main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Ok sounds like we have different ideas of what we want in our Star Wars. I want wizards, not cops.

so what I’m getting from all of you is that no it does not get better

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    In SW, there's not much opposition between the two, the Jedi are pretty much wizard cops.

But, more seriously, other enemies do come into it:
    • The Drengir, who are scary but also quite funny.
    • The Nameless, who are far scarier and do not mess around.
    I think the other potential issue could be how plots and characters run across the different age range books. So you get YA / junior story characters turning up in the adult books.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  3. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Well, regarding this - Jedi in THR also fight eldritch abominations, with plants being just a prelude for it.

Kaje likes this.
  4. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    The Nihil are a more realistic type of villain than many that Star Wars expanded universe material creates. A lot of times legends tried to make each new villain bigger and badder than previous villains and it isn't necessary to do that.

Like others are saying though the High Republic also has the nameless. Which might be more of the type of villain that is up your alley.

Ghost, Jedi Ben and Kaje like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    They also reflect that the HR is a time without war, so the villains will, at the start, seem more mundane.

Now, it doesn't stay at that level and I can't say I find Marchion Ro that good a villain, but the upcoming book may change that.

I'm not yet persuaded that Phase II was needed, but am only halfway through. Have also found a way to enable captions on audio files, which will be a help for the Battle of Jedha.

As to how to try out THR cheaply, if digital reading isn't a problem, Marvel Unlimited is likely the best route.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 7 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, yes, very important to introduce new not-dead characters.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Also another thing to keep in mind is that prior to High Republic being released they described the Nihil as being space Vikings. And that's essentially exactly what they are. They developed a technology where they can come out of hyperspace right next to a planet and surprise attack them. And that's very similar to how the Vikings terrorized Europe is that they developed a type of boat that could travel through very shallow waters and were able to dock right next to a population area and surprise attack them.

Ghost likes this.
  8. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    My concern is that Marchion will transform from charismatic and clever slippery little bastard into delusional madman in Phase III and end like Scar from The Lion King.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm... I'm not seeing the problem here?

10. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Sounds good with new info.

11. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    IMO, it is a lame variant of villain defeat.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, he has to go somehow so your preferred exit method would be?

Genuine question, I'm curious.

13. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah I mean we know that Marchion and the Nihil will get defeated by the end considering that some of the people writing the High Republic material are also writing for the material planted in the movie era and the Nihil are a distant memory to them. Whatever they come up with isn't going to ring home for everyone.

14. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the effects of this era of High Republic might be a more militant and secluded Jedi Order and more harsh Republic that we see in Prequels. Maybe we see more dark jedi at end of these phases. Like how many prisoners are at the Jedi prison, the citidel now? Will the jedi come very close to the Sith in destroying the Nameless creatures and the Nihil.

15. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    What if Marchion's signals to the entirety of the Nihil at the end of "The Fallen Star" were intercepted by a mysterious Sith in hiding, of which were then surreptitiously provided to the Republic and Jedi to help defeat the Nihil at the end of Phase 3, thereby making the Republic and Jedi unknowingly indebted to the unknown mysterious informant? It would be the perfect pivot to Disney Plus's Acolyte show.

Ventrix likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I really don't think we'll see those overt PT links. That's under estimating the gap of three centuries. There might be hints of it in Acolyte at that's to be the end of the HR / start of the PT era.

17. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    In a grandeous battle with Bell, Avar or Elzar, with full usage of his tactics and gadgets.

18. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah I really don't think we will hear much about the Sith until the Acolyte show. I'm sure if the High Republic wasn't having to work within a continuity where there are also movies and TV shows happening we would have already heard something about the Sith. The fact that we haven't gotten anything about them until now is a pretty good sign that there are no plans to do anything with them.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's something we haven't seen him do much of. Ro tends to favour someone else taking the fall for him.

Re: The Sith

I think it's rather more simple for their absence in the HR era. Things are going too well. Even with the chaos the Nihil have created, there's not any major weaknesses to exploit.

20. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Lourna De is still alive at this point for a reason.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Unfortunately.

JediFett10 likes this.
  22. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Woundt surprise me if Lourna Dee still around after phase lll. She is a Survivor.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    She needs to be dead, preferably by decapitation.

24. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    But he is no stranger to close combat.

There was some info regarding Sith of the past in Phase I, IMO, there is enough time to introduce modern Sith in Phase III. Although I hope that in case of their appearance it will not be just in epilogue of final book.

25. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah but I think the Sith they referenced was just Bane who has been a long established character already. I don't believe the High Republic has said anything about new Sith characters since Bane was alive.

Though since Acolyte has pretty much finished filming now if it does bring up some Sith characters during the time these books are happening the books could talk about them a bit.

Jedi Ben likes this.