main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Ahsoka Ahsoka Episode 1.08 (SEASON FINALE!!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 2, 2023.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Oct 18, 2023.
  1. 10

18.4%
  2. 9

19.1%
  3. 8

13.2%
  4. 7

19.9%
  5. 6

10.3%
  6. 5

5.1%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

2.9%
  9. 2

3.7%
  10. 1

4.4%
  1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I can see that. But I haven't watched TCW consistently since 2020 when I finished Season 7. Rebels I haven't watched since 2020, either. That's a long time for me. But I still enjoyed it.

The Thrawn thing I can get. Did you read the Thrawn books by Zahn? He has a tight-rope balancing act in his new works. He's trying to balance the old EU Thrawn with the a-tad-more ruthless Thrawn of the new canon, but he got it down. In the old EU, Zahn was trying to make Thrawn have enough time to breathe in the original trilogy of novels and the prequels and midquel stories. But this new Thrawn, you really have to watch Rebels and read Zahn's balancing act take on him to get it in some ways. Even without it, I liked Mikkelsen's take on the character. I liked how Thrawn was willing to work with Enoch, the Mothers, and anyone to eliminate threats. I call new canon Thrawn a bit more Sith-like in his approach. Old canon Thrawn could be manipulative and ruthless, but Thrawn is willing to change tactics more often and readily than he was I the old canon, I think...and that's a tricky thing to do. Mikkelsen was definitely the right actor to pull it off. Thrawn had to adjust his style to whoever was in front of him, and it was impressive to me. In real life, some generals and admirals struggle with that, I told by those who are more well-informed than me on it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    BOBA-FETT-82 likes this.
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    As someone who totally loved The Courtship of Princess Leia I am kind of disappointed that the Witches weren't brought over as the were in Legends. Witches as good guys and Nightsisters as Witches who fell to the Darkside.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I certainly appreciate those kind remarks of a video I created so long ago![face_love]

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    We don’t know they didn’t hug. They may have after the scene ended.

Also, this is fast becoming one of the most annoying fan complaints since the Chewie didn’t hug Leia uproar.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    rumblewagon and Lulu Mars like this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It's really odd. People don't appreciate the mood and pacing of the things they're watching. It's like they're detaching themselves from the experience as they're experiencing it. Or they never immerse themselves to begin with.
    But hey, different strokes for different folks. Thankfully, we can always ignore complaints that don't make sense to us.

dogprivilege likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Come on, there's no need for this crap. It's one thing to dislike the movies, but randomly accusing the directors of being on drugs because their artistic choices don't line up with your preferences is taking it too far.

7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I was being sarcastic. Lol. I know that JJ and Johnson don't do that. May I make audio recordings to make it clear? My late wife joked like this all the time about Johnson and JJ because it was her way of saying that they were lazy. And she could go Ahsoka on a hater with two pink softball bats, TCF. Lol. Our gf and me and couldn't stop giggling at the memory of the Ep saying that in October 2020. So funny. It was her way of comparing their laziness to a certain politician's lethargy...because he was high as balls when he wanted to kiss men and women at his rallies. That's how silly Johnson was in his depiction of Kylo and Rey, and that's how...out there JJ was in his depiction of TROS scenes. Made about as much sense as this.

"Look at that guy how handsome he is! I'll kiss him! Not with a lot of enjoyment, but that's okay."

"What do you think of that, blossom?"
    - me

"He's high as balls. But so was Johnson when he wrote Kylo. Must have been in love with his Swole self, too."
    - Eponym

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Or, the film/show does not hook them, it does not engage them.

If you have seen TCW/Rebels and know these characters and are invested in them, then seeing more of their adventures is easy to get involved in.

However, if you have not seen these and most of the characters in Ashoka are new to you and you have no prior knowledge or investment in them. Then the questions becomes, does the show make you care?
    If the writer makes the show with the assumption that everyone in the audience is already familiar with the characters then he/she might not make it easy for new viewers to get invested.

For me, I had seen Ashoka in Mando but otherwise I was not really invested in the character. Most of the rest I had not seen before. So the intended emotion did not always work, because for ex I did not see two characters that I already liked meeting again. I saw one character that I knew little of meeting a character that I had never seen before.

All the hints, nods and winks to other stuff had no impact as I did not know what that was. It was clear that the show was going "Hey, here is this thing from this other show, isn't it neat?" But that fell flat for me.
    Plus a bunch of stuff just happened with no explanation. Guy that is killed and turns to smoke, what was that?

Ashoka is not bad, it is ok/fine but I feel that I was not the intended audience. I had the same feeling when watching Book of Boba Fett when suddenly we got Mando season 2,5 and I had not finished season 2 of Mando yet. And throwing in black hat guy.

Lastly, something I felt was a bit lacking was stakes. Sabine got stabbed with a lightsaber in the first ep and survived that, no problem. In the last ep, the good guys survive against quite bad odds, no problem.
    Thrawn gets back but Ashoka seems to view that as no big deal. At the start of ep 8, they move quite slowly along with the turtle people and their ship was working fine. So were they in a hurry or not?
    Sabine and Ezra never talk about her siding with the bad guys, in effect undoing his sacrifice. Thus making that seem like no big deal. Missed opportunity to me.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

9. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I respect that, but we're talking about slightly different things. My post was in response to what Bor Mullet said and concerns people who do engage with the show but have odd complaints.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  10. PolymerSkywalker

PolymerSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2023
    Why do we feel this show has failed to bring in the casual fans? Too nuanced with all the rebels required watching to fully understand it?

I saw where this show is well below Mando 2 from a viewership standpoint according to Nielson numbers.

11. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    AHSOKA works fine on its own. I believe one contributing factor, though, is that shows centered on female characters tend to attract less viewers than those centered on male characters. Especially if the title character is relatively or completely unknown to the general public. As famous as Ahsoka is in Star Wars Land, she's not anywhere near the level of Luke, Leia, Vader etc.
    People are simply less inclined to invest in a series about this "new" female character because of systemic and individual prejudice. Ratings are also affected by this.
    Now, AHSOKA still has a lot going for it and is popular. Also, other factors do of course affect viewership. But people's attitudes toward different genders is definitely a factor.

rumblewagon and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    On one hand I see the ridiculous approach people had to Reva and Rose in terms of off the walls criticism.

In the middle, we have Rey, but she suffered from Mary Sue criticisms that could have been leveled at Luke or Anakin.

And then on another hand I see that Jyn Erso and Rogue One are generally considered amazing.

Ahsoka is certainly liked more than the ST and Kenobi, I think, but not as much as Rogue One.

So I don't really know whether gender, race or the character proximity narratively to the Holy Perfect OT cast is the issue.

13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Gender and race are always issues for the narrow-minded and that always affects ratings. Let's not pretend that this isn't a thing.
    Also, let's not pretend that I said it is "THE issue" when I clearly, unambiguously, stated that several factors affect ratings.

rumblewagon and Sinrebirth like this.
  14. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I think bad press from the sequels and Mando s3 I the biggest reason Star Wars appears to be declining

PolymerSkywalker likes this.
  15. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Doubtful, just some shows and movies dont appeal to them.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I know what you said, I was just trying to gauge how much it impacted the show. It was more loud and strident with Rose and Reva, on my Facebook/Insta feed, less so with Ahsoka.

For me, for example, it didn't impact me whatsoever and I can't really understand the criticism.

I've enjoyed the female representation being improved on-screen. But I lived with Mara, Callista, Jaina, Tahiri and a host of other female protagonists in Legends and I was already disappointed they cut Padme's scenes in Revenge of the Sith. Let's not even get into the appalling LGBT representation in Legends.

BadBaby, Lulu Mars and Watcherwithin like this.
  17. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    You think it’s doubtful that poor reviews are having an effect on the public opinion and enthusiasm?

Sarge likes this.
  18. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    They dont poor reviews, mixed yes. But also good. I dont think its a decline of the Franchise

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think some of that is simply the natural results of combining a more contemplative pace with a more simplified story in modern pop culture, which tends to hold up more "dense" storytelling or accept a quicker pace in "recompense." In a way, it's an old argument over types of entertainment art, especially because some people engage with art from a more visual or a more story-centric way; I think Ahsoka leaned much more towards visual immersion over-all, while being comparatively thin on story.

I know I tend to approach immersion more from story, arcs, subplots, and characterization than visuals; I even know my preference verges on blocking me from some more visualized art, since there's at least a few movies usually accused of too-complicated plots that I love, while I've never really been attracted by visuals.

I liked this show... but I do feel it had a dearth of story and characterization in comparison to its potential - which is also why I'm a biased source, since I'm always going to have stuff like the TCW and Rebels Mandalorian plots as superior to some of Filoni's more restrained stuff.
    I think that there's a "vulnerability point" - if the "culture war" idiots smell that a character or plot point had flaws, they pounce, but they'll stay quiet whenever a character is clearly popular, or even just not seen as a weakness. Even Rey and Finn were comparatively "Safer" back when TFA was released because it had a larger positive reaction, while Jyn doesn't catch any guff because no one has any complaints about Rogue One.

I actually think Ahsoka herself is comparatively safe, while Sabine might be vulnerable.

20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Where would you like to start? I can think of at least a dozen reasons why casual fans would not be hooked.

21. PolymerSkywalker

PolymerSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2023
    Do tell please?

Star Wars needed a hit here, and it didn’t seem to happen.

22. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    This was for hardcore fans and not casuals. Big fantasy.

Darkslayer likes this.
  23. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Quick comment,

I looked at some reviews from people, that left reviews from the start, middle and end.
    And I came across some that did like the series at first, a lot even, loved ep 4-5 but then felt the last two were a step down.

An ending that does not quite stick the landing can leave a series with a more mixed reaction even if the start was seen as quite good.
    I have seen that here, some felt the last two ep were not as good as the earlier ones.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

LedReader and PolymerSkywalker like this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I believe I misunderstood your post. Sorry about that!

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Completely understood, Lulu. A pleasure to chat about it with you.

Lulu Mars likes this.