main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph The JCC's Top 100 Films of All Time Part II: Street Fighter Boogaloo (Now Complete)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Apr 3, 2023.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Capricorn One.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    No, you're 100% right. I'm not arguing against The Northman at all or having a negatively portrayed protagonist. Nor do I think you really have to "care" about a protagonist. There are certainly situations where you're watching something and finding it compelling for other reasons. I've been watching the TV show You lately and I wouldn't say that I want the protagonist to "win." But I'm compelled by him because he's such a complex, well-written and pretty sociopathic. I don't exactly "like" him, but he makes for compelling drama.

Which does it bring it back around to Mad Men and, yeah, I think it's fair to say that one is kind of predicated, much like The Northman, on demonstrating how the mores and moralities where jarringly different in a different time period than they are today.

Prime example: The Trial of the Chicago 7. The closing statement made by the defendants in real life was ******* amazing and, by virtue of being read into the court record, is documented exactly as it was delivered. And Sorkin threw it out to fabricate an entirely different closing statement. Terrible.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Terrible, and yet a signature auteur touch insofar as Aaron Sorkin is concerned. :p

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I've... Literally never heard of that. Is that a film?

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Apropos of the origin of this discussion it’s a Ridley Scott historical drama that flopped at the box office, but tellingly not the one anyone voted for.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Hey, The Last Duel was really good!

7. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    It was one of 2 films about Columbus that year. The other one had Marlon Brando & Tom Selleck.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    And people voted for it.

solojones likes this.
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Good. I couldn't quite fit it into a top 20, but it's probably top 30 for me.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's one whose title I've long been aware of... but, looking at the trailer, I have no memory of any aspect of this trailer (often, for dramas I wouldn't have watched as a kid, there'd at least be some memory of the trailers or ads that played on TV or before rental copies of movies). I don't think I've ever seen a frame from the actual movie. Very interesting cast, though! I would have thought I'd have been somehow aware of Weaver being in this.

Maybe the theatrical poster will jog my memory?

[​IMG]

Hmm...nnnope.

11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Again, I think there's something similar that hit Kingdom of Heaven and The Last Duel; Scott's film sacrificed a better protagonist in Balian of Ibelin by ditching his interesting historical background and bromance with Saladin, and Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's script for his The Last Duel sacrificed a better villain and maybe a stronger protagonist by trying to make Adam Driver's Jacques "relatable" as a party animal making a mistake rather than the arrogant predator, and making Cormer's Margeritte unaware of the legal risks she most likely knew about and chose to face anyways.

12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Re: 1492, I haven't seen that film but I'm familiar with Vangelis' score.

13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

90. The Apartment (1960)
    Directed by: Billy Wilder
    25 Points, 3 Votes
    Voter Comments:
    My Billy Wilder pick. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen this. Someone put up a video link a while ago talking about it, and it made me appreciate it even more. It beat out Sunset Boulevard and Some Like It Hot, both of which are superb. ~Soitscometothis

I guess Billy Wilder was feeling cynical and dark and decided to give us the best comedy in history.
    ~JoinTheSchwarz

"The mirror... it's broken."

"Yes, I know. I like it that way. Makes me look the way I feel."

The best New Year's Eve movie.

[​IMG]

89. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
    Directed by: George Lucas
    26 Points, 2 Votes
    Voter comments:
    what being new to the world in the late 90s does to your SW ranking list ~Bacon164

The best thing to come from this was Aaron Freedman's Jewish Currents piece "If You Prick Watto, Does He Not Bleed?" Well, ok, "Duel of the Fates" hasn't lost any of it's effectiveness even after being featured in a million ****ty fan films.

[​IMG]

88. The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)
    Directed by: Wes Craven
    26 Points, 2 Votes
    Voter comments:
    It’s Bill Pullman, so that’s an obvious reason, but the story fascinates me. Also the behind the scenes drama of filming in Haiti and the voodoo was fun to learn about. ~Lady_Belligerent

Never seen this one.

[​IMG]

87. Parasite (2019)
    Directed by: Bong Joon-ho
    26 Points, 2 Votes
    Voter comments:
    I mean, it’s just damn close to perfect and the layers and resonances of meaning give the film tremendous emotional weight. I’m still not sure which I find more devastating: the image of a woman checking her phone while sitting on a toilet lid trying to hold back a literal geyser of **** or a man who just can’t stop laughing while the tragedies pile up around him. ~Rogue1-and-a-half

Being disappointed by the Oscars is pretty much a cinephile tradition that's probably as old as the ceremony itself, but there are times they manage to get it right, and giving this film Best Picture, Director, and Original Screenplay was definitely one of them.

[​IMG]

86. National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
    Directed by: Harold Ramis
    26 Points, 2 Votes
    Voter Comments: None submitted

"I think you're all ****ed in the head. We're ten hours from the ****ing fun park and you want to bail out! Well I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much ****ing fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of your *******s! Hahaha. I gotta be crazy, I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose! Praise Marty Moose! Holy ****!"

Letting Aaron Sorkin direct his own material has been a disaster for humanity.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Surprised to learn The Serpent and the Rainbow isn’t about how Satanist Catholics are corrupting our children using socks.

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Sounds like a chapter in Harry Potter where he deals with those two classic Rowling villains, Slytherins and LGBTQ people.

16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The Apartment:
    That's brilliant, of course. I almost voted for it, but I decided to have only one comedy, and I picked Life of Brian, largely for nostalgic reasons. Admittedly, The Apartment has by far the tighter script.
    Still, I'm having trouble deciding whether The Apartment is the best Billy Wilder film, or Sunset Blvd.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    BZZZT WOOOSH WOOSSH BZZZT BZZZT

The Serpent and the Rainbow
    Good film, but not one I'd put on my list. Still, it has Bill Pullman in it.

Parasite
    I haven't watched that one. I know everyone loves this film and it might be good, but there's nothing in its description that appeals to me.

National Lampoon's Vacation
    That's fun. Haven't seen it in ages though.

Seen: 4/5, Good: 4/4.

Sarge and Dagobahsystem like this.
  17. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    More good choices. I've seen all of those except TSATR. Parasite is terrific. Vacation is a classic. TPM is great. The Apartment is also quite good, I've seen that 4 or 5 times.

Seen 11/15 of the movies so far.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ahhh so The Serpent and the Rainbow is the first one on this list I haven't seen. I'm at 14/15.

I am glad Parasite made the list on the strength it seems of Stephen and I both placing it highly on our lists. But I shame all the rest of you for letting it be so low. SHAME.

But seriously it and EEAAO restored my faith in the modern Oscars' ability to occasionally get it right at least.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I got that reference!

Ramza likes this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I’d hope so, your comic cover is probably 95% of the reason why I remember that.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Only one real masterpiece in this bunch in my opinion and that's Parasite, the second film that I voted for to make the list. It's just a pitch perfect movie and it manages to land emotionally as both a social critique and a dark drama. The performances are great and it just captures the spirit of living in late stage Capitalism as well as any movie I've ever seen. It is powerful in ways both expected and surprising. Brilliant piece of filmmaking.

Then there are the two that I enjoy, but have just never enjoyed as much as a lot of people seem to: The Apartment and National Lampoon's Vacation. I feel like Vacation could stand a trim; it's not all as funny as it thinks it is, though when it is funny, it is very funny. It's Chevy Chase at his best, I would say; he's not a comedian I love, but he is very funny here. The Apartment is, to me, good, not great. Lemmon's performance is great, I don't think Shirley MacLaine is as good as everybody says. One hundred percent my favorite thing in The Apartment is Fred MacMurray being an absolute ****head. My Billy Wilder pick (which didn't make the list) is the other one where MacMurray goes against type in that way, Double Indemnity. It's one of those times when someone you wouldn't necessarily expect to be good playing a bad guy is actually really fantastic.

Then there's The Serpent & the Rainbow, which I haven't seen though I know of its premise and I have seen the scene where Bill Pullman

gets buried alive
    which is ******* terrifying.

And then there's TPM. Look, I've said what I have to say about this movie. It's not good. That wasn't an excuse for the fandom to go as toxic as it went; nothing is ever an excuse for a fandom to go that toxic. But it wasn't good. While we all know I haven't seen Rise of Skywalker, TPM is definitely my least favorite of the 8 main episodes I've seen. Easily. The PT as a whole isn't great, but TPM makes Revenge look like Empire, if I can be that inside-baseball about it.

Seen: 13/15. Thumbs Up: 11; Thumbs Down: 2.

22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I haven't seen the Apartment. I'll watch it tonight. Otherwise: not a big fan of Serpent and the Rainbow. I definitely don't have anything new to say about the Phantom Menace.

soitscometothis and solojones like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No the best thing about The Apartment is the script!

Rise of Skywalker and AotC are definitely worse movies than TPM, somehow.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You better.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's really quite good. That's one I wouldn't have seen if not for film school.