20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think someone might be telling them more opinion rather than facts.

21. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    Hopefully Saber is allowed to prioritize Space Marines 2 over KOTOR. The first game was a gem with better writing than you'd expect for a Warhammer game, probably on the same tier as Gothic Armada 2 in terms of writing quality.

Wonder what's going on at Aspyr though.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think it was really good, up there with the the OG Dawn of War (and dawn of War 2s) and Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2. Though I also like the writing in Total War Warhammer.

I also hope Space Marine 2 is the priority, I don't see a remake of KOTOR as something we need now or even in the near future.

Gerak and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It also had Mark Strong doing the voice for the lead character too.

AusStig likes this.
  24. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    I get a kick out of YouTubers who have to start off their videos by saying what they have gotten correct in the past.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    All things being equal, and owing to the believability of the narratives they aren't, I would still defer to Jason "Literally employed by a major business news outlet because of his established reputation for getting the inside story on game development" Schreier over a Star Wars focused YouTube clickbait channel.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    AusStig, Gerak, FS26 and 1 other person like this.