main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    Read Quest for Planet X today, now I have the more ominously titled Cataclysm up next, complete with a cover of a AWL, since we're all about acronyms near.

AWL = Arse With Lightsaber

Bro, you don't like Axel? Nope.

Dawud786 and AusStig like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's not a monster book series. It's more epic fantasy, like a mix between Lord of the Rings and Dune, than the Witcher. The two seasons on Prime are mixed, but have plenty of good moments, more than LOTF/FOTJ imo.

Some short clips that show how Yuuzhan Vong they are - body modification, caste society, theology, embracing pain, overall look

"embrace the pain" finale spoiler

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 36X Wacky Wednesday star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    I think by "monster book series" Sinre meant the length - 14 Doorstopper-sized main series books and a slightly smaller prequel.

4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The prequel is significantly smaller. But yeah, it's an NJO sized beast

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Can I ask, what is compelling about the entire High Republic era? I have a few of the books but have not been interested in reading them. I read the first lot of comics but wasn't interested in the storyline and the characters were, well, boring (similar to the Star Wars (2020), Darth Vader (2015, 2017, 2020), Crimson Reign, Doctor Aphra, Bounty Hunters). So what compels people to read it? What is so interesting about the "High Republic" era?

6. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    For me it is the "underdog bad guys" thing.

Dawud786 likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Competent Republic and Jedi, plus excellent representation for me.

Ghost and Dawud786 like this.
  8. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think I just like the aesthetic of the setting the most. It gives a different but familiar vibe that sets it apart from other Star Wars that makes me want to "live" there in the world. Much like the KOTOR comics did previously.

It's distinctive, where the PT to ST period feels too well known.

I like the characters, story is interesting, but I also feel it has untapped potential for immersion through an RPG, television and film(live action and animation), and stories in the setting but not bound by the Nihil saga.

Ghost and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It’s something different.

Different villains, for a different age.

An actually functioning and ideal Republic and Jedi Order.

Authors having to be creative since this is during the “there hasn’t been a galactic war in a thousand years” timeframe but still great stakes for both Republic and Jedi.

Just learning more about different historical periods in the Republic - the rediscovery of the frontier following centuries of dark ages after the last war, and then the Golden Age.

Diverse characters.

I think Light of the Jedi novel is best place to start.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    TK-2814, Jedi Ben and Dawud786 like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I just really like characters such as Porter Engle, Avar and Elzar just all the characters with the last name Ro.

plus I like the Nihil because they aren’t fascist. Fascism is great as a villian’s ideology but it can get boring after almost every new canon villian is some form of fascist. The only real exception we have had in recent canon other than the Nihil is the book of boba Fett weirdly enough.

Ghost, Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  11. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Just finished Eye of Darkness! What a great book! The pace was fast, the moments were great, I gasped few times and was not expecting what Marchion would do. Soooo good!

12. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    Just finished issue 1 of Dark Horse's High Republic Adventures. Any one else scratching their head by the reveal at the end of the issue? How did that character
    get into Vil's armor? I must have missed Tula's... departure?
    (not sure what to call that character's fate)

13. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm about to start Phase 2 after binge-reading Phase 1 over the last 3 months. That includes all three age groups of novels, the comics, and the manga. That was the first time I've ever read any comics and manga of any kind, and I found it surprisingly enjoyable. I just never thought I'd like it, but turns out I did. The overall story of the High Republic made it feel like a necessity, and I'm glad it did. I'm looking forward to checking out some other SW comic series as well once I finish Phase 2.

14. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Check out the first two Vader runs. The Dark Times one by Charles Soule and then the one post A New Hope by Gillen (the Gillen one introduced Aphra who you have probably seen people talking about if you frequent these boards much).

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  15. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I've listened to the Aphra audio drama + read the script, so I know a little of that storyline already, and really enjoyed it. So I look forward to seeing it from the different perspective of the comics. I assume it's more from Vader's point of view, and probably has a lot more to it since there's a lot of them. So I do think the Vader stuff will be my first post-High Republic go-to. I was thinking I saw at least some of them available on Kindle Unlimited but I could have confused it with something else. I'm still pretty new to figuring out how comic series are organized / sold / etc.

I was obviously really far behind starting the High Republic, but it worked out because so far all the trade collections of the comics have been available to buy the physical copies (which I prefer for any reading material when possible). But it means that if I plow through Phase 2 pretty quickly I may need to wait before starting 3 so that there will have been time for those to come out.

Edit - also, I "frequented" the boards quite frequently from about 2002-2006 then disappeared entirely for quite some time. So I reckon it depends on your point of view! :p

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  16. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    There's a few Star Wars comics on both Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading.

I would also suggest using the Hoopla digital library app if your local library supports it. Good way to read comics, and they usually have a decent number of Star Wars collections.

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What more do we know about these Phase 3.2 books?

June 2024

Temptation of the Force by Tessa Gratton, DR hardback

August 2024

Beware the Nameless by Zoraida Cordova, LFL Press

Looks to be the Junior book.

September 2024

Tears of the Nameless by George Mann, LFL Press

Looks to be the YA book.

Edge of Balance Volume 3.

18. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Those I did find, guess there's nothing else as yet.

20. Darth Vectivus

Darth Vectivus Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 9, 2023
    The High Republic era had a lot of potential but its a very boring era in the end the comics and novels are very forgettable stories

21. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    [​IMG]

Seems like there will be even more connection with Phase II.

Fredrik Vallestrand and AusStig like this.
  22. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Spotted on reddit this morning-

[​IMG]

23. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    More long lived species, lol. Seems only husns and near humans are the short lived ones

24. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Well, Sephi were established to live over 200 years back in Jedi: Yoda almost 20 years ago.

25. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Someone goes into their office and asks where they got that idea for that billboard and they go '0h one of the people here got it off of some crazy book they read'.